Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-28-2011   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Matt Schaub NFL's most underrated QB?

Saw this article and thought it was interesting. Some of the stats I'd not read/heard before. Even if it is BR I enjoyed it. And NFL news is Slow!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub NFL's most underrated QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Saw this article and thought it was interesting. Some of the stats I'd not read/heard before. Even if it is BR I enjoyed it. And NFL news is Slow!
I think that honor of "most underrated" belongs to probably. . . Ryan Fitzpatrick. I do think Schaub is a better player than Josh Freeman currently is, or even Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan and deserved to be a top 100 player.
Old 06-28-2011   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone voted "Most Underrated" anything is no longer underrated at all. He was underrated when we were all still worried about whether he could play a whole season without getting injured and missing significant time.

Just thought I'd be the master of the obvious here.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Anyone voted "Most Underrated" anything is no longer underrated at all. He was underrated when we were all still worried about whether he could play a whole season without getting injured and missing significant time.

No, he's still under-rated by most people who aren't Texans fans or relatively proficient fantasy footballers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

Job well done.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoot I already believed it and knew all about his stats. But after reading that article, I want to go run through a brick wall for him. Amazing! lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wished we had a similarly under rated back up QB.
Old 06-28-2011   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think that honor of "most underrated" belongs to probably. . . Ryan Fitzpatrick. I do think Schaub is a better player than Josh Freeman currently is, or even Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan and deserved to be a top 100 player.
Schaub puts up big passing numbers but when it comes down to winning in tight situations or when the prime time lights come on, or even when he plays at home, he fails.

He is 8-16 against the division since 2007.

Look at last year, we pulled an Oh'fer in prime time last year (and has never won on Monday night. I don't know about Sunday night). And he is 8-8 at home over the last 2 years.

Top 100 players are difference makers and Schaub is not a difference maker. He is Chris Chandler 2.0.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Schaub puts up big passing numbers but when it comes down to winning in tight situations or when the prime time lights come on, or even when he plays at home, he fails.

Look at last year, we pulled an Oh'fer in prime time last year (and has never won on Monday night. I don't know about Sunday night). And he is 8-8 at home over the last 2 years.

Top 100 players are difference makers and Schaub is not a difference maker. He is Chris Chandler 2.0.
I just don't see it as many times as people have said this. There's been a lot of times he's brought us back in games with limited time remaining. It's not fair to ask him to score with under 2 minutes left, let the other team score, and then say he sucks when he can't do it again.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I just don't see it as many times as people have said this. There's been a lot of times he's brought us back in games with limited time remaining. It's not fair to ask him to score with under 2 minutes left, let the other team score, and then say he sucks when he can't do it again.
When he failed to score anything in the first 30 minutes of play at all, it is. Over half the games last year saw the offense put up less than a TD in the first half, IIRC. So while the defense might be a sieve, the offense sure wasn't helping their own cause.
Old 06-28-2011   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I am looking at his 4 years of work. 8-16 in the division is a huge short fall IMO.

losing all your prime time games is a huge short fall IMO.

31-33 over the last 4 years. (of course he missed half seasons in 07 & 08) So if you just look at his two complete seasons he is 15-17 as a full time starter going 8-8 at home. (we were 12-4 in 07 and 08)

And for every "come back" of Schaub's I can point to a choke. Like in 2007 when he rein-acted the mistake by the lake and got trounced by Cleveland. In 2009 when he threw the game losing INT to the Cards. Sprinkle in all the division loses and you have a typical Matt Schaub season.

Hey, I wanna like the guy, I do, but IMO Schaub is a pretender.

Old 06-28-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am looking at his 4 years of work. 8-16 in the division is a huge short fall IMO.

31-33 over the last 4 years. (of course he missed half seasons in 07 & 08) So if you just look at his two complete seasons he is 15-17 as a full time starter going 8-8 at home. (we were 12-4 in 07 and 08)

And for every "come back" of Schaub's I can point to a choke. Like in 2007 when he rein-acted the mistake by the lake and got trounced by Cleveland. In 2009 when he threw the game losing INT to the Cards. Sprinkle in all the division loses and you have a typical Matt Schaub season.

If it weren't for Matt Schaub we would've got trounced in that game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If it weren't for Matt Schaub we would've got trounced in that game.
It was 21-0 going into the half.

Old 06-28-2011   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the reality: Individual players on the Texans will be late getting significant respect around the league and in the media until the team wins. Fair/ not fair... who cares. My only concern as a fan is whether I think Schaub and other players are capable of participating in a winning organization. I certainly think Schaub is capable. But, it will only be proven or unproven over the next couple years.
Old 06-28-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
When he failed to score anything in the first 30 minutes of play at all, it is. Over half the games last year saw the offense put up less than a TD in the first half, IIRC. So while the defense might be a sieve, the offense sure wasn't helping their own cause.
IMHO, that has much more to do with play calling and coaching than any particular player. I'm pretty happy with Schaub but I understand his being under-rated. Until the Texans start winning, he will be. QB's get all of the glory and all of the blame. Remember those 10 or so games the last 2 seasons when the D couldn't hold a lead or KB couldn't hit the ocean from the beach?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #16
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

crunch time, like against the skins and chiefs ???? he did pretty well then.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not like the defense has given him any kind of help. Our offense is GOOD so is Schaub, with a mediocra defense he wont be thrown into pressure situations every game.
Old 06-28-2011   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Not like the defense has given him any kind of help. Our offense is GOOD so is Schaub, with a mediocra defense he wont be thrown into pressure situations every game.
And with a little more consistent play from him, it would be a different kind of pressure -- a back-and-forth slugfest instead of a come-from-behind miracle attempt.
Old 06-28-2011   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Let me tell you about Jason Babin, the difference maker. . .
Old 06-28-2011   #20
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And with a little more consistent play from him, it would be a different kind of pressure -- a back-and-forth slugfest instead of a come-from-behind miracle attempt.
i saw some BAD play calling that gave other teams leads. Not all on Schaub

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read