Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2011   #41
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dang.... Ahman Green goes off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Don't call him "boy."

He has his opinion. You have yours.

In MY opinion, Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak were trying to get a RB that this franchise needed. They took a chance on the guy, probably feared he would be a risk...but maybe a risk worth taking--And frankly, since that particular "risk" they took on Ahman, they haven't really taken any other chances on guys. Kubiak and Smith don't want to be on the hook for any more Ahman Greens.

It was the Ahman Green failed experiment that led all three (McNair, Smith, and Kubiak) to say they would no longer extend a nice contract to ANY player whom they considered to be an Ahman Green-type player--A guy at the end of his career who is a health risk regardless of past performance elsewhere.

So on the Texans' end, I certainly see what they were trying to do. It was probably way too heavily weighted on the "bust" end for a lot of people's tastes (I certainly panned the acquisition immediately).

ON AHMAN GREEN'S END...

He took the money. He knew if he was capable or not, but yet Ahman Green could have also had unreasonable expectations on his end, too, in regards to expectations of himself AND of the Texans (such as wanting them to "understand his situations better" etc.).

At the end of the day, it's pretty dumb of Ahman Green to try and say this stuff. Sometimes it's better to just take the money and run (not run your mouth, but rather RUN WITH THE DOUGH and hush).

That's why I say Ahman Green is the foolish one here.
Don't forget that Mike Sherman had a large role in bringing Green here!
Old 06-17-2011   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus Coleman on 1560 taking his shots at Rick Smith, now.
Old 06-17-2011   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't forget that Mike Sherman had a large role in bringing Green here!
Absolutely.
Quote:
That first taste of free agency was exciting for Ahman. With his former head coach and friend, Mike Sherman (Ahman was referred to by teammates as ‘Ahman Sherman’), with the Texans, Houston put on the recruiting blitz -- private plane, floor tickets to a Rockets game, fancy dinner and hotel suite, etc. And, by the way, over $8 million in the first two years of the deal, a good bit more than we were willing to pay.
From a National Football Post column written by Andrew Brandt (Former Packer Exec) when Green Bay brought Ahman back. Obviously, an older article, but some might find it interesting.

LINK
Old 06-17-2011   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Marcus Coleman on 1560 taking his shots at Rick Smith, now.
Coleman was long gone by the time Smith got here. Makes me wonder how he's got the ammo to take shots
Old 06-17-2011   #45
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Coleman was long gone by the time Smith got here. Makes me wonder how he's got the ammo to take shots
Coleman is a "Texans Ambassador" and still has many "ins" within the organization.

BTW, here is linkage to Coleman's thoughts: http://bit.ly/kax2HZ
Old 06-17-2011   #46
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess he doesn't want to be a Texans Ambassador anymore....
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #47
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably old news around here, but I just heard for the first time that Tramon Williams' agent called Rick Smith and Rick never returned the call.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2011   #48
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted that Rick Smith was a problem, not a solution, early on. This was when "In Smithiak We Trust" signatures were in vogue. I've received some flack about that over the years, but nothing has ever convinced me otherwise.

It seems the Texans media machine can't keep a lid on things forever.
Old 06-17-2011   #49
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

It also sounds like the guy's made quite a reputation for himself around the league. And not a good one. No wonder why we're not landing the big name FA's.

I have yet to hear anyone say that Rick Smith is a stand-up guy.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #50
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Whether you are a Smith supporter or not if this idea from former Texans and one player who is still with the organization then things might get very interesting in Texans land.
Old 06-17-2011   #51
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to defend Rick Smith's reputation, but I sure as hell won't let Ahman Green affect my opinion of him.

Green had personal problems? Who the #!*! doesn't?

He gave the Texans next to nothing for their investment and now he's crapping on Rick Smith?

Just go away, Ahman.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #52
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I'm not going to defend Rick Smith's reputation, but I sure as hell won't let Ahman Green affect my opinion of him.

Green had personal problems? Who the #!*! doesn't?

He gave the Texans next to nothing for their investment and now he's crapping on Rick Smith?

Just go away, Ahman.
Now Coleman is taking shots which is not a positive sign no matter who's side you are on. No one here has worked for Smith like these two ex players have before we just jump to conclusions about either Ahman Green or Marcus Coleman.
Old 06-17-2011   #53
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Now Coleman is taking shots which is not a positive sign
Hmmmm.....I like Marcus. This would tend to explain why the Texans seem to do well in the draft, but are non-players in free agency.

Not good.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #54
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Hmmmm.....I like Marcus. This would tend to explain why the Texans seem to do well in the draft, but are non-players in free agency.

Not good.
Ahman has had his moments and is not exactly a model himself but it was Smith who invested the money going in.
Old 06-17-2011   #55
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Mr. Green, will you please point to the spot on the Teddy Bear where Rick Smith hurt you.
That made me laugh Stan. Quick wit, I like it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #56
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is just Green with envy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #57
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'd be interested if you'd expand in the pattern you mention. I'm not remembering too many instances myself.
Not saying you're wrong, though.
There just seems to be a lot of players that leave here and either bash the way that management handles things or bashes the way the team is ran from the coaching staff as if it's not really a serious organization. Dunta did when he left, Carr did when he left, Reeves has since he hasn't been here, Green now is going off, and we've also got Coleman saying things that aren't exactly positive as well. There have been others who have said things to, but these are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment. I know that guys like Carr and Green aren't the best examples since they played like shit here, but there has been a pattern of negativity after players leave here and we haven't seem to have heard anything positive about Rick Smith from anyone. I hear players all of the time leave other teams say how much they loved the organization and the management but things just didn't work out and they had to leave. I don't ever hear any ex players saying that about Smith. Not surprised either.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #58
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
There just seems to be a lot of players that leave here and either bash the way that management handles things or bashes the way the team is ran from the coaching staff as if it's not really a serious organization. Dunta did when he left, Carr did when he left, Reeves has since he hasn't been here, Green now is going off, and we've also got Coleman saying things that aren't exactly positive as well. There have been others who have said things to, but these are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head at the moment. I know that guys like Carr and Green aren't the best examples since they played like shit here, but there has been a pattern of negativity after players leave here and we haven't seem to have heard anything positive about Rick Smith from anyone. I hear players all of the time leave other teams say how much they loved the organization and the management but things just didn't work out and they had to leave. I don't ever hear any ex players saying that about Smith. Not surprised either.
When you have this amount of players saying negative thing whether good or bad.
Old 06-17-2011   #59
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It's easy to bash a loser. It's like a grown man bullying a young boy.

These dip-shit half-ass players such as Carr and Green and Faggins (IIRC) are so sad about their pathetic state of personal being...that they figure they can try and redeem their suckitude by bashing on the Texans.

I'm not saying Rick Smith is great. I barely think I can muster up the word "good" to describe him. But you know what? None of those guys in the Texans front office come out and go onto a radio show and just blast away at former players.

I think stuff like this is petty and sad.

They made money doing what they did. I bet when they cashed their checks they weren't bad-mouthing him or other FO personnel.

How many former Patriots players or Steelers players you see just hammerin' away at Pats or Steelers FO personnel? They don't, unless they are like the top tier superstar player (Faneca, for example) that didn't get a big contract and had to leave to another team to get it. Otherwise, I never see lower tier, half-ass broke-down players of Faggins and Green's caliber leaving a winning team and bashing them on radio shows.

The reason ex-players of winning franchises don't do this is because any normal person would immediately think the ex-player was just butt-hurt and has misplaced his anger with the former team. On the flip side, by doing these shenanigans to a losing franchise, fans will fall for it and sympathize with the disgruntled ex-player ("Well damn! So THAT explains why we suck so bad!"). I see lots of people falling for the trick. The suckitude on the Texans is a combined effort, and those pantie-waisted ex-players like Carr and Green played their special role in it, so they should just STFU and move along and enjoy the money they stole. IMO.

It's easy to pile onto a losing franchise and accuse THEM of being the reason you didn't make the Pro Bowl every year. All things considered, a pissin' and moanin' ex-player like Carr and Green just gall me when they do this.

No front office personnel deserves to be derided like these former Texans players are doing. It just reveals their true character, IMO. And I guess I can say if there's anything "good" about McNair/Smith/Kubiak it's that they seem to hold their tongue and do their best to speak well of players and ex-players.

Just my .02
Old 06-17-2011   #60
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That made me laugh Stan. Quick wit, I like it.
I repped him too, I think his rep bar doubled from that post, lol.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read