Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-05-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rotoworld: Texans will indeed pursue Asomugha

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Texans do indeed plan to pursue Nnamdi Asomugha in free agency.

LaCanfora backs up defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' promise that the Texans will aggressively target defensive needs this summer. The front office and coaching staff feel pressure to "finally break through" with the first playoff berth in franchise history, and the first step is fixing the league's worst secondary. LaConfora expects Johnathan Joseph to be a fallback option. Safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who played under Phillips in Dallas, could be targeted as well.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Rotoworld: Texans will indeed pursue Asomugha

Lets get it!

EDIT: In before pessimism.
Old 07-05-2011   #3
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

The NFL lockout hasn't done the Houston Texans any favors.

For all of the talk about how the labor strife has impacted rookie players and rookie head coaches, the Texans also are in bind as they look to switch to a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Wade Phillips and, more to the point, change the entire culture on that side of the ball.

There is significant pressure on the franchise to finally break through and reach the playoffs, and that task is only compounded by all of the teaching, learning and bonding time lost because of the lockout. That's all the more reason for the Texans to be aggressive in free agency, and all the more reason for them to target specific areas of the defense.

The Texans indeed are prepared to be aggressive in free agency, according to league sources, and will be among the teams pursuing All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.

While awaiting a collective bargaining agreement and new free-agency rules, it's very difficult to gauge the market and how high the price for a top cornerback will go. But look for the Texans to closely monitor that market and determine if the price point on Asomugha fits their budget.

The secondary is an area in need of upgrade, and the Texans routinely have been willing to spend under dedicated owner Bob McNair. So they will target that area in free agency.

A year ago, the Texans let cornerback Dunta Robinson go, a move that was understandable given concerns about his injury history and his salary spiraling on the open market (he signed a six-year, $57 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons). Houston made a concerted push to land free-agent cornerback Leigh Bodden but ultimately lost out as he remained in New England.

Asomugha is far and away the premier cornerback available this year, but the Bengals' Jonathan Joseph is another option.

Houston also is looking for safety help, and Gerald Sensabaugh is a logical free-agent candidate. I expect the Texans to make a bid for him as well.

Sensabaugh has strong ties to Phillips through their time together in Dallas and knows the coach's system well. Sensabaugh could help teach it to others, with time of the essence after the lockout ends.

Adding a shutdown corner and a dependable safety will be imperative for a Houston team that has fallen prey to critical breakdowns at crucial times and a defense that has yielded shocking amounts of yardage and points far too often. Change is needed, and Phillips will look to shake up the make-up and attitude of that unit whenever the market finally opens.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

We first mentioned this back in January on TBB. It doesn't mean we'll sign him but it's clear that the front office is ready to make some moves.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith: Hey Nnamdi's agent, how does 30 million over 5 years sound?
Aso's Agent: HAHAHAHA (hangs up phone)
Rick Smith: Hello? Are you there?
...silence...
Rick Smith: Well we tried. Guess I'll call Phillip Buchanon!
Old 07-05-2011   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I just read last week that he won't play for a team that isn't a contender.. If you think the Texans are a contender, then this could be right. But I think this will end up as a half hearted, exploratory attempt that ends up with a lesser guy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/779/nnamdi-asomugha

Quote:
FOX Sports' Adam Caplan considers the Cowboys "doubtful" to land free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.Caplan confirms that Asomugha is "expected" to sign with a contender, but Dallas will apparently focus on more affordable options in free agency.
Old 07-05-2011   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Lets get it!

EDIT: In before pessimism.
That takes me out of the thread.
Old 07-05-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Rick Smith: Hey Nnamdi's agent, how does 30 million over 5 years sound?
Aso's Agent: HAHAHAHA (hangs up phone)
Rick Smith: Hello? Are you there?
...silence...
Rick Smith: Well we tried. Guess I'll call Phillip Buchanon!
Exactly what will happen. Sure, anyone can say they'll go after this guy or that guy or a guy like Aso but realistically any GM with half a brain knows that it's going to cost like 70 plus Million dollars on a multi year deal to sign Aso. If the Texans aren't willing to spend that kind of money on him, then they have no chance at signing him. There are going to be a bunch of bidders for Aso and if you're not willing to play in the auction, then you're not serious about signing the guy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #9
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Exactly what will happen. Sure, anyone can say they'll go after this guy or that guy or a guy like Aso but realistically any GM with half a brain knows that it's going to cost like 70 plus Million dollars on a multi year deal to sign Aso. If the Texans aren't willing to spend that kind of money on him, then they have no chance at signing him. There are going to be a bunch of bidders for Aso and if you're not willing to play in the auction, then you're not serious about signing the guy.
If the Texans that go after him, then I add them to the following:

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?
Old 07-05-2011   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I think 70 million (~45 mill guaranteed) is about the price it will cost teams like the Jets, Patriots, Saints or Packers. I think the Texans will need to shell out Haynesworth or Peppers money to get him.

Just for comparison, last year's big free agent, Julius Peppers (age 30 at the time), went to the seemingly lowly Bears for 6 years, 91.5 million with 42 million guaranteed over the first 3 years.

From Wiki: Haynesworth (age 29 at the time) signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins on the first day of free agency, February 27, 2009. The deal is expected to pay Haynesworth $32 million in the first 13 months, includes $41 million guaranteed and could reach $115 million if all incentives are met (LOL).

The Redskins overpaid for Haynesworth, but given the fact that the team wasn't doing well, they had to make the best offer to get him. I think that's where the Texans are, and they will need to give up a lot for Aso.
Old 07-05-2011   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?
The rest of the NFL

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Old news to me .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?
Packers

and me, I want to sign ASO to a 3 yr 300,000 contract.

Aint gonna happen, just like it aint gonna happen for the Texans.

Oh well. dream on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I so wish free agency would start already so this debate would be over with already.
Old 07-05-2011   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Please stay away from Gerald "Eugene Wilson" Sensabough, Texans

I'd rather just die with Nolan and Keo than spend $ on him
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Damnit, the lockout needs to end just so we can see if they actually try.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #17
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lions
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets

Who else am I missing?
The entire league wants to sign him. Saying a specific team is going to pursue him is akin to saying man is pursuing money.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Amid all the articles that have been written over the past 6 months about the Texans' "interest in" or "going after" him, I don't have a recollection of Aso ever stating that he would like to be a Texan...........until then............
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #19
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Amid all the articles that have been written over the past 6 months about the Texans' "interest in" or "going after" him, I don't have a recollection of Aso ever stating that he would like to be a Texan...........until then............
This is what I've been thinking. Aso will not come here if he doesn't want to. It doesn't matter how much $$ they throw at him or how much AJ begs, he holds all the cards in this.
Old 07-05-2011   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
This is what I've been thinking. Aso will not come here if he doesn't want to. It doesn't matter how much $$ they throw at him or how much AJ begs, he holds all the cards in this.
I remember before the Raiders game this past year he said some good things about the Texans and mentioned he's very good friends with Andre and Walter. Whatever that's worth.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read