Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-22-2011   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cornerback Rankings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...?module=HP_cp2

Interesting read since we are in the market for a CB1. I think the rankings are pretty fair. Obviously, none of the Texans current CBs cracked the top 30. Dunta is listed in the top 10.

Out of the free agents, who would you guys want the Texans to target?
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cornerback Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...?module=HP_cp2

Interesting read since we are in the market for a CB1. I think the rankings are pretty fair. Obviously, none of the Texans current CBs cracked the top 30. Dunta is listed in the top 10.

Out of the free agents, who would you guys want the Texans to target?
Just go down the list basically:

Nnamdi, Ike Taylor, Jonathon Joseph.

Not sure that Champ Bailey deserves to be ranked that high and I'm not sure we should go after him but I wouldn't mind him on the team.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just go down the list basically:

Nnamdi, Ike Taylor, Jonathon Joseph.

Not sure that Champ Bailey deserves to be ranked that high and I'm not sure we should go after him but I wouldn't mind him on the team.
Champ re-signed with Denver right before the lockout.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Kirwin doesn't seem to use the same yard stick on all players. Dunta being top 10 is just ridiculous. I'll be so glad when the lockout is over.
Old 06-22-2011   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

that list was stupid and wildly inaccurate.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

lol @ dunta being a top 10 corner. he's not even the best corner on his team.

brent grimes, brandon flowers, tramon williams, antoine winfield, joe hayden, leon hall >>>> dunta. and that's just being nice, there are definitely more ahead of him.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really really really want Nnamdi Asomugha for what he brings to this team from his play of the field, mentoring of other players, locker-room presence, high character, and work in the community.

With that said, I'd be thrilled if we could get either Ike Taylor or Jonathan Joseph and be able to add Eric Weddle at S.

I think the smart money would be 2 guys for the price of one (although that could be hard to get both of them to sign).

Regardless, we need a veteran CB to come in that commands the #1 spot and I really do think we will get one.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2011   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a hunch that this list does not belong in the 'Texans Talk' section...

Edit: Yeah, no Texans in the Top 25. Go figure...
Old 06-22-2011   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm Rick Smith, my priority list goes like this:

Nnamdi Asomugha
Jonathan Joseph
Antonio Cromartie
Richard Marshall
Ike Taylor
Old 06-22-2011   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta was the best we had here (after Aaron Glenn left), but top 10 ? No !
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #11
Ckw

Quote:
6. Cortland Finnegan, Titans (>): The outspoken Finnegan draws a lot of attention to himself with his physical style. Teams went after him more than 100 times last season and he responded by giving up just four touchdown passes and accounting for more than 80 tackles.
That part cracked me up since Andre absolutely abused Finnegan getting a td and almost 100 yards both times we played the Tits.
Old 06-22-2011   #12
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
that list was stupid and wildly inaccurate.
I'd agree... based on my Saints homerism alone

there aren't many tandems in the NFL I'd put ahead of the Saints Greer and Porter.

the issue with both of them have been injuries in the last couple of years, so I don't know if that's a factor or not. But Greer is a phenomenal CB.

I'll just counter with Yaskinkas who covers the NFC South:
Quote:

1. Jabari Greer
, Saints. When he was healthy last season, personnel guys and coaches will tell you Greer easily was the best cornerback in the division and one of the best in the league. When he was hurt, you could see the drop-off in the New Orleans defense. Greer seems to be healthy heading into the season.
gotta stay healthy though

I <3 our secondary
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Dunta was the best we had here (after Aaron Glenn left), but top 10 ? No !
Not even close ...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

That injury to Dunte really sucked because he was going places before then I believe.
Old 06-25-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Nnamdi is the best CB FA far and away and costs only money that we do have. He just needs to be convinced that our awesome offense will be supported by Phillps defense and our recent draft will help.

Asomugha > Grand Canyon > other FA corners. It is all on McNair.
Old 06-25-2011   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Nnamdi is the best CB FA far and away and costs only money that we do have. He just needs to be convinced that our awesome offense will be supported by Phillps defense and our recent draft will help.

Asomugha > Grand Canyon > other FA corners. It is all on McNair.
No it isn't all on McNair. What if Aso wants $27 mil per year? I'll never get why people can't understand there has to be a cut off somewhere.
Old 06-25-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No it isn't all on McNair. What if Aso wants $27 mil per year? I'll never get why people can't understand there has to be a cut off somewhere.
And beyond that, Nnamdi is probably going to have different price levels for different clubs based on whether he wants to go there or not.
Old 06-25-2011   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where is your cut off?

Mine is the highest paid CB in the game for the 1st 3 yrs of his 5 yr contract. With escalator clauses to assure he stays the highest paid CB. This along with the highest paid signing bonus for a CB. Just compare it to whoever was the highest paid CB and give him 10% more.

To get the best FA's you've got to pay the best. When you're a losing organization. Billionaire BoBBy will never do this.

Remember the we're not going to do anything crazy thread? That thread tells you all you need to know about Billionaire BoBBy's mindset.

Meanwhile I wonder how much concessions/tickets etc... will go up in the 2012/2013 season? Billionaire BoBBY has got to make up for losing $$$$ by not getting to raise prices for the 2011/2012 season somehow.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Where is your cut off?

Mine is the highest paid CB in the game for the 1st 3 yrs of his 5 yr contract. With escalator clauses to assure he stays the highest paid CB. This along with the highest paid signing bonus for a CB. Just compare it to whoever was the highest paid CB and give him 10% more.

To get the best FA's you've got to pay the best. When you're a losing organization. Billionaire BoBBy will never do this.
And if 10% more than the next highest CB is not enough? How far up do you go? 2x? 3x?

Eventually, you have to have a cut off.

And by all accounts, we were about to make DUNTA one of the highest paid CBs in the league so we should be prepared to make Nnamdi a pretty lucrative offer.

But if he doesn't want it, if he doesn't like us or someone on our team OR if he likes some other team's chances a lot better or something, he could turn us down even if we offer him 2x the next highest paid CB.
Old 06-25-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Someone is going to pay him.

The cutoff for aso should be the highest possible price that the team is reasonably capable of spending.

What that amount is going to be I have no idea.

But I do know that whatever some other team is willing to pay I'm pretty sure we could at least match it.

All of this is subject to him actually wanting to come here though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read