Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2011   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Largest Area for Concern... Corners or Safeties?

I'm with safeties on this one.

We have ignored elite safety prospects for years, with the FO throwing draft picks to the at the defensive front and cb's. I get it too, a better rush and you don't have to worry about your last line of defense. While I somewhat agree, don't all of the playoff teams have a top notch safety?

How we address it... I have no idea. Move Quin back, then sign a free agent? That is the only solution that comes to mind. As a matter of fact, put the number 1 FA safety on my list ahead of the stud corners out there.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Largest Area for Concern... Corners or Safeties?

No way is safety more important than corner on this roster. We have no one that is solid at either corner and closest is Allen. I never got much film of him last season so can not really evaluate him. If we do not get a vet Cb, we better hope KJ can be re-habbed more quickly than I expect. I have been pushing Harris since way before draft and some others are pushing him on radio stations now. He will be a starter at one of the corners by game three. Kid is solid. If I felt more comfortable with Allen I might agree with you. I see putting him and Harris on corners and either Roc or McMannis at nickle. KJ is the wild card.

Quin will be a very good FS and Barber will occupy the other side unless Keo beats him out. Nolan will backup. I think safety has been improved. Of note, I'd like to see what Brice McCain could do with his speed at safety.
Old 06-25-2011   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Corner is a more important position than Safety. We don't have a good one at either spot, so CB is the larger area for concern.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Both!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Both!
How can you compare Safey to Corner. I'm interested in your thought process.
Old 06-25-2011   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How can you compare Safey to Corner. I'm interested in your thought process.
Thought process? I'm lucky if I remember what I had for breakfast lol. I look to you guys for real info
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How can you compare Safey to Corner.
It's not about comparing positions. One broken link can bring everything down. Everything the Texans currently have in the secondary is unknown or known to suck. Sure, it should be easier and cheaper to cover the safety positions. Should be. Thus far in Texans history, safety has been pain in the arse. Matt Stevens, the failed Marcus Coleman experiment, CC Brown, Eugene Wilson, etc. How can a Texan fan not be concerned about the safety spots?
Old 06-25-2011   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47294 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Corner is a more important position than Safety.
Of course it is. Why ? It's really quite simple: the position demands a better athlete than safety does, just like tackle demands a better athlete than guard in the offensive line and everone knows and agrees that OT is a more valuable and important position than guard. Athletes get "paid" in the NFL.
And this isn't a theory, as there's factual evience to document the greater value of CB in the market place. Just look at the history of the NFL Draft and Free Agency. There's really no argument here.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Of course it is. Why ? It's really quite simple: the position demands a better athlete than safety does, just like tackle demands a better athlete than guard in the offensive line and everone knows and agrees that OT is a more valuable and important position than guard. Athletes get "paid" in the NFL.
And this isn't a theory, as there's factual evience to document the greater value of CB in the market place. Just look at the history of the NFL Draft and Free Agency. There's really no argument here.
I agree with all of that, but it doesn't necessarily mean WE need a corner(s) MORE than we need a safety(s). I think it's kind of a toss-up, unless we already have a good one on our roster.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 134324 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go with corner.

If you have a good corner, he can stand on an island and let you do different things with your safeties.

But I wouldn't pass on a Troy Polamalu type at safety.
Old 06-25-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

You could almost look at this question by seeing what is likely to happen if a team has a "poor" cornerback vs. a "poor" safety........essentially having no cornerback vs. no safety at all (which seemed to be the case in many games last year). Without the safety, the cornerback would have to cover the receiver one on one and do his best. He'd probably win some battles and lose some. However, without the cornerback, the safety would lose every battle, if for no other reason than the receiver wouldn't even be covered for five or ten yards. Teams can "make it" with so-so safeties, but having so-so cornerbacks (especially 2 such cornerbacks) can lead to devastating big plays for the opposing offense.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #12
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Like CND said...

Some of you guys need to be more cerebral about this. Couple points I want to make.

1) I think we have more of a make do cb core right now with the young talent we have. We are losing our two starting safeties, so that is TWO new guys on defense from day one. How do you feel about Nolan and Quin as our last line of defense? A step further... How do you feel about Quin being the general of our secondary? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

2) Think of who is actually on or has been on our roster at safety. Our best safety was either another teams trash or a converted corner. One could argue that the Texans d has suffered because of this. And here we go again converting a marginal corner, thinking he's the answer.

3) Great defenses have great safeties. And since we are trying to build something great with Wade & Co., well I don't think we can afford to avoid this position any longer.

Safety is more important to me right now.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Prediction:

Opening day safeties:
Quin
Keo

Opening day CBs:
Free Agent (#1 CB)
Brandon Harris (#2 CB)
Kareem Jackson (nickel)
Roc Carmichael (dime)
Sherrick McManis (gunner)

cut: Molden, McCain, Allen not re-signed

So who is that free agent #1 CB?

Likely: Ike Taylor
Outside shot: Jonathan Joseph
Unlikely: Nnamdi Asomugha
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to go with safeties by a small margin on this one. It takes a better athlete, in general, to play corner but it takes a smarter player to play safety. Better safety play will hide some defecincies of our corners.
Old 06-25-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Prediction:

Opening day safeties:
Quin
Keo

Opening day CBs:
Free Agent (#1 CB)
Brandon Harris (#2 CB)
Kareem Jackson (nickel)
Roc Carmichael (dime)

So who is that free agent #1 CB?

Likely: Ike TaylorOutside shot: Jonathan Joseph
Unlikely: Nnamdi Asomugha
Ike Taylor sounds like he’s ready, willing to leave Pittsburgh

Quote:
From time to time over the past several months, the Steelers deftly have tried to get the word out through the media that cornerback Ike Taylor will be staying in Pittsburgh. We’ve been told that Taylor plans to instead test the market once free agency opens, and Taylor himself later said he won’t give the Steelers a hometown discount.

Since the Steelers rarely getting into bidding wars for free agents, especially then those free agents most recently played for the Steelers, Taylor seems to be resigned to the fact that his next contract will come from another team.

“I’ve been [in Pittsburgh] for eight years,” Taylor told Hunter Paniagua of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, via NFL.com, from Taylor’s annual “Face Me Ike” football camp in Gretna, Louisiana. “I’ve been in that city more than any other city in my whole life, but time will tell. I see myself being anywhere I need to be. Wherever you put me, I’m going to make home.”

With Champ Bailey re-signed by the Broncos and only a few big names hitting the market at the cornerback position (Nnamdi Asomugha and Antonio Cromartie) and plenty of team having to spend plenty of money to comply with the expected minimum cash requirements of the salary cap, Taylor could be in high demand. But he says he’s not thinking about how it will all shake out.

“I just leave it up to my agent and Pittsburgh,” Taylor said. “When it comes down to getting serious, I’m sure my agent is going to call me. Other than that, he’ll let me know when the time is right.”

Given that the time can’t even begin to be right until the lockout is over, here’s hoping that the right time is coming soon.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I vote Option C: coaching. I honestly can't believe that a 1st round CB looked as bad as he did last year without some coaching issues. I don't know if the back pedal thing, the scheme, or just a lack of quality teaching at this level, but I have grave concerns about the coaching on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 06-25-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Prediction:

Opening day safeties:
Quin
Keo

Opening day CBs:
Free Agent (#1 CB)
Brandon Harris (#2 CB)
Kareem Jackson (nickel)
Roc Carmichael (dime)

Jason Allen need not be re-signed, because he is already under contract for the 2011 season.

My bold roster/depth chart prediction for the secondary:

CB#1 - Free Agent
CB#2 - Jason Allen
CB#3 - Brandon Harris
CB#4 - Roc Carmichael
CB#5 - Kareem Jackson

FS - Glover Quin
SS - Free Agent
Reserves - Keo, Free Agent
Old 06-25-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Jason Allen need not be re-signed, because he is already under contract for the 2011 season.

My bold roster/depth chart prediction for the secondary:

CB#1 - Free Agent
CB#2 - Jason Allen
CB#3 - Brandon Harris
CB#4 - Roc Carmichael
CB#5 - Kareem Jackson

FS - Glover Quin
SS - Free Agent
Reserves - Keo, Free Agent
I like this lineup.
Old 06-25-2011   #19
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

We'll probably keep a 6th CB and keep him inactive for the games, unless one of our other young ones is practice squad eligible, ... McMannis?
Old 06-25-2011   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if one of the excess CB's could be traded for a WR like Buster Davis/Roy Williams etc....
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read