Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2011   #41
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [LZ] Unsolicited damage control for Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
So if neither of us know for sure, why would we just 100% believe what a few ex-players try to say (especially when it comes off as them just being mad about being fired from playing for the Texans)?

I'd be pissed off, too, if a sorry excuse for a team (The Texans) cut me or wanted me gone. It hits at a man's pride when you think you're being booted from a place that you think should be glad to have you.

Some people choose to not try and paint their former employer as being evil and worthless. I was fired from a very prominent organization right out of college (it was my first job after college). For awhile, all I could do was talk bad about them and say how wrong they were, and blah blah blah. After several years, I just realized that really I wasn't a good fit in that place. A lot of people are, but I was not. So be it. Today, I talk very neutral about that organization--I limit by hate speech when someone asks me about what it was like to work there.

I just think it's wisdom to move on from a place you were fired from, and to not let it get so under your skin that you can only gripe to everybody about how "bad" it is to have worked there. To me, Ahman Green did more harm to his character than he did to Rick Smith's. That's the last of what I want to post on this topic. I think everyone knows how we all feel, even if our opinions are different. I respect your position.
GP man I love your posts sometimes bro, but do you have to essay all of them?!?!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #42
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
One thing I like about Kubiak and Smith is that I believe they learn and grow from mistakes.
What??? They hire a first time DC, and after being forced to fire him...then they hire another first time DC. Or they struggle with the league's youngest defense, and their answer is...to get even younger. I see zero growth from either man in regards to their profession. They still seem like rookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
But, if he fails next year, that will be six years with no playoff run. That's blatant and inexcusable and hard to ignore. He will never live that down.
Kubiak become David Shula with another losing season. I hope Kubiak's dad has a steakhouse that needs a manager.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-22-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #43
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubes and rick fail

then Wade is our HC i for see this

its the since of streamline approach that mcnair wanted
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
GP man I love your posts sometimes bro, but do you have to essay all of them?!?!
I know, I know.

I start off like this....

Then I throw in a few more things that I think I want to say.

And I should stop right there, but then I think of more stuff. Then I go back and edit the post because one paragraph would fit better at the top instead of at the end of the post. Then I go and realize I used bad grammar or need to correct some spelling.

After awhile, it likes like this.

"I. Am a lover of sentences. I love to think of them. To write them down, and just re-organize the structure of them. I'm sorry...I just get so, uh, emotional about sentences. (wipes tears from eyes) I just LOVE SENTENCES!...."
Old 06-22-2011   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
If Kubes and rick fail

then Wade is our HC i for see this

its the since of streamline approach that mcnair wanted
So, let me ask you guys something.

Am I the antithesis of Norg?
Old 06-22-2011   #46
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What??? They hire a first time DC, and after being forced to fire him...then they hire another first time DC. Or they struggle with the league's youngest defense, and their answer is...to get even younger. I see zero growth from either man in regards to their profession. They still seem like rookies.

Kubiak become David Shula with another losing season. I hope Kubiak's dad has a steakhouse that needs a manager.
I'm honestly not sure if that points more at Kubiak/Smith or the man who signs BOTH of their checks.
Old 06-22-2011   #47
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Rick Smith as the "last man standing" if we're talking about McNair getting rid of guys. I think he's tied pretty closely to Bob and Cal.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2011   #48
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know, I know.

I start off like this....

Then I throw in a few more things that I think I want to say.

And I should stop right there, but then I think of more stuff. Then I go back and edit the post because one paragraph would fit better at the top instead of at the end of the post. Then I go and realize I used bad grammar or need to correct some spelling.

After awhile, it likes like this.

"I. Am a lover of sentences. I love to think of them. To write them down, and just re-organize the structure of them. I'm sorry...I just get so, uh, emotional about sentences. (wipes tears from eyes) I just LOVE SENTENCES!...."
I like the longer posts in many cases. That usually shows that the poster is willing to explain and ellaborate on his thoughts and why they came to the conclusion of their opinion instead of just writing a simple statement without examples or a thorough explanation of why their opinion became what it is. Sometimes short, sweet, and simple is better fit and the easier way to go, but I'd rather get a better understanding of why someone thinks the way they do.

Now go write an essay!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I like the longer posts in many cases. That usually shows that the poster is willing to explain and ellaborate on his thoughts and why they came to the conclusion of their opinion instead of just writing a simple statement without examples or a thorough explanation of why their opinion became what it is. Sometimes short, sweet, and simple is better fit and the easier way to go, but I'd rather get a better understanding of why someone thinks the way they do.

Now go write an essay!
Stated another way - I like people who explain their opinions.
Old 06-22-2011   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Truth hurts, The 2 reasons Smith still has his job are.

1. Billionaire BoBBy doesn't want to admit he made a mistake and pay off his contract. Same goes with Gary.

2 People dont want to talk about this but race has a place in him keeping his job. Billionaire BoBBy wants to come across as a guy who is forward thinking when it comes to hiring minorities within the Texans organization. This also played a part in Smith getting a seat on the competition committee.

This is more important to Billionaire BoBBY than winning and losing. Because if Smith was judged by his record on draft/FA/coaches/hiring scouts/ WL record like most other GM's in the NFL Smith and Gary would've been fired after the 2009 season. Smit has accomplished next to nothing in his 4 yrs on the job. Other than structuring contracts so that Billionaire BoBBY can mke a whole lot more $$$$ than he has already made of the backs of his fanbase and the city/county.

BTW, what were Smiths qualifications when he was hired for the GM position? FOG, (Friend of Gary) or he works cheap would be the only reasons I can think of. Maybe someone can give me better reasons why Billionaire BoBBY would hire a novice HC and the next yr hire a rookie GM to run the on field operations of his organization. No team in NFL history has 2 newbies running a team.

Other than Billionaire BoBBY, this is the root cause of the Texans not being able to put a winning product on the field. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #51
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

GP, I just want to be clear that I am not just believing Ahman or Rick but my position might have gotten lost through this thread which is opinions are out there. While I have not heard from Rick Smith but I am definitely willing to do so. But, why just dismiss one side or the other without ever being there or hearing both sides or some independent source of information who might have been there that's all I'm saying.
Old 06-22-2011   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I see Rick Smith as the "last man standing" if we're talking about McNair getting rid of guys. I think he's tied pretty closely to Bob and Cal.
Rick is BoB's yes man and he's helped make Bob alot of $$$$ over the last 4 yrs in the way he structure contracts. BoBBY doesn't fire people who help him make $$$$.

But this tean will never win a SB with Rick Smith as its GM. Both he and Gary are in way over their heads. Which makes since since he and Gary are friends.

Gary needs to watch his back though. Because if the Texans start out slowly and it looks like Garys going to be fired Smith will stab him in the back to save his own hide. This process has already started at the end of last yr. Rick started distancing himself from Gary and you could see Smiths nose firmly planted up Billionaire BoBBy's butt.
Old 06-22-2011   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Once again, give me ONE (uno, ein, etc) example of a FA that chose not to come to Houston because of Rick Smith.
FAs never reveal why they did not sign with any particular team. I do not expect current players to air their dirty laundry when they never know what their future holds. So many teams change FO personnel that most of these guys understand the game of not burning bridges.

I can't say that Smith is the problem, but it is clear that he is part of the problem with this perpetual mediocre franchise.
Old 06-22-2011   #54
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
FAs never reveal why they did not sign with any particular team. I do not expect current players to air their dirty laundry when they never know what their future holds. So many teams change FO personnel that most of these guys understand the game of not burning bridges.

I can't say that Smith is the problem, but it is clear that he is part of the problem with this perpetual mediocre franchise.
So, in the future we may find out....if we wait for one of the guys we made a FA offer to actually retire?

Smith is definitely an issue, but I'm basing that on (lack of) successful players, not these ego-bruise incidents.
Old 06-22-2011   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yep. I've said this for oh...about two, maybe even three years now.

Gary is expendable, especially with Wade Phillips in the house. Rick? Bob loves him some Rick.

HCs come and go. GMs run aspects of the team that make them able to weather the storm if they do things just like the big boss man wants it done. And Rick, IMO, has achieved that.

This is Gary's game to lose. Rick isn't going anywhere even if Gary is fired. For whatever measure of instability that firing Kubiak would tragically bring to McNair, I foresee McNair insatiably having the need to retain Rick Smith to prove that not all is lost on the Good Ship Lollipop.

Appearances are everything to Bob McNair. He was so proud of an overtime loss to the Ravens because some owners patted his back and told him his widdle fwanchise was all gwown up and big now! He's not going to fire both guys at the same time...he'll keep Rick around as long as Rick makes the numbers look right.
Old 06-22-2011   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep. I've said this for oh...about two, maybe even three years now.

Gary is expendable, especially with Wade Phillips in the house. Rick? Bob loves him some Rick.

HCs come and go. GMs run aspects of the team that make them able to weather the storm if they do things just like the big boss man wants it done. And Rick, IMO, has achieved that.

This is Gary's game to lose. Rick isn't going anywhere even if Gary is fired. For whatever measure of instability that firing Kubiak would tragically bring to McNair, I foresee McNair insatiably having the need to retain Rick Smith to prove that not all is lost on the Good Ship Lollipop.

Appearances are everything to Bob McNair. He was so proud of an overtime loss to the Ravens because some owners patted his back and told him his widdle fwanchise was all gwown up and big now! He's not going to fire both guys at the same time...he'll keep Rick around as long as Rick makes the numbers look right.
Unless he hires a Cowher/Gruden/Parcells type. They may insist that they bring in their own talent evaluators. Then BOB would probably make up a title and keep Smith on boarrd as a defacto GM.

Rick Smith isn't going anywhere and the Texans wont be winning a SB anytime soon. He's in over his head.
Old 06-22-2011   #57
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

At one time, I was a Smith supporter. That started changing in 2009, and completely changed last year. Whose decision was the baby brigade in the secondary. TERRIBLE decision. That alone should have warranted a firing, but I'm sure McIdiot just fired up the campfire and they all held hands and sang kumbaya.

I will say this. Bob McNair as an owner makes Rick Smith look like Vince Lombardi as a GM.

My point is that I feel like the GM is interchangable to some degree because the real root of the problem is ownership. That's the elephant in the room. It's like changing the tires on a car bought at a junkyard and expecting it to run in the Indy 500. The problem is way more fundamental than this GM.
Old 06-22-2011   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
At one time, I was a Smith supporter. That started changing in 2009, and completely changed last year. Whose decision was the baby brigade in the secondary. TERRIBLE decision. That alone should have warranted a firing, but I'm sure McIdiot just fired up the campfire and they all held hands and sang kumbaya.

I will say this. Bob McNair as an owner makes Rick Smith look like Vince Lombardi as a GM.

My point is that I feel like the GM is interchangable to some degree because the real root of the problem is ownership. That's the elephant in the room. It's like changing the tires on a car bought at a junkyard and expecting it to run in the Indy 500. The problem is way more fundamental than this GM.
This organization is almost Oileresque.
Old 06-22-2011   #59
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying that he hasn't, but somebody give me one example of Rick Smith actually bringing a good to great player here....that is not attributable to Gary Kubiak building his offense. I don't want to hear about Kube's draft picks and Kube's choosing a UDFA like Foster. I want to hear who Smith himself has brought to the team that made a difference. I know that he brought in some decent FA some odd years back that played decent and filled a major hole, but I don't remember who or even what position they played. Other than that, it doesn't seem to me that Smith does a whole lot other than tick veteran players off and ride his subordinate's (Kubiak) coattail.

Maybe I'm wrong. So who has he brought in (from what we know)?

Cushing? Unproven?

Mario was the old GM's pick.

Ryans was also before Smith.

Connor Barwin? (Who IS unproven.)

Brown? Leach? Kubiak's picks?

What does Smith actually accomplish for this organization?

All I know is that he got his job in the first place because Kubiak was hired as our HC. That much is obvious...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #60
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I used wonder why Gary and Rick don't work well together they are newbies who tend to be on the soft side and both lack the experience and the intangibles which are needed in or to co exist in the NFL. Rick Smith might have worked with a hard nosed coach like a Bill Cowher or a Jon Gruden type but Smithiak just does not gel well together and more than likely never will.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read