Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011   #1
czarleon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0 czarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden cover
Default Draft Question

If there is no football season at all next year what happens with the 2012 draft?
czarleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #2
gary
Hall of Fame
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wheelchair
Age: 22
Posts: 21,100
Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarleon View Post
If there is no football season at all next year what happens with the 2012 draft?
There would not be one I don't believe but I don't know what would happen to the college players then. It looks like there will be a season anyway.
__________________
Without the strength to endure the crisis, one will not see the opportunity within. It is within the process of endurance that opportunity reveals itself.
Chin-Ning Chu -
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor
 
ChampionTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,042
Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarleon View Post
If there is no football season at all next year what happens with the 2012 draft?
If anybody knows, they haven't said!
__________________
Being a D-bag and being factually correct are not in any way mutually exclusive!
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #4
czarleon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0 czarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
There would not be one I don't believe but I don't know what would happen to the college players then. It looks like there will be a season anyway.
It's looking like you may be right about the season being saved. This has just been bugging me for some time now and I wasn't sure if a backup plan existed for the draft or not. I was going to ask on the ESPN message boards but anytime you ask a question there it tends to get nothing bus sarcasm and profanity as a response.
czarleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wheelchair
Age: 22
Posts: 21,100
Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarleon View Post
It's looking like you may be right about the season being saved. This has just been bugging me for some time now and I wasn't sure if a backup plan existed for the draft or not. I was going to ask on the ESPN message boards but anytime you ask a question there it tends to get nothing bus sarcasm and profanity as a response.
Bummer man. But yea I'm betting there would not be one until a new CBA signing and if it is too late by then to have one then I am guessing some sort of signing/workout period would take place or something like that. I'm just guessing here though.
__________________
Without the strength to endure the crisis, one will not see the opportunity within. It is within the process of endurance that opportunity reveals itself.
Chin-Ning Chu -
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!
 
Dutchrudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Section: Fort Kickass
Age: 30
Posts: 15,063
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarleon View Post
It's looking like you may be right about the season being saved. This has just been bugging me for some time now and I wasn't sure if a backup plan existed for the draft or not. I was going to ask on the ESPN message boards but anytime you ask a question there it tends to get nothing bus sarcasm and profanity as a response.
If this CBA isn't resolved by next April, then I really don't think it will matter all that much. The NFL will be irreparably harmed and it will never be the same again. Having another draft with no games scheduled would just pile on a terrible mess of a situation at that point. There would be little hope or hype surrounding a 2012 draft.
__________________
Life is too important to be taken seriously. -Oscar Wilde
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,797
Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Question

If the entire 2011 season is lost, the 2012 draft won't occur. The 2011 draft was the last NFL event in the collective bargaining agreement. There can't be a full-scale draft on the NFL calendar without a collective bargaining agreement. If the courts allow the lockout to stay in place and there is no collective bargaining agreement in time to play the 2011 season, there would be no draft order and no draft in 2012. If a new collective bargaining agreement doesn't include a draft, college players eligible for the NFL would be free to negotiate with any team. The teams with the most revenue, the most cash, would have a huge advantage if that were to happen. In that scenario, the pursuit of someone like Luck would be unbelievable and could involve nearly every team in the NFL.

The draft process is part of the CBA. If the 2011 season does not happen, the 2012 draft would have to be bargained for and provisioned in the CBA. If it is not, then all players declaring that year would effectively be undrafted free agents, free to negotiate with any and every team.

When they finally did hammer out a new CBA they would have to put in what to do with the 2011 draftees..................If they are not signed, they technically are not property of the 2011 team that chose them (since the signing deadline would have assuredly run out)..............so will there have to be a RE-draft which includes the 2010 draftees? These would indeed be interesting times.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2011   #8
czarleon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 0 czarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden coverczarleon could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If the entire 2011 season is lost, the 2012 draft won't occur. The 2011 draft was the last NFL event in the collective bargaining agreement. There can't be a full-scale draft on the NFL calendar without a collective bargaining agreement. If the courts allow the lockout to stay in place and there is no collective bargaining agreement in time to play the 2011 season, there would be no draft order and no draft in 2012. If a new collective bargaining agreement doesn't include a draft, college players eligible for the NFL would be free to negotiate with any team. The teams with the most revenue, the most cash, would have a huge advantage if that were to happen. In that scenario, the pursuit of someone like Luck would be unbelievable and could involve nearly every team in the NFL.

The draft process is part of the CBA. If the 2011 season does not happen, the 2012 draft would have to be bargained for and provisioned in the CBA. If it is not, then all players declaring that year would effectively be undrafted free agents, free to negotiate with any and every team.

When they finally did hammer out a new CBA they would have to put in what to do with the 2011 draftees..................If they are not signed, they technically are not property of the 2011 team that chose them (since the signing deadline would have assuredly run out)..............so will there have to be a RE-draft which includes the 2010 draftees? These would indeed be interesting times.
Thank you. I have been searching for days trying to find the answer to my worst case scenario hypothetical situation
czarleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger