Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lewis Sanders

tacoman_j

Waterboy
is he capable of playing safety next year. Unless we unload Glenn and fat contract, we have a glut of cornerbacks on the team. Good job by Casserly of looking out for future. I hiope cocky Buchanon doesn't holdout in search of new contract

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
I believe Sanders is capable of playing FS, but I don't know if he's played there before...He has the size for it though (6'1", 210)...

Grid

All Pro
having a glut of CBs isnt necessarily a bad thing.

we now have 4 quality CBs in Robinson, Glenn, Buchanan, and Faggins. and you NEED 4 good CBs in our division.

Besides.. what we consider "a glut" at a position.. most teams would consider "good depth". We have played with the bare bones of depth for so long that we hardly know depth when we see it anymore.

cadahnic

Rookie
Sanders can play FS decently, but SS he is terrible I mean worst than that white guy we had back there our first year. Sanders will provide some nice depth since Jamal Lord is terrible and should be cut.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
cadahnic said:
Sanders will provide some nice depth since Jamal Lord is terrible and should be cut.
And you know this from watching him play when? Simply amazing how people form vehement opinions based upon absolutely nothing.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
The only play I remember Lord making was an INT against the Cowboys last season that sealed our shutout, so he's fine in my book...I think he has good potential and I'll be watching him closely this preseason to see how he looks...

how can anyone in their right mind say lord should be cut, LOL dont you think we should see how he plays in games other than pre season before we cut him ??? Plus didnt he have a decent pre season for us ?

o and another thing wat bout jason simmons, that guy can hit and he plays with heart out on the feild, he even got an INT against the...Browns? i think, hes someone im lookin forward to seeing in the preseason IMO

cadahnic

Rookie
Lord played QB in college and we converted him to safety, because the kid could not catch so he could not move to receiver. Well more that he converted himself during the combine last year. He is a really long term project and if you would have watched the game tape you would have seen that he is not fluid, not smart, and overmatched at safety. TopTexanFAn brought up a great point Simmons although not ideal height has tremendous heart and brings the wood every play but this going to be his ninth year in the league and he has never been anything other than decent depth.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
cadahnic said:
He is a really long term project and if you would have watched the game tape you would have seen that he is not fluid, not smart, and overmatched at safety.
What friggin game tape?--Lord was on the practice squad for all but 4 games last year and only touched the field in 1 regular season game. But nonetheless, that is sufficient exposure to judge the potential of a long term project in his 1st year after changing positions and sides of the ball?--great couch gm'ing.

Davis37

Rookie
All i gotta say is that NOBODY is gonna take Coleman's place at FS for the Texans... In his first year at the position he was phenominal! Does anyone remember how he singlehandedly won the Chiefs game for us? That was sweet! :thumbup

Vinny

shiny happy fan
cadahnic said:
Lord played QB in college and we converted him to safety, because the kid could not catch so he could not move to receiver. Well more that he converted himself during the combine last year. He is a really long term project and if you would have watched the game tape you would have seen that he is not fluid, not smart, and overmatched at safety. TopTexanFAn brought up a great point Simmons although not ideal height has tremendous heart and brings the wood every play but this going to be his ninth year in the league and he has never been anything other than decent depth.
I think you are in left field on this one. Casserly said that Lord went through the DB position drills like no other conversion player since Nolan Cromwell at the combine. There is no real game tape on him other than a few plays in a preseason game.

i think the only reason we signed lewis anyways was for some depth i mena we dont have much a FS or SS. that being said u never know he might show up in training camp along with lord and blow everyone outa the game though it is very unlikley.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
We've got good depth at the safety positions. We've got our projected starters in Coleman and Earl. As mentioned earlier Simmons can play either CB/FS/SS, and Sanders will likely fill a similar role as CB/FS/SS. We've also got Ramon Walker at SS who you might better remember for his play in the New England game. Then of course we've got Jamaal Lord. Our depth at safety looks pretty good to me.

yea im syain good depth....now i know walker can play but theres somehtin the coaches see that i dont and i dont know bout lord never seen him really play. but sanders has been a starter and contributed so thats wat im saying hes there for "good depth" is thats the only way i can put but im not bashing anyone else and simmons ur right can play FS or SS

texasguy346

Mod Squad
Walker was injured last year with an ACL, and that's why you haven't seen him much. Lord was on the practice squad for much of the season since he's making quite a transition from QB to FS. We've got three talented young S, a veteran player at FS who's very good in Coleman, and two vets who are CBs that can play S if need be. I'm not sure how much more depth at the position you can get. Thats 6 players who all can play the safety postion competing for 4 or 5 spots.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
texasguy346 said:
We've got good depth at the safety positions. We've got our projected starters in Coleman and Earl. As mentioned earlier Simmons can play either CB/FS/SS, and Sanders will likely fill a similar role as CB/FS/SS. We've also got Ramon Walker at SS who you might better remember for his play in the New England game. Then of course we've got Jamaal Lord. Our depth at safety looks pretty good to me.
I also think we have good safety depth if Walker can regain his level of play prior to the injury...Didn't he block a punt and a field goal in that New England game? I remember he was amazing against them...

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
TopTexanFan16 said:
who are the 3 talented young Safties....walker and earl who else just askin cause im not sure whos at saftey.
Jammal Lord, Walker, and Earl are our 3 talented young safeties...I liked Lord last preseason and he should be much improved after having a season of practice at FS under his belt...

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
D-ReK said:
Didn't he block a punt and a field goal in that New England game? I remember he was amazing against them...
Yes, he blocked both a punt and a field goal in that game and made 4 of 9 special teams tackles that day. Then shattered his leg the next week.

wow thats right it was the same guy...weird he was really amazing to bad he got hurt hopefully we'll see more f him. yea i remember that game i was siting at the goal post and most the crowd was gone and i just closed my eyes....talk bout andrenaline rush haha. yah and speakin of him wat happened to shantee orr

texasguy346

Mod Squad
TopTexanFan16 said:
alright, cool thanks and the two vets we have r who? simmons and uh well i have no idea
The two veterans are Lewis Sanders and Simmons. Simmons has played both FS and SS for us at times, and has been great on special teams. Sanders is a CB who also can play S if need be. So we have pretty good depth at S.