Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-02-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nike and NFL's Vick Team Up

Is it too soon? Will Vick after coming back and enjoying reacclimation to fame and "success" slip back into a life of entitlement with no boundaries?

Per the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Michael Vick and Nike Inc. are a team again, as the National Football League quarterback has entered an endorsement pact with the sportswear supplier after a 2007 dog-fighting scandal put him behind bars.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Nike said Friday. "Michael acknowledges his past mistakes. We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field."

No other details about the deal were disclosed.

This is the third endorsement deal Mr. Vick has signed after his return to football two seasons ago. The scandal caused Nike, and other sponsors such as Coca-Cola Co. to drop him. Sports-accessories suppliers Unequal Technologies and Core Synergy signed Mr. Vick in January and in March, respectively.

Mr. Vick has been re-establishing himself in the NFL following his jail sentence. He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009 as a backup quarterback. He became starting quarterback last season and put up career bests in passing numbers.

The announcement follows news this week that Tiger Woods—another scandal-bitten sports star—has signed an endorsement deal with Japan-based Kowa Co. to market heat rub used to relieve muscle and joint pain.

Clearly, Mr. Vick is winning back fans. Jersey sales are a strong indicator of an athlete's endorsement appeal, said Kevin Adler, the founder and president of Engage Marketing. In January, with the NFL winding down, Mr. Vick ranked sixth, behind New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, according to the Chicago-based marketing firm.

Mr. Adler cautioned that while the public tends to forgive celebrities for marriage infidelity and drug use, the taint of dog-fighting may continue to keep companies—especially family-centric ones—at bay.

He added that Nike historically has been more daring in dealing with controversial athletes. "Nike has always been a little more comfortable living on the edge."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 29813 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nike and NFL's Vick Team Up

he's done what everyone wanted. he's said all the right things (even if he doesn't really mean it) and performed on the field. after everything he's been through, he'd be the biggest ***** that ever lived to f it up again with some stupid ****.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pulling for him. But will gaining money and fame again go to his head?

Study: Prisons failing to deter repeat criminals in 41 states (Keep in mind that this study doesn't count those that return to crime but aren't caught and imprisoned)
Old 07-03-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nike doesn't exactly have the most stellar reputation either; so, whatever.

I really don't need to hear their excuses over a dog-abusing athlete when my opinion of them is lower than him in the first place.

What's his excuse for wearing a symbol for sweat shops and child labor?

Plus, here's what I think of when I think of Nike shoes:

1. OVERPRICED

2. Don't fit right and aren't really comfortable (and this is for MOST people).

3. Usually too thick (although this is high quality) and HOT

4. too showy, too immature

5. The fact that some athlete gets paid a gazillion dollars a year to "endorse" them and pretend they are just so great and somehow improve his performance (pft) just makes me think more about how they are overpriced and that I should be embarrassed to fall for that crap and walk around in public wearing their logo.

OK, I'm done ranting about shoes and dogs and poor kids supporting their lazy fathers. I'd say its a perfect match.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #5
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Just did it.

But that's okay, we forgive him now.... and we wanna ride this wave before somone else grabs it.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do gotta admit, they guy was incredible this last year.

No more accusing him of just being a runner. Dude's got skills.

Now we'll see if he can do it in some crappy Nikes, LOL.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I mean afterall, who really thinks a Pitt-Bull is a real dog ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Nike doesn't exactly have the most stellar reputation either; so, whatever.

I really don't need to hear their excuses over a dog-abusing athlete when my opinion of them is lower than him in the first place.

What's his excuse for wearing a symbol for sweat shops and child labor?

Plus, here's what I think of when I think of Nike shoes:

1. OVERPRICED

2. Don't fit right and aren't really comfortable (and this is for MOST people).

3. Usually too thick (although this is high quality) and HOT

4. too showy, too immature

5. The fact that some athlete gets paid a gazillion dollars a year to "endorse" them and pretend they are just so great and somehow improve his performance (pft) just makes me think more about how they are overpriced and that I should be embarrassed to fall for that crap and walk around in public wearing their logo.

OK, I'm done ranting about shoes and dogs and poor kids supporting their lazy fathers. I'd say its a perfect match.
Anything for a buck.

Nike's involvement in slimy Oregon recruiting scandal wearing thin
Old 07-08-2011   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I still condemn Vick for what he has done. You dont get to kill dozens of dogs, go to jail for 2 years and magically expect everyone to forgive you. Yes he has earned his freedom, and an opportunity to get a job. And apparently he has done that fantastically. But I still resent him and any company that would endorse him.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I still condemn Vick for what he has done. You dont get to kill dozens of dogs, go to jail for 2 years and magically expect everyone to forgive you. Yes he has earned his freedom, and an opportunity to get a job. And apparently he has done that fantastically. But I still resent him and any company that would endorse him.
Well said. I feel the same way.
Old 07-08-2011   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
x3............
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't bought anything from Nike since I was 10 and wanted a pair of Michael Jordan shoes. I don't know why, but the thought of having MJ shoes made me think I could dunk on a 10 foot hoop. Maybe having Michael Vick shoes or jackets will make kids think they can outrun the defense. I dunno, kids are dumb.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read