Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-27-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 3rd Round Pick for Steve Smith?

Damn, I would definitely give up a 3rd rounder for Steve Smith. Put him opposite Dre and have Walter in the slot???

Unfortunately being a Texans fan, I'm going to feel like this.....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-5-things.html

Deal with Steve Smith

Or simply deal the disgruntled receiver.

Smith went to Panthers' management before the lockout to express his displeasure following a couple of frustrating seasons for the four-time Pro Bowler. Smith said recently he wants to play for a team committed to winning immediately, but would not say whether the Panthers were such a team.

At 32, Smith remains a big-play threat who could thrive in Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski's stretch-the-field system. But an unhappy Smith working with a first-year coach and quarterback might be more headache than it's worth.

The Panthers will try to get a proven player in return for Smith, who is due about $15million over the next two years. But a third-round pick might be enough to pull the trigger.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round Pick for Steve Smith?

4th round pick, yes, but I'd be reluctant to cough up a third round pick for Smith.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #3
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

In a heartbeat!
Old 06-27-2011   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

3rd rounder is too expensive for my liking.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Give them a 5th + Steve Slaton and Amobi Okoye for Steve Smith and a 7th.
Old 06-27-2011   #6
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do some of you feel that a 3rd is too much?

Personally, it think he's worth it, he would give us a reliable #2 receiver to pair with AJ. How much better would our already good Offense be then??

I'm all for it!!
Old 06-27-2011   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a huge Steve Smith fan. However, the question isn't whether Smith would be an asset for the team but whether there are better options available. I concur with many that the Texans need another reliable playmaker at WR. However, I'd be reluctant to give up a mid round draft pick and take on his rather large contract and health concerns given this year's FA market.

The Texans have the opportunity to sign a very good and younger WR for similar or less money- without losing a draft pick. Here's a sampling of some of the better FA WRs this season (all but one of the list is 28 yrs or younger):

Sant. Holmes
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith (NYG)
B. Edwards
Lance Moore
James Jones
M. Sims-Walker
Steve Breaston
Santana Moss
Mark Clayton
Old 06-27-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm a huge Steve Smith fan. However, the question isn't whether Smith would be an asset for the team but whether there are better options available. I concur with many that the Texans need another reliable playmaker at WR. However, I'd be reluctant to give up a mid round draft pick and take on his rather large contract and health concerns given this year's FA market.

The Texans have the opportunity to sign a very good and younger WR for similar or less money- without losing a draft pick. Here's a sampling of some of the better FA WRs this season (all but one of the list is 28 yrs or younger):

Sant. Holmes
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith (NYG)
B. Edwards
Lance Moore
James Jones
M. Sims-Walker
Steve Breaston
Santana Moss
Mark Clayton
Other than Santonio Homes there is not one guy on that list better than Smith. I can't believe anyone would be against a 3rd rounder for Smith. That guy is a gamer and comes up huge in big games unlike the other ***** people have been clamoring for in here in Chad Johnson who always has come up short in the Bengals biggest games. Smith isn't about attention either. He works hard and probably has 3 good years left in him. A 3rd rounder? Lol! Please. I find it pretty funny how valuable people actually place 3rd round picks. Does anyone realize how many 3rd rounders around the league that get drafted that don't do anything?? Steve Smith is a proven commodity in this league and hasn't been garbage the last few years other than last season, but his team was in shambles before the season even started. A 3rd rounder would be getting Steve Smith on the cheap.

The Texans won't touch him with a ten foot pole though. He is to high profile for Rick Smith, and he isn't boy scout enough for Uncle Bob. He won't be here. Personally I hope the Patriots get him. He'd go off like hell with Tom Brady and he'd be that deep threat that the Pats are currently needing right now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sant. Holmes
Sidney Rice
Steve Smith (NYG)
B. Edwards
Lance Moore
James Jones
M. Sims-Walker
Steve Breaston
Santana Moss
Mark Clayton
The only player on that list that is better than Smith is Rice (and arguably Holmes who is nonstarter for a number of reasons), and he is a pretty big injury risk who will be getting a contract on par with AJ's.

I'd give a 3rd for Smith in an instant. No doubt about it. He not only provides what we need on the field, but off it as well. He's perfect.
Old 06-27-2011   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

Sant. Holmes Jets won't lose him
Sidney Rice He's going to want #1 money.
Steve Smith (NYG) Coming off knee surgery. Pass.
B. Edwards Drops too many passes.
Lance Moore Solid WR, but not sure if he's the answer at #2. Could be though.
James Jones Makes big plays but kind of has a case of the drops
M. Sims-Walker I'd be cool with this.
Steve Breaston 100 times yes, if possible!
Santana Moss He's 32 lol
Mark Clayton Nah no thanks. He's a slot WR
You got a decent list here, but you have to take a few off with their case of the drops. One thing we can't have is TWO WRs dropping passes. (Jones being 1)
Old 06-27-2011   #11
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Other than Santonio Homes there is not one guy on that list better than Smith. I can't believe anyone would be against a 3rd rounder for Smith. That guy is a gamer and comes up huge in big games unlike the other ***** people have been clamoring for in here in Chad Johnson who always has come up short in the Bengals biggest games. Smith isn't about attention either. He works hard and probably has 3 good years left in him. A 3rd rounder? Lol! Please. I find it pretty funny how valuable people actually place 3rd round picks. Does anyone realize how many 3rd rounders around the league that get drafted that don't do anything?? Steve Smith is a proven commodity in this league and hasn't been garbage the last few years other than last season, but his team was in shambles before the season even started. A 3rd rounder would be getting Steve Smith on the cheap.

The Texans won't touch him with a ten foot pole though. He is to high profile for Rick Smith, and he isn't boy scout enough for Uncle Bob. He won't be here. Personally I hope the Patriots get him. He'd go off like hell with Tom Brady and he'd be that deep threat that the Pats are currently needing right now.
Yeah. That incident where he got into a fight with his teammate has probably put him out of reach for the Texans, unfortunately. That would never fly here. Not a boy scout.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
The only player on that list that is better than Smith is Rice (and arguably Holmes who is nonstarter for a number of reasons), and he is a pretty big injury risk who will be getting a contract on par with AJ's.

I'd give a 3rd for Smith in an instant. No doubt about it. He not only provides what we need on the field, but off it as well. He's perfect.
In the salary cap era, I think 2nd and 3rd round picks are very valuable. Teams get quality NFL players for pennies on the dollar of a 1st round pick or a second or third tier free agent. Obviously, Steve Smith is much better than 90% of the third round picks... However, he would also cost 7 times as much against the cap as the 3rd rounder.

Also, with A. Johnson, Foster, the deep crew of TEs... the Texans don't need a great player opposite Johnson (I'm not opposed to it, mind you)... They need a playmaker that can stress the defense opposite Johnson. I think they can get that for less money and without the loss of a draft pick via free agency. I also think they can get a guy heading into his prime for 5 years, instead of taking on a guy on the back side of his prime with only two years left on his contract.

All that being said: I would be pretty excited if the Texans grabbed Steve Smith this off-season. No doubt about that.

And, you guys are right. I think the Texans' organization wouldn't even consider acquiring him due to his brashness. That is unfortunate. While I generally agree with the Texans' policy regarding player character, sometimes they fail to recognize the difference between a bad guy and an intense one. Smith is intense and opinionated, but he'd be a positive influence in the locker room and on the field.
Old 06-27-2011   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
You got a decent list here, but you have to take a few off with their case of the drops. One thing we can't have is TWO WRs dropping passes. (Jones being 1)
Jacoby is a FA. I doubt he's back. His loss is the reason we desperately need a playmaker at WR. Fortunately, with the talent available, the Texans have an opportunity to upgrade from Jacoby (at least as a WR).
Old 06-27-2011   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant believe you guys, not willing to give up a 3rd rd pick for Smith.

Yeah why would the Texans need another pro bowl WR? When they can use their 3rd rd pick on the likes of Antwaun Molden/Caldwell/J.Jones or the ever forgetable Charles Hill.

Yeah no need to add a guy like Smith who immediately woud become the 2nd best WR in Texans history. BTW, he would also become the best KR/PR in Texans history. Excluding the renowned animal abuser Jerome Mathis. (Even at 32 yrs old)

Nah lets keep that 3rd rd pick. It seems like a good idea. Saves Billionaire BoBBY about 13 mil.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I cant believe you guys, not willing to give up a 3rd rd pick for Smith.

Yeah why would the Texans need another pro bowl WR? When they can use their 3rd rd pick on the likes of Antwaun Molden/Caldwell/J.Jones or the ever forgetable Charles Hill.

Yeah no need to add a guy like Smith who immediately woud become the 2nd best WR in Texans history. BTW, he would also become the best KR/PR in Texans history. Excluding the renowned animal abuser Jerome Mathis. (Even at 32 yrs old)

Nah lets keep that 3rd rd pick. It seems like a good idea. Saves Billionaire BoBBY about 13 mil.
I don't care about McNair's financial status. I care about the salary cap.

I would rather have Lance Moore for the next 4 yrs instead of two, a 3rd round pick, and an additional $3million of room under the cap than Steve Smith. It's not a slam dunk, but I think it is what I'd prefer. I certainly haven't said I don't want Smith on the team. I'm only arguing that the deep and talented FA market offers an opportunity to address the need well without as high of a cost.
Old 06-27-2011   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I think management's way of thinking has crept into some of the fandom. I'm not saying that there aren't legit reasons why a 3rd rounder is valuable and should not be used....every debate has 2 sides. But in the NFL where every season is results oriented you do this deal in a second. Look at what Atlanta did just to move up and get Julio Jones. The sense that they are close and wanted to get the best players possible. I think that if you really belive Wade can make the defense presentable then you have to make some moves like this to get into the playoff zone. Saving picks for a rainy day with a GM like Smith is a waste. It is the same debate with CBs. People want to save cash and sign a bunch of 2nd tier guys hoping they fit when there isn't much time to take advantage of guys like AJ.
Old 06-27-2011   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

We just drafted 1st round talent, Brandon Harris with our "3rd round" pick and people are ready to give up next years for Steve Smith who punched a teammate at practice, and has a history of injury...

Then yall will complain when we have to wait 64 picks from round 2 to round 4 in the 2012 draft.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care about McNair's financial status. I care about the salary cap.

I would rather have Lance Moore for the next 4 yrs instead of two, a 3rd round pick, and an additional $3million of room under the cap than Steve Smith. It's not a slam dunk, but I think it is what I'd prefer. I certainly haven't said I don't want Smith on the team. I'm only arguing that the deep and talented FA market offers an opportunity to address the need well without as high of a cost.
What's the salary cap going to look like ? We dont know.

The FA WR corps isn't very good this yr. Moore is going to get overpaid by somebody and Smiths a better player. IMHO

Although Moore would be a great consilation prize, he's more of a slot guy than a true #2 like Smith would be. My point is with the Ricks 3rd rd draft record Smith would be a better choice than any player Rick would pick. Atleast that's what history tells me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, if we are giving up a 3rd round pick for anything, it will be to help out our defense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
We just drafted 1st round talent, Brandon Harris with our "3rd round" pick and people are ready to give up next years for Steve Smith who punched a teammate at practice, and has a history of injury...

Then yall will complain when we have to wait 64 picks from round 2 to round 4 in the 2012 draft.
Really? I didn't know that the guy had played yet or that he worked out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read