Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2011   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More evidence of Mario Williams' Mediocrity

Criticism of the organization, coaching staff, and many of the players on the Texans is quite kosher on this board. However, for reasons I don't fully understand, when I began to criticize Mario's effort and production midway through last season, it seemed to upset people a great deal. I'm not sure why. Usually, fans tend to defend overachievers... players like Arian Foster, Demeco Ryans, Antonio Smith, Vonta Leach, etc... Guys that have clearly milked every bit of production out of their limited abilities.

Part of the irrational defense of Mario is likely a hangover from the 2006 draft when obnoxious UT crossover fans went ballistic when the Texans wisely chose not to draft Vince Young. I loved the Mario pick then and still have nothing critical to say about it now. But, it would be foolish not to recognize how Mario's play and effort has dropped significantly the past two seasons. Last season, particularly, he entirely disappeared after the Raider game. I have argued that Antonio Smith has been our best defensive lineman since midway throught the '09 season and it is shocking that more people aren't in agreement with me. I'm still hopeful Mario has a huge season this year... Given the possibility of good health and the reality that it is a contract year for him, I'm almost counting on it. Anyway, here is the interesting analysis put together by Pro Football Focus on the best and worst pass rushing defensive ends last season and over the course of the past three years.
Old 06-20-2011   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: More evidence of Mario Williams' Mediocrity

I'm not saying you specifically do this, but a lot of people seem to pile on Mario and overlook the injury issues. He is less effective when he's playing hurt. All players are. The question becomes, "Is he better injured than whoever would replace him?" Antonio was our best DL last year. But he's not better than a healthy Mario, and no one behind Smith is better than an injured Mario.

Injury is part of the evaluation process and certainly fair game. But to criticize a player for being injured all the time is a different argument than to just say he's ineffective, which is far too often what people seem to do with Mario. And IMO, that's a hangover from the 2006 draft. People expect him to be "Super" Mario all the time, even when he's injured.

When healthy, I think Mario Williams is one of the three best all around DEs in the game. When injured, he's still pretty good, but not elite. I do not think he's one of the three best pass rushers in the game, which is what too many people want him to be. A healthy Mario Williams will give you double digit sacks every year and play the position better than almost anyone. An injured Mario plays well enough to keep most other guys off the field.

That's not worth blasting the guy over. It's more of an indictment on the front office/coaching staff for having so little depth behind him that he has to keep playing when he's injured. JMO.
Old 06-20-2011   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Criticism of the organization, coaching staff, and many of the players on the Texans is quite kosher on this board. However, for reasons I don't fully understand, when I began to criticize Mario's effort and production midway through last season, it seemed to upset people a great deal. I'm not sure why. Usually, fans tend to defend overachievers... players like Arian Foster, Demeco Ryans, Antonio Smith, Vonta Leach, etc... Guys that have clearly milked every bit of production out of their limited abilities.

Part of the irrational defense of Mario is likely a hangover from the 2006 draft when obnoxious UT crossover fans went ballistic when the Texans wisely chose not to draft Vince Young. I loved the Mario pick then and still have nothing critical to say about it now. But, it would be foolish not to recognize how Mario's play and effort has dropped significantly the past two seasons. Last season, particularly, he entirely disappeared after the Raider game. I have argued that Antonio Smith has been our best defensive lineman since midway throught the '09 season and it is shocking that more people aren't in agreement with me. I'm still hopeful Mario has a huge season this year... Given the possibility of good health and the reality that it is a contract year for him, I'm almost counting on it. Anyway, here is the interesting analysis put together by Pro Football Focus on the best and worst pass rushing defensive ends last season and over the course of the past three years.
Am I misreading it? Mario is the 17th best pass rusher from 2008-2010 and Smith is #20 in the bottom 20?

So Smith is the worst pass rusher in the NFL and wonder why we can't get behind the idea that Smith is a better Dlineman?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Am I misreading it? Mario is the 17th best pass rusher from 2008-2010 and Smith is #20 in the bottom 20?

So Smith is the worst pass rusher in the NFL and wonder why we can't get behind the idea that Smith is a better Dlineman?
Somewhat misread:

Antonio is the 20th worst over the three year period... not the worst.

And, my criticism of Mario is over the past season and one half. He was fantastic in 2008. As I believe I mentioned, I'm glad we drafted him and loved his play in 2007 and in 2008.

Regarding Antonio Smith, I have very little to say about him in 2008, other than he often played NT (so, I'm not sure how that was factored into PFF's work)... But, my love affair of Antonio began in the second half of 2009. All I have said regarding Antionio vs. Mario, is that Antonio gives more consistent effort and was more productive in 2010.
Old 06-20-2011   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I have said regarding Antionio vs. Mario, is that Antonio gives more consistent effort and was more productive in 2010.
See, there's where you lose me. Until one of y'all comes up with some real method by which to measure someone's "effort", I'm going to continue discounting what you say here. It was a BS accusation out of college that took on life when everyone blasted the Texans for taking him 1st overall.

All that matters are results. If Mario puts out 10% of the effort that you think he should and still has a productive career, then your estimate is flawed. Now, as I said above, I agree with you about the results, but you're attributing that to "effort" (whatever that means), and I'm telling you that the man played injured a LOT. And how the hell do you measure "effort" with an injured player who is out there in the trenches EVERY SINGLE PLAY while he's injured? That seems like a lot of effort, to me. It'd be a lot easier to go sit in the tub and get treatment.
Old 06-20-2011   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
See, there's where you lose me. Until one of y'all comes up with some real method by which to measure someone's "effort", I'm going to continue discounting what you say here. It was a BS accusation out of college that took on life when everyone blasted the Texans for taking him 1st overall.

All that matters are results. If Mario puts out 10% of the effort that you think he should and still has a productive career, then your estimate is flawed. Now, as I said above, I agree with you about the results, but you're attributing that to "effort" (whatever that means), and I'm telling you that the man played injured a LOT. And how the hell do you measure "effort" with an injured player who is out there in the trenches EVERY SINGLE PLAY while he's injured? That seems like a lot of effort, to me. It'd be a lot easier to go sit in the tub and get treatment.
You make a very good point. Unfortunately, I waffle between hysterical fan and critical-thinking wannabe writer. So, sometimes the two meet in a way that is not congruous. Frustration got the better of me last year (particularly when there was denial about his injury). So, while I acknowledged, in writing, that his mediocre play could be attributed to the injury, that frustration still came across.

Now, what I'm saying, is that the team and Mario (for financial reasons) can not afford to have a third, consecutive disappointing season for any reason, whether injury or effort-related. I'll certainly be rooting for the removal of the variable (whatever it was) that derailed the majority of his last two seasons.
Old 06-20-2011   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
You make a very good point. Unfortunately, I waffle between hysterical fan and critical-thinking wannabe writer. So, sometimes the two meet in a way that is not congruous. Frustration got the better of me last year (particularly when there was denial about his injury). So, while I acknowledged, in writing, that his mediocre play could be attributed to the injury, that frustration still came across.

Now, what I'm saying, is that the team and Mario (for financial reasons) can not afford to have a third, consecutive disappointing season for any reason, whether injury or effort-related. I'll certainly be rooting for the removal of the variable (whatever it was) that derailed the majority of his last two seasons.
LOL, props for that statement. I agree with you about having a good season. If he continues to have injury affect his play, then his productivity will impact all that anyway. I just think as a fan, it's unfair to try and judge the effort of an injured player, particularly one that plays in the trenches and has 300-600 or more pounds pushing him around, and doing it for every play, which a lot of healthy DL don't do. All of that aside, however, it's still the results that will determine his future with the team and the game.
Old 06-20-2011   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard on the radio the other night that Mario has the most sacks in the league since he was drafted. Is this correct information?
Old 06-20-2011   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard on the radio the other night that Mario has the most sacks in the league since he was drafted. Is this correct information?
No! Perhaps he has the most sacks of anyone drafted in 2006. I just did a quick check based off the first name that came to mind: Jared Allen. Allen had 63 sacks to Mario's 48 over that 5 year span.
Old 06-20-2011   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked into this during the season. Mario has like the 4th most sacks of any DE in the NFL (since '06).
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we should replace him with Jamison

This has been the worst off-season yet. Thank God for fishing
Old 06-20-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is a difference between not having a high motor and not giving effort...

Mario does not have a high motor, but he's not out there dogging it...quitting on plays, neglecting his responsibilities because he's tired or doesn't feel like it...

To say that he is not giving the proper effort is to suggest all of those things.

One thing that I have noticed playing sports throughout my whole life is that the more talented players not only make the game look easy and generally move more methodically, but they also learn how to conserve energy.

Guys like Tim Bulman don't have to conserve energy. They can go all out every play...

1) because they won't be in for that long
2) If they don't they won't make any kind of impact

We need Mario to be able to make key plays throughout the season. A hurt or exhausted Mario is a lot harder to replace than a hurt or exhausted Antonio.

Hook a shark while fishing and just looking it doesn't appear that he's giving as much effort as a little perch trying to shake loose...But if you are the one with them on your line, you clearly know which one is harder to reel in...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No! Perhaps he has the most sacks of anyone drafted in 2006. I just did a quick check based off the first name that came to mind: Jared Allen. Allen had 63 sacks to Mario's 48 over that 5 year span.
Thanks for looking, man. It was one of the night guys on either 610 or 790 who said it. Probably Barry Warner. Dude is often full of it.
Old 06-20-2011   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think there is a difference between not having a high motor and not giving effort...

Mario does not have a high motor, but he's not out there dogging it...quitting on plays, neglecting his responsibilities because he's tired or doesn't feel like it...

To say that he is not giving the proper effort is to suggest all of those things.

One thing that I have noticed playing sports throughout my whole life is that the more talented players not only make the game look easy and generally move more methodically, but they also learn how to conserve energy.

Guys like Tim Bulman don't have to conserve energy. They can go all out every play...

1) because they won't be in for that long
2) If they don't they won't make any kind of impact

We need Mario to be able to make key plays throughout the season. A hurt or exhausted Mario is a lot harder to replace than a hurt or exhausted Antonio.

Hook a shark while fishing and just looking it doesn't appear that he's giving as much effort as a little perch trying to shake loose...But if you are the one with them on your line, you clearly know which one is harder to reel in...

Interesting analogy. It's tough to watch the shark (mario) get reeled in by tight ends, though... Especially, when he has the physical tools to be Reggie White. Unfortunately, he just doesn't have his makeup. That being said, if Antonio Smith is a perch, he was the biggest and baddest perch I've ever seen!
Old 06-20-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for looking, man. It was one of the night guys on either 610 or 790 who said it. Probably Barry Warner. Dude is often full of it.
Vandameer said the same thing a while ago on the morning show...

I checked myself and they were wrong...
Old 06-20-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Interesting analogy. It's tough to watch the shark (mario) get reeled in by tight ends, though... Especially, when he has the physical tools to be Reggie White. Unfortunately, he just doesn't have his makeup. That being said, if Antonio Smith is a perch, he was the biggest and baddest perch I've ever seen!

See I think that both are closer to the middle than the analogy I gave (Obviously a shark and a perch were for the visual effect)....

I don' think Mario is among the hardest working, most relentless d-lineman to ever play...

And Antonio Smith is definitely not a perch. I think he's better than average...

Or if we are going big fish little fish, maybe he's close to a piranha.
Old 06-20-2011   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both Ray Edwards and Charles Johnson are coming off massive years, consistently generating pressure from the left side of the Vikings and Panthers defenses respectively. Yet, presuming a new CBA gets done, both men will be free to negotiate contracts with any team as they see fit. Given the need for pass rushers, it’s hard to imagine they won’t get big offers from somewhere.
Hmmmmmmmmm... Which one of them would be useful in Wade's schemes?
Old 06-20-2011   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

What's really confusing is your sad, inexcusable, defense of Gary Kubiak. This team could go 0-16 and you'd STILL find a reason to excuse the head coach.

Everyone has their perspective. Some like Mario, some don't. Personally, I would trade Mario so fast his head would spin. His heart isn't in the game. But that's just my opinion.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've done my share of MW bashing, but I find this preposterous, at best. Mario IS top 5 in sacks since he came in the league (48.5) and is very solid against the run. My problem with him is that he isn't the game-changer he could be unless the spotlight is on.
I can't begin to consider what you mean by limited abilities in the bolded quote above. Foster, Ryans and Leach have limited abilities? That's a pathetic description of those players. Maybe you should become an MLS fan. That's what people play and watch who lack talent and/or have over protective mothers.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read