Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-20-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade P.Buch to the skins?

Just food for thought. The skins were rumored to be willing to give up the #9 pick.. for Phillip Buchanon and the Raiders 2nd

Here is the thing though.. the Skins just traded for the #25 pick and are looking to add a QB.

And Alex Smith or Aaron Rogers could very well fall to #13.

What if.. we offered #13, Buchanon, and #73 for #9 and #25?

here is some values for you

Raiders #38 = 520
Skins #9 = 1350
Skins #25 = 720
Tex #13 = 1150
Tex #73 = 225
Tex #47 = 430
Tex #78 = 200

The original trade.. Buchanon and #38 for #9, Put Buchs worth at 830 (or #20 in draft)

We gave them #47 and #78 which = 630.

Now.. if we gave #13 and #73 (1375) for #9 and #25 (2070) that would put Buchs worth at 695. Less than the Skins were originally going to pay, and more than we got for him.

At #9 and #25 we could grab:

Merriman and Clayton?
Rolle and Pollack?
Rogers and Pollack?
Rogers and Clayton?
Williamson and Pollack?

etc..etc..etc..

We would have no other first day picks.. but it could net us 2 starters.

The good news is, if Smith or Rogers is available at #9 (the Redskins pick).. chances are the Lions, Cowboys, and Chargers are not going to draft him... which would make this a desirable deal for the Skins if they wanted to grab Buchanan and Smith/Rogers... and get an extra 3rd to boot.

The drawbacks of this deal for us.. is that no one we get will be as proven a commodity as Buchanan.. and we would be losing ANOTHER draft pick (since we traded buch and need to replace him.. we need another good CB)

if ya think about it though.. our entire first day draft (prior to buch trade) was worth 2005.. the Skins two first day picks are worth 2070.. and this is a draft that isnt very deep talent wise.. so getting another pick in the first is probably worth more than the 3 other 1st day picks.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't put anything past Cass, but I think it's highly unlikely that he does that...
Old 04-20-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

me too .. and I like the P. Buch trade.. but its a possibility.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #4
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting scenario, but I like the team's/Hoke's/Glenn's chances of getting PB to live up to his own hype. I know many don't think this, but I'd rather see the team package 1 & 3 to move up rather than trade PB. They now have an outstanding nickle package and a successor to Glenn. Add whoever they take in the first, and that makes for a very good draft.

For the record, I now hope the team stays put or trades down.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought of this earlier and it doesn't sound like something that should shock us if some sort of deal passing on Buchannon really happened. Buchannon is really a Snyder type player at first glance and the Skins need a cornerback.

Casserly drafts are always unpredictable.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

From everything I heard on the subject the Redskins weren't prepared to give up the #9 pick for PB. I would highly doubt they'd make a deal like that for him. However with Snyder at the helm you never know. He's an act now and think about the consequences later kind of guy.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
From everything I heard on the subject the Redskins weren't prepared to give up the #9 pick for PB. I would highly doubt they'd make a deal like that for him. However with Snyder at the helm you never know. He's an act now and think about the consequences later kind of guy.
Seems facially obvious to me they never made any such offer or Buchanon would be a Redskin now. I mean Casserly is good and all, but what exactly would you say to the Raiders to make them take a 2nd and 3rd instead of the #9 pick? On the other hand they were clearly interested and their spin this afternoon that the Texans got fooled by media untruths strikes me as pretty obvious spinning after getting beat out on a desired deal.
Old 04-20-2005   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

This theory does have some merit. It makes sense because CC has mentioned the "top 10 players". You have to think that the list includes the 2 QB's, the 2 WR's, the 3 RB's, the 2 CB's, and DJ. If San Fran takes a QB #1, then one of the 8 non-QB's will still be available at #9. I can envision scenarios where Washington keeps the #9 pick but trades us the #25 (with possible additional considerations one way or the other) for Buchanon.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #9
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

this article seems to kill that proposed trade http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8401222 seems the skins would not give up a first rounder for buchanon.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I can envision scenarios where Washington keeps the #9 pick but trades us the #25 (with possible additional considerations one way or the other) for Buchanon.
I agree it could happen. It's fun having Cass in charge because the guy wheels and deals and is an inovator when it comes to structuring deals.
Your suggestion of us swapping PB (or what was formerly our 2 & 3) for
their #25 overall is a thumbs for us again of course. Another sweet thing about that kind of scenario that has got to appeal to the Redskins (or another team) is that PB's cap is more beneign than what the Redskins would have to dig into their jeans for to pick and sign to a long term contract a Pac Man, etc. at 2005 price levels.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
this article seems to kill that proposed trade http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/8401222 seems the skins would not give up a first rounder for buchanon.
Although I don't see anything specifically in the article saying that they wouldn't give up the 25 pick, they do say very specifically that they are not trading the 9 pick. One thing to keep in mind is that the 'Skins gave up a #3(76) in this years draft, and a 1st and 4th in 2006 for that #25 from Denver...
So, if they gave up the #25 for Buchanan, they have esentially given up those picks... I'm sure the Raiders would have went for that deal or even less if the 'Skins would have offered it for P. Buch. I don't see them trading the #25 for P. Buch unless we sweeten the deal with an additional pick. Then, we would've given up three picks for the #25... much more expensive than the Babin deal...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see it happening.. say we gave up Buchanon and our 3rd for #25... (which still could happen).. I am wondering why we wouldn't have just given up 2nd and (2) 3's for a move up. I don't see it,because last year we gave a 2nd 3rd and 4th to move up to get Babin...(yes, last year but figure that would be a base to start the assumption)

But like Vinny said..casserly unpredictable...

enjoy the ride.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #13
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Some team must have had interest and Casserly must have really wanted this deal done or else I think he would have waited until draft day to complete it.

Unless he intends to deal Buchanan during the draft at some point.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #14
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I wouldn't doubt that there was quite a few teams interested in a trade for Buchanon. CB is a position that is always in demand in this league, and to get a talented young CB who's still in his rookie contract (relatively cheap) is tempting to any team looking to add a starter or depth. The Raiders asking price probably narrowed the number of teams willing to trade for PB down a bit, but obviously the Texans and Redskins were in on the mix. No doubt a few other GMs were calling in offers as well. Originally it looked as if the Raiders wanted to shop both PB and Charles Woodson, but now that they've shipped Jolly to the Jets they might be attempting to clear enough cap space to keep Woodson.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #15
The Preacher
Veteran

Was this Casserly's biggest Dr. Evil moment to date? Living to deny the Skins? Who knows but a trade seems unlikely Snyder's probably already fuming about the PB trade so he had to go trade away his 2006 draft for relief.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #16
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
Was this Casserly's biggest Dr. Evil moment to date? Living to deny the Skins? ..
Everytime something seems fairly obvious, and this is the direction CC is headed, he heads down another path. Interesting GM we have.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He is very entertaining. You can beat on him all you like about things like Boselli, Hollings, and Joppru, but he has countered with at least as many "good" moves IMO. Babin looks like a keeper. The 6th rounder for Drew Henson turned into a 3rd rounder was good. The pick to get Hollings was a twice converted 4th rounder.

All 4 of his 1st round picks look great. I realize they are first rounders but look at the first four Brown's picks after expansion (1999-1 Tim Couch, 2000 - 1 Courtney Brown, 2001 - 3 Gerard Warren, 2002 - William Green) and compare.

He makes it interesting.

His new moto might be "no more 2nd rounders".
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I agree that Cass probably enjoyed the Baseball game. Kind of intriguing to finish off a football trade at a baseball game. And yes, Cass has no love for the Redskins at this particular moment. For a lot of reasons this is a good trade, but it does place a limit on what we can do the rest of the draft. Some people had us trading with Washington, but most others said no way Cass would deal with them. We need more bodies from this draft. Hopefully we will be able to trade down and pick up another pick or two. Cass might do the unthinkable, however, and use his 3rd and 1st to trade up. We wouldn't have anything then until the 4th round. I wonder if we have anyone they might trade and pick up another pick? Doesn't look like much new blood on the team this year.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Doesn't look like much new blood on the team this year.
This moaning over lost draft picks around here is hilarious. People are acting like Casserly gave away the entire draft. We had 8 draft picks with which to acquire 8 players. We now have 1 player and 6 draft picks so can acquire 7 players. Woe is me all the new depth and blood on the team is gone for lack of one third rounder.
Old 04-21-2005   #20
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I agree that Cass probably enjoyed the Baseball game. Kind of intriguing to finish off a football trade at a baseball game. And yes, Cass has no love for the Redskins at this particular moment. For a lot of reasons this is a good trade, but it does place a limit on what we can do the rest of the draft. Some people had us trading with Washington, but most others said no way Cass would deal with them. We need more bodies from this draft. Hopefully we will be able to trade down and pick up another pick or two. Cass might do the unthinkable, however, and use his 3rd and 1st to trade up. We wouldn't have anything then until the 4th round. I wonder if we have anyone they might trade and pick up another pick? Doesn't look like much new blood on the team this year.
Well, I was thinking that we could trade Wong if we got DJ or DD if we got Benson. We've picked up quite a few back-up MLBs and although Wong would give us versatility, he might not be needed. DD is coming off back-to-back 1,000 years, plus he's on 4th round $--might be right time to get to value for him...though I'd hate to see him go.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read