Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-05-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BR:Houston Texans: What Are the Reasonable Expectations for Wade Phillips' Defense?

Quote:
Now that Houston head coach Gary Kubiak has hired former Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips on as defensive coordinator, much speculation has swirled about a possible playoff appearance for the Texans. With an already prolific offense, a good defense could be enough to accomplish that.

But just what are the reasonable expectations for Phillips' defense in 2011?

As good a coordinator as Phillips is, there's almost always a transition year for a defense switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

That said, the Texans have a great amount of defensive talent that seems to fit remarkably well into a 3-4. With players like Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, JJ Watt and Antonio Smith, Houston could have enough talent to cover up any first-year deficiencies.

So can Wade Phillips give the Texans what they've been missing in their first nine years?

Let's find out.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...illips-defense
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BR:Houston Texans: What Are the Reasonable Expectations for Wade Phillips' Defens

I think Phillips will great improve the players defensive efforts but not clear if that will translate to wins but am very optimistic. A vet CB and Safety would sure make me feel better.
Old 07-05-2011   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: BR:Houston Texans: What Are the Reasonable Expectations for Wade Phillips' Defens

I'll answer this post-free agency.
Old 07-05-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Hell might as well wait for the bye week, better yet end of season assuming there is one?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Middle of the pack.
Old 07-06-2011   #6
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. I honestly don't know how you can comment until the rosters are set. I believe that scheme-wise, the Texans D is going to look like a 'real' defense. However, based on current roster full of very young players in the secondary, I don't know how those kids won't give up big plays and make big mistakes and would probably be at the bottom of the league again.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

A playoff win or better.
Old 07-06-2011   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade's defense can't finish at the edge of "top ten" then I don't think they'll do enough to carry their half of the "Playoffs Or Bust - 2011" wagon.

Best WR in football hands down! Last seasons leading rusher! QB, FB, and TE who have all been to the Pro Bowl and who are capable of doing it again! Enough TE's to start one at every position on that side of the ball if need be!

And still they're inconsistent and only won 6 games last year. Wade's the answer according to Bob & Rick & Gary. If Wade's is indeed the answer then they must think that personnel on that side of the ball isn't entirely the problem correct? They got Wade, Wade's draft picks, and Wade's daddy ready to testify that Wade's gonna get it done.

If we threaten to bust into the top ten on defense (say 11-13) then we'll probably be good enough to make the playoffs. We'll be good enough on defense to offset the stupid mistakes that our talented but sometimes bumbling offense makes.

So those are my reasonable expectations for 2011.
Old 07-06-2011   #9
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

As much talk as there is about the LB corps, I think that the injuries need to be taken into account. I believe it is CND (if it's not, forgive me) that is in the medical field and has made some really insightful posts about how Demeco may never return to his pre-injury form. Barwin? Who knows. Honestly, if they don't get some FA help in the secondary, I think they may be up s@#$ creek.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Homer in me says hopefully a top 10 DEF

what the boring people will say some were between 16-22 in da rankings
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #11
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

( + ) 3 wins. This is a reasonable expectation. Wade's reputation; current personnel questions; first year transition questions; strike; possible injuries - taking everything into consideration, and at this early stage of guessing, we should be able to take this expectation to the bank. More is homer optimism.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
As much talk as there is about the LB corps, I think that the injuries need to be taken into account. I believe it is CND (if it's not, forgive me) that is in the medical field and has made some really insightful posts about how Demeco may never return to his pre-injury form. Barwin? Who knows. Honestly, if they don't get some FA help in the secondary, I think they may be up s@#$ creek.
Yes. It is CnD or "Doc Jean" that is so insightful with his knowledge and background.
Old 07-07-2011   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Once FA commences & we lock up 1 of these vet cbs i think we'll jump to somewhere between 12-16 with wade's defense. I think the injuries thing is overplayed as all of our guys are young enough to bounce back pretty fast, i think our secondary, while still not all that great (unless they have a helluva FA period) will be solid & much improved from a making plays standpoint without much personnel change. The reason for the improvement? better coaching all around from the defensive coaches & we'll finally see some consistent pressure from our front 7 & someone other than Mario.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
Agreed. Realistically, the Texans need to sign a great CB, a decent safety, and a decent LB or two. Last year they were running very low on good LBs, and backup LBs usually help with special teams too. Hopefully they have the money and attractiveness to shore up those three positions competently.
Old 07-07-2011   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

How's this for a reasonable expectation:

I expect we won't have to spend half a year figuring out whether or not Wade should stand on the sideline or sit in the booth.

Lord, hear my prayer. If we go any lower than that I don't think I can be a fan anymore.....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
How's this for a reasonable expectation:

I expect we won't have to spend half a year figuring out whether or not Wade should stand on the sideline or sit in the booth.

Lord, hear my prayer. If we go any lower than that I don't think I can be a fan anymore.....
Just so you know, I'm running with that right after the first loss this season.
Old 07-07-2011   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 103549 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Phillips will great improve the players defensive efforts but not clear if that will translate to wins but am very optimistic. A vet CB and Safety would sure make me feel better.
Don't forget NT.
Old 07-07-2011   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yes. It is CnD or "Doc Jean" that is so insightful with his knowledge and background.
I was under the impression that CND was a she.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #19
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a lot of faith in the organization right now. I don't know if this defense can be turned into a playoff defense in one off season and not a normal one at that.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with that , too many question marks - CB , SS , FS , NT , the injuries to two of the four guys slated to start at LB. A lack of depth in the secondary and LBers.

If pressed into answering now , I'd say 15-18 , pretty much middle of the pack.

If they are able to solve some of the personel issues and both Demeco & Barwin are healthy , things could look significantly better.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read