Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2005   #61
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
The Redskins were thinking about giving up the 9th overall for Buchanon and the 38th overall, so based on that, we got a steal...
Im sorry D-Rek but you are sadly mistaken, they never were going to do that, the even denied the trade rumors publicly ...
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #62
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormo
Yeah but the Raiders' had scouts too. Plus a whole coaching staff evaluating multiple seasons of play.
That's not saying much... it's the Raiders--the same guys who thought Sapp could be a 3-4 end. PB was an arrogant, young kid in a poisonous environment. His game was waning, his attitude was worsening and in the end he wanted out and he got out.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #63
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRaider24
Im sorry D-Rek but you are sadly mistaken, they never were going to do that, the even denied the trade rumors publicly ...
Of course they would deny those rumors...Making that trade would make them look dumber than everyone already percieves them to be...
Old 04-20-2005   #64
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

It was a good trade for both teams. They get depth picks in a decent depth draft (not alot of star power here), and we get a young, proven corner. He's by no means a pro-bowler, but as alot of you have pointed out, he basically represents our 2nd round pick, and he's better than any CB's available in the 2nd round of the draft in my, and Casserly's, opinion. He's got alot of upside, and he could flourish in Houston and eventually become a very good #2 for us.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #65
Enormo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I kinda assumed as much. My point is I'm not going to worry about all the derog net quotes from anonymous fans who range from 14 year olds to people who may or may not know what they are looking at when they watch a football game. Casserly likes to take extra picks like this extra Henson 3rd and package for players or picks. He stated that we would not find a player ready to play like Buchannon in the 2nd round. Mission accomplished, Buchannon is our 2nd round pick now. We will just have to wait for rounds 1 and 3 now.
Derogatory quotes? The only derogatory quotes I have heard are from you. The quotes from other Teams fans seem to be pretty balance and well intentioned... and not "from 14 year olds and know nothings".

Personally, I just felt like chiming in on this forum because I follow other AFC West teams pretty closely and Buchanon frequently gets discussed on the Chargers boards I belong to. I thought some people on this board might find an opinion outside a Raider/Texan opinion to be interesting.

I like the Texans and I hate the Raiders... I have no interest in "sticking it to you guys."

I just think that based on PBs performance a 2nd and a 3rd was too much. I think it would have been better spent on trading up (seems like plenty of teams would be willing to trade down in this draft) and grabbing Rolle or Jones . Especially Jones because he seems to be in the same mould as PB... except he's not a headcase yet.

Granted, you wouldn't get the experience that your GM wanted. But IMO (and opinions *are* what these forums are about) I would rather have incredible potential with his head on his shoulders than a poor player who is a lockerroom cancer but has a couple of years under his belt. Especially, if he is going to be starting out covering the slot in a nickel role.
Enormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #66
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Of course they would deny those rumors...Making that trade would make them look dumber than everyone already percieves them to be...
true , after all , they just got robbed by the Broncos......
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derogatory quotes? The only derogatory quotes I have heard are from you.
You need not be that defensive. I wasn't talking about you. I know you have read the two threads. My posts are not derogatory, just matter of fact.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2005   #68
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs down

I'm still trying to understand why Charger and Raider fans are posting in here more than the Texan fans
Old 04-20-2005   #69
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Well, we cant argue one thing: Buchanon has style.
Quote:
The Raiders had been trying to trade Buchanon in recent weeks. The team talked to the Washington Redskins about the self-assured Buchanon, who typically refers to himself in the third person and arrived at training camp in 2003 as a second-year pro in a limousine and wearing a fancy pajama suit.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8401694

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #70
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I might be crazy for thinking this, but does anyone else think that we might have traded for Buchanon to use him in a trade on draft day, maybe sending Buchanon and our #13 to one of the teams that are picking maybe #1-#6 or #7? Or does Buchanon not have the attitude problem that some people try to say that he has?
Old 04-20-2005   #71
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I might be crazy for thinking this, but does anyone else think that we might have traded for Buchanon to use him in a trade on draft day, maybe sending Buchanon and our #13 to one of the teams that are picking maybe #1-#6 or #7? Or does Buchanon not have the attitude problem that some people try to say that he has?
The idea has been brought up before, and I wouldn't mind trading him if we could get a guy like Antrel Rolle since he has the size that our CBs don't have, so he could match up with bigger WRs...
Old 04-20-2005   #72
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

That's an interesting idea especially since the Titans are likely looking to pick up a CB at #6. It's tough to say though because we've got no idea how the Titans have the CBs like Rolle or Pac Man or Rodgers graded out compared to Buchannon. I'd like to say that it isn't likely to happen, but with CC at the helm draft day is always unpredictable.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #73
MikeMc
All Pro

Issues people keep bringing up that are critical of the Trade:

1) PB was a "cancer" for OAK.

--- He is now in a "family" environment surrounded with people he is familiar with. Good friend from college & Miami (AJ), and familliarity with DB coach (Hoke) who happened to form a relationship with PB when he was a coach at Florida trying to recruit PB.

2) PB has not played up to his potential.

--- The coaching staff was a wreck and the lockerroom was already a problem. Being with a team that is as structured and disciplined as the Texans will do nothing but bring out the best from PB.

AJ, canadian and others touched on these facts. I myself have begun to embrace this trade. Now, if the Texans trade down and pickup a 3rd rounder, I'd say the 2nd round pick was worth it for PB. However, after last years' draft surprise (trading up for Babin), I would not rule anything out for this weekend. One thing is for sure, the Texans staff sure know how to play the Drama and keep the fans in suspense!
Old 04-20-2005   #74
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I was just wondering. I have been thinking about this trade today, and it seems weird to me. Even though I don't know a lot about Buchanon, he does not seem to be the type of player (character wise) that I am not used to seeing on our team, he seems like a "me" type of player, like nicknaming himself "Showtime" and talking about himself in the 3rd person, but like I said I don't know much about him at all. I was thinking maybe we trade up into the top 5 or 6 and pick up DJ if he is still there. Sorry if my thoughts on the Buchanon thing are a little off, don't get me wrong whatever we can do to improve our team I am all for it, my brain is a little fried this week...
Old 04-20-2005   #75
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I would suspect that if he played well this season he'd get a decent contract extension for the '06 season. I like this trade, but one thing bothers me. Since its a trade and not a FA signing, does he really want to be a Texan? Because if he doesnt want to be here then he'll probably try and leave when this contract is up...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #76
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we have built a solid foundation of character for this team. We have hard working, humble, sportsmanlike players.

However, you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you avoided players with Egos. The NFL is full of egos and alot of the best players in the league are sporting some of the biggest egos.

All we can hope is that the foundation we have built will allow us to convert the egomaniacs that we sign into good, mature players.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #77
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Derogatory quotes? The only derogatory quotes I have heard are from you. The quotes from other Teams fans seem to be pretty balance and well intentioned... and not "from 14 year olds and know nothings".

Personally, I just felt like chiming in on this forum because I follow other AFC West teams pretty closely and Buchanon frequently gets discussed on the Chargers boards I belong to. I thought some people on this board might find an opinion outside a Raider/Texan opinion to be interesting.

I like the Texans and I hate the Raiders... I have no interest in "sticking it to you guys."

I just think that based on PBs performance a 2nd and a 3rd was too much. I think it would have been better spent on trading up (seems like plenty of teams would be willing to trade down in this draft) and grabbing Rolle or Jones . Especially Jones because he seems to be in the same mould as PB... except he's not a headcase yet.

Granted, you wouldn't get the experience that your GM wanted. But IMO (and opinions *are* what these forums are about) I would rather have incredible potential with his head on his shoulders than a poor player who is a lockerroom cancer but has a couple of years under his belt. Especially, if he is going to be starting out covering the slot in a nickel role.

Two words for ya.

Steve.. Foley..

think about it.

as for a 2nd and 3rd being too much.

we had 2 3rds. We got one of those thirds from the drew henson trade (6th for a 3rd)

so really.. we traded a 2nd and a 6th. and moved up in the 3rd (we kept the cowboy's #73)

This is great value for a young player with Buchanan's talents, who just wants a new start somewhere else.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #78
TigerBait
Veteran

So the Raiders traded Jolly and three 2005 draft picks for the 26th overall? 2 seconds and a third mabye? any1 have anymore info on this trade?

*Edit* well they still have a second rounder, so.....
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #79
texan279
Hall of Fame

Looks like things are going to get interesting in the next 72 hours...I have never really followed the draft like this before, I never realized so much went on, or is this just a busy year?
Old 04-20-2005   #80
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default a small sigh of relief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
I would suspect that if he played well this season he'd get a decent contract extension for the '06 season. I like this trade, but one thing bothers me. Since its a trade and not a FA signing, does he really want to be a Texan? Because if he doesnt want to be here then he'll probably try and leave when this contract is up...
Quote:
Buchanon's agent told Casserly that Buchanon is happy to be headed to Houston, where he will be teammates with close friend Andre Johnson.
nfl.com

I knew they had played together at the U, but didnt know they were all that close... his agent saying he's happy to be heading here makes me like this all the more.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read