Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2004   #1
Panther5407
All Pro

Default How do you view the Texan starters?

This is how I think that the Texans D will work best in the upcoming season. Look forward to your thoughts.

Coleman McCree

Robinson Babin Wong Sharper Peek Glenn

Robario Smith Seth Payne Gary Walker

I would like to see Shantee Orr play more this season. He brought a lot of intensity. In my mind he could rotate with Peek or even Smith on the long pass situations.
Panther5407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #2
Panther5407
All Pro

Didnt come out the way i planned, i had it to were the names would be in the same spots as postion. So back line is safties, then its cb/ol/in/in/ol/cb and then the d line, just thought i clear that one up.
Old 06-15-2004   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Absent injury or a lack of progress, the DL is set as you have it. For now the pencilled in LB's are Babin, Sharper, Foreman and Wong although Wong has been getting some work at ILB this week. Capers says that is preparing in case of injury--training camp will tell us if that is true or they think Peek is ready to start. There hasn't been a whisper of news about McCree working out at SS and given the reporting about Pitts' move to LG and Wong playing ILB some, doubt that McCree is getting tried out at SS.
Old 06-15-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I would like to see Shantee Orr play more this season. He brought a lot of intensity. In my mind he could rotate with Peek or even Smith on the long pass situations.
Smith is a DT tackle, he is not going to switch with Orr.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Smith is a DT tackle, he is not going to switch with Orr.
Actually Smith is palying DE in the 3-4.
Old 06-16-2004   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

McCree will be playing backup...Brown will not surrender the SS job. And Casserly said at the draft party that Brown will be playing next to Coleman in the secondary.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #7
Panther5407
All Pro

I just think that its odd that we bring in McCree to be an upgrade and now after half a season, hes going to be on the bench. You would think that he would be more active within the backfield of the Texans D.
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2004   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I just think that its odd that we bring in McCree to be an upgrade and now after half a season, hes going to be on the bench. You would think that he would be more active within the backfield of the Texans D.
Why is that odd? You bring in players that you think will be better players than what you have. McCree was a better player than Stevens but why stop there? Bottom line is we picked him up off waivers. That means he could not stick to another teams roster. We all saw what happens to teams that do not have quality depth last year. We ended up 30th in defense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, regarding the secondary... I imagine McCree will play in many nickel situations with Coleman sliding to the outside and probably Robinson moving to the slot receiver... So, McCree has value for us, even without injury issues, as he helps us dramatically upgrade the nickel defense. It sounds like Faggins would round out the dime defense. That secondary (Robinson, Glenn, Coleman, Faggins, McCree, Brown) has the potential to be a team strength. Defenses use nickel and/or dime packages almost as much as they do their base defense... So, you'll see McCree on the field plenty!
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I can imagine McCree playing in the nickel packages but Marcus Brown will start at SS. Oh and about you starting LBs, I think Foreman will start this season out on the inside with Wong on the outside, though we might see Wong moveing inside and starting Peek later in the season.
Old 06-16-2004   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Peek is ready to displace Foreman.
Peek is an OLB. Foreman is an ILB. The only way Peek displaces Foreman is the domino theory--he bumps Wong to inside and Wong bumps Foreman to the bench.
Old 06-16-2004   #12
clandestin
Veteran

clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin

I like it, but get a FB in there and get rid of a WR!, especially if you have Bruener in there. If Bruener is in the game, it should be I formation and pound it, with the occasional play-action pass.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #14
J-Man
Veteran

I like the X's and O's look. Only thing I took real issue with was the TE spot, I see Miller still being the penciled in as the starter. How I expect that to translate is a "TE by committee" situation. Not sure that Wong will make the move to the inside quite yet...I would love it if that is the case because it would mean that Peek and Babin's skill progression is excellent.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #15
clandestin
Veteran

We'll of course see plenty of formations on the offensive side of the ball, what I like in particular about his one is that it remains unpredictable, in terms of going run or pass. Replace Bruener w/ Miller and it's a sure fire passing formation, replace gaffney with Norris and you're showing run, in this case both options appear to be threatening--particularly in first down situations.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #16
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

I see what your saying and i actully like the formation you could pass to AJ, Gaff, Or Corey also set up DD on a Draw play
B.Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Hey 'stin,

I like the basic thought but just a quick note. It appears you have eight on the LOS. Who would you have step back? Johnson, making Bruener eligible; Bruener, making him a wing or X-back. Or are you thinking "mind game" and stepping Wand back making him a wing or X-back; or Bradford, making Wand tackle eligible ?
....... hmmmm, on a pass play letting Wand step back could be interesting if we were playing against 3-4 defense.
Teams must have at least 7 have to be on the line of scrimmage. You can have more than 7 but all players who are eligible to catch a pass cannot have another player on the LOS outside of them for that is an illegal formation. In Clandestine's formation the TE would be eligible once he is put into motion. If AJ steps back and goes into motion then the TE is eligible also since he is the end player on the LOS. These rules are where the terms "tight end" and "split end" come from. The player caping the Tackle is an end. Either "tight" or "split" (out).

Old 06-17-2004   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought 11 players had to be on the field first of all

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

He has 11. You just have to have at least 7 on the line of scrimmage.

Old 06-17-2004   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh! sorry didnt scroll over and see the other plar, Im drunk Excuse me

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read