Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2011   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More evidence of Mario Williams' Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not saying you specifically do this, but a lot of people seem to pile on Mario and overlook the injury issues.
Ummmmm, not only that, but was Sausage Boi or Reggie Bush a better option??? I think not!!!
Old 06-20-2011   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bowling= drinking

Thanks for the research DM.

This team needs more guys like Ryans/Vonta/Foster and less guys like MW. I will give sober thoughts tomorrow.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #23
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
What's really confusing is your sad, inexcusable, defense of Gary Kubiak. This team could go 0-16 and you'd STILL find a reason to excuse the head coach.

Everyone has their perspective. Some like Mario, some don't. Personally, I would trade Mario so fast his head would spin. His heart isn't in the game. But that's just my opinion.
I bet his 'heart' will be in the game during this upcoming contract year. I think he's going to play his ass off, not for Wade or the Texans, but for this imminent big $$$ contract he will be offered in the 2012 off-season.
Old 06-21-2011   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Interesting analogy. It's tough to watch the shark (mario) get reeled in by tight ends, though... Especially, when he has the physical tools to be Reggie White. Unfortunately, he just doesn't have his makeup. That being said, if Antonio Smith is a perch, he was the biggest and baddest perch I've ever seen!
OK. Fine. If we have to put makup on the man to get the production we're looking for, then let's just do it and get it over with.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #25
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard on the radio the other night that Mario has the most sacks in the league since he was drafted. Is this correct information?
He has the most sacks of any lineman in their first 5 seasons in the league I think is what you heard. I have read that somewhere too.
Old 06-21-2011   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
He has the most sacks of any lineman in their first 5 seasons in the league I think is what you heard. I have read that somewhere too.
No, no. He has more sacks in preseason that any other D-lineman from the first round of his specific draft class....since 2008....while playing injured...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
No... He is the sack leader among all 2006 NFL rookies. That's it. A number of players have more sacks than he over the past five seasons. And, there are many, many players with more than 48 sacks over their 1st 5 years of their career.

Still, he has certainly been a productive pass rusher through the first 5 years of his career while also playing the run well. Again, my criticism is specific to his performance the past 1.5 years, especially when looking at how much he is getting paid and how much he will be asking for after this season.
Old 06-21-2011   #28
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
No... He is the sack leader among all 2006 NFL rookies. That's it. A number of players have more sacks than he over the past five seasons. And, there are many, many players with more than 48 sacks over their 1st 5 years of their career.

Still, he has certainly been a productive pass rusher through the first 5 years of his career while also playing the run well. Again, my criticism is specific to his performance the past 1.5 years, especially when looking at how much he is getting paid and how much he will be asking for after this season.
the last 1.5 seasons has been his injury years. If he comes back healthy this season and is a sack master then we will pay him those big bucks. He is gonna need to have an 12+sack season.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #29
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Dale and I rarely agree, but this is one subject I am with him 100% on. Mario is a good player and one of the better DE's in the league, but he has never been a consistent game changer. He is at times in certain games, but then he seems to disappear for like two games and then resurface again. Every year Texan fans complain about the horrible pass rush we have, and while Mario is only one guy he is supposed to be that game changer that is a monster all of the time. He is paid the kind of money to be that kind of guy, and as Dale stated he will command a ton of money for his next contract and he won't be worth it, unless he somehow excells in this 3-4 and becomes that guy. Just like they said in college, he takes plays off and isn't one of those non stop motor guys all of the time and that's the biggest problem with him and I don't see why anyone would expect that to change at this stage of his career.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans scouting department missed (at least public reports indicate as much) that Mario Williams had pre-existing foot conditions. Even before camp the first pick overall had surgery to remove both big toe nails & later was sidelined with plantar fasciitis. Add to those issues which seem to be resolved? he was shutdown for lingering hip & shoulder injury's. To date he has had not played a single, full, healthy NFL season so 6 years later we still don't know exactly the extent of his unrealized full potential

I will say this: With all the extra time off to recover fully healthy along with Wade coming in to revamp this defense, placing Mario in a playmaker's role, MW stands his best chance yet to become a dominant defensive force matching Texans interest & rather large investment.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #31
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
My problem with him is that he isn't the game-changer he could be unless the spotlight is on.
This would be a great thing if we actually played in meaningful games...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Well, we were 4-2 coming out of our bye week last season (essentially in 1st place in the division) and Mario Williams made zero impact during that 5? game losing streak. Those were meaningful games and Mario was missing in action... I know the hernia was bothering him but, did it get worse during the bye week? I don't know. I was really hoping for some inspired play heading into those divisional games and we did not get it from Mario... We got it from Antonio Smith... Few others on the defense showed much of anything. Very disappointing!!
Old 06-21-2011   #33
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
You have to take that in the full context of being a Texans fan. Meaningful to us is playing a team in our division, a game where we might get to or above .500 or playing a team with a winning record. Playoffs shouldn't be in our vocabulary unless talking about other teams in the NFL forum.
:hankpalm :
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

double post. Please delete this.

Last edited by DocBar; 06-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011   #35
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6114 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Ohhhh man...I have to use this one at WORK!!!!
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read