Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2005   #161
pskinny
Veteran

I love it. Who cares what Raider, Charger, Colt, and Titan fan have to say. In CC we trust.....The guy is 24 and now has Hoke and Aaron to tutor him. Plus he's more valuable than any 2nd or 3rd round players we've selected to date anyway.

Could Mike Williams fall to 13? Unlikely, but oh man would we be set in 2005!
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #162
Holden135
Veteran

DocBar you don't make any sense but oh well. I think what this trade shows is that the texans are trying to win now. They don't want to draft a db and wait a few years to mold him into an nfl db. The trades they are making are to add speed and experienced youth (same with Greenwood). I would like to see how this shuffles the secondary. Is there a possibility someone may move to ss? I am also curious what this does to our first round draft pick. Its obvious it counts out us drafting a db and with the addition of Greenwood i don't think the Texans will go lb unless they were to find a way to get DJ. It seems to me like they are going to go offense since our dline is pretty much set for next year and i don't see why we would pay first round money for someone who is gonna sit a year while we are trying to make the playoffs. That pretty much leaves it to Oline, wr and rb. I hear a lot about us drafting Barron which would be a good long run pick but we are trying to win now and olinemen dont usually produce much in their rookie years. That leaves rb and wr. I am totally against us picking up a rb like Benson because i think Davis has a lot of unmet potential and he has been pretty solid the last two years other than the little time he missed due to injury plus he was huge down the stretch last year and i would like to see if he can continue that before wasting a first rounder and run into the problem the chargers have with a top qb draft pick on the bench because their qb surprised them and had a great year. So i am gonna go on a limb and say we will pick a wr like troy williamson.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #163
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

drew henson is a cowboy
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #164
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j
We only gave up a second and a 6th round pick. 6th round pick come from the Drew Henson trade which became 78th pick this year. 2nd rounder for burner to match stokley is good deal. Better than taking Justin Miller or Fabian Washington. too many ??? about those guys in the 2nd round.
We got #73 from Dallas for Henson not #78...
Old 04-19-2005   #165
Sco-tai
Veteran

Certainly I'm not the only one to think of this.

Who are the 2 FRANCHISE players of the Texans (both $$ and potential)?
Carr & AJ, right.

Who do you think AJ lined up against at Miami (with only 1 year separating the two)?!?!? P-non!

So if your #1 WR tells you "Get this guy"...what are you going to do?

Besides, he's a project for low money the next two seasons. If he doens't work out...you can go to plan B next year (and still have Glenn & Faggins this year).
And as our draft history, our 2nd & 3rd rounders are basically "dumb-luck".

I wouldn't grade this trade an automatic "good call", but I see why it could make complete sense.
Sco-tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #166
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

P-Buch will definitely add some swagger to our defense.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #167
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Why did we trade to get a smolderer to take on a burner??? This guy can't cover his *** with a comforter.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2005   #168
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO we will draft T williamson, D ware, M clayton, or just trade down to get more picks
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #169
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

wow.. werent we the same team that let whats his name go to San Diego? Steve Martin or whatever.. one of the top LBs in the league now?

Have we not learned that certain players prosper better in certain systems?

Do you also not see the benefit of having a kick returner like Buchanon who has starter experience.. and can play nickle for us behind Glenn and Robinson while we teach him to use his OBVIOUS talents with the help of our AWESOME CB coach, and big brother Glenn?

Geez guys.. this is an AVERAGE draft. I know we have all been high on who we could pick in rounds 2 and 3.. but lets face it.. the guys available in those rounds were "eh".. no sure things there. This wasnt a deep draft. And we still have our 1st and a 3rd rounder to work with :P.

THINK ABOUT IT!!! 2 mid round draft picks in a weak draft for a YOUNG and PROMISING CB who can be an awesome return guy for us, and provides us with an atheletic enough prospect to possibly replace glenn in a season or two.

And we are in the AFC FREAKIN SOUTH! The most pass happy division in the AFC :P. We had an awesome secondary last season and it just got better.. and we are lucky cause we are gonna need someone with Buchanans experience and abilities to cover those TEs and 3rd WRs in our division.

This was a good move in my opinion. The only thing that I have any questions about is his attitude.. hopefully we can work out any kinks he may have.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #170
Shader
Rookie

A note to all you Texan fans. You gave up a 2nd and 3rd rounder. You can spin it all you want, you can try to justify it as much as possible, but you just got totally swindled. Shaun Alexander & Edgerrin are going for 2nd rounders. No one wants to take Travis Henry for a 2nd rounder. Surtain is going to go for a 4th or 5th and he's ten times the cb Buchanan ever will be.

I realize that it's easier for Casserly to give up draft picks because he's so bad at drafting good talent, but once you get yourself a real gm, you'll figure this out for yourselves.

Back to the cellar this year Texans...
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #171
Texansbacker
Veteran

Casserly, Capers and McNair all saw Buchannon up close when the Texans played the Raiders. Buchannon seemed pumped up to be matched up against a fellow alumn and highly touted WR Andre Johnson. He played a good game, laid a nice lick on J. Wells and he looked athletic and confident. Perhaps Cass asked AJ how good a coverman Buchannon was in his opinion. Giving up a second and third round draft pick will end up being a steal as Buchannon finally realizes his full potential through the troioka of veteran mentoring by A. Glenn, competitive fire from D. Robinson, and last but not least a superior coaching effort by J. Hoke. By essentially only giving up a second we secure a vital position with first round talent. Brilliant strategy and I think we will take our pick at 13 and thus lessening the propensity to pick a bust by trading down and hope for a gem in the third and fourth.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #172
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shader
A note to all you Texan fans. You gave up a 2nd and 3rd rounder. You can spin it all you want, you can try to justify it as much as possible, but you just got totally swindled. Shaun Alexander & Edgerrin are going for 2nd rounders. No one wants to take Travis Henry for a 2nd rounder. Surtain is going to go for a 4th or 5th and he's ten times the cb Buchanan ever will be.

I realize that it's easier for Casserly to give up draft picks because he's so bad at drafting good talent, but once you get yourself a real gm, you'll figure this out for yourselves.

Back to the cellar this year Texans...
Correction Shaun Alexander and Edge are not going to any1.... Yes the asking price is about a 2nd rounder but why is it so low? Mammoth Contracts. Why do u think these teams are not jumping all over a low asking price? Huge Contracts.. PB can be an effective in nickle d while learning our system and then eventually make the move to 2nd starter, while being paid 700k and 800k the next to season; which takes absolutley no cap hit so we can make moves next season as well, unlike a team that would get one of those RB's
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #173
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well in all fairness...look at ya'lls front seven...they were horrible...ya'll were running a 3-4 defense without any 3-4 linebackers and sapp isn't a 3-4 lineman...brees had all day to throw the ball and i dont' care how good a corner is...if he has to cover a reciever for more than 4 seconds he's gonna get burned because the reciever always has the upper hand
Agreed. And would you tell the Randy Straks guy, Sapp is in the same boat now. A three DT ain't going to work in the 3-4. I'm sorry but that's just they way it is. Why anyone would put sapp in a 3-4 is beyound me...stupid.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #174
Htown34s
Veteran

So he backs up Glenn this year and takes over next year if we can get him to put his head on straight. I for one thought Glenn really lost a step last year. Maybe we're not completely comfortable with Glenn as the starter for all year now.

I really hope we trade down now and possibly get a Justin Tuck OLB type and Chris Spencer to replace McKinney. Yes, I'm still on that wagon with us giving up our 2nd rounder...
Old 04-19-2005   #175
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shader
That's all speculation on your part till any of that REALLY happens you're just blowing smoke out of you ***!
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #176
Sco-tai
Veteran

Shader....*****.

"because he's so bad at drafting good talent".

Carr - 1st
JG - 2nd
JW - 4th
AJ - 1st
DD - 4th
DF - 6th
DR - 1st
JB - 1st
CP - 3rd
MB - Supplemental
TH - Supplemental

...and should I even mention the Henson-theft to turn a 3rd baseman into a 3rd round pick.

Not to mention the FA's on our starting line-up.

Shader...go back to Dallas, Cow-girl.
Sco-tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #177
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
wow.. werent we the same team that let whats his name go to San Diego? Steve Martin or whatever.. one of the top LBs in the league now?

Have we not learned that certain players prosper better in certain systems?

Do you also not see the benefit of having a kick returner like Buchanon who has starter experience.. and can play nickle for us behind Glenn and Robinson while we teach him to use his OBVIOUS talents with the help of our AWESOME CB coach, and big brother Glenn?

And we are in the AFC FREAKIN SOUTH! The most pass happy division in the AFC :P. We had an awesome secondary last season and it just got better.. and we are lucky cause we are gonna need someone with Buchanans experience and abilities to cover those TEs and 3rd WRs in our division.

The only thing that I have any questions about is his attitude.. hopefully we can work out any kinks he may have.
All very good points and now it free's us up to get another playmaker on offense at #13
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #178
Shader
Rookie

Unfortunately guys, until you learn to draft..(which you haven't yet) you will continue to be below average. 29 of the 32 NFL teams realize the value of draft picks. Apparently the Skins, Texans, and Dolphins haven't gotten the memo. Well, strike that, Saban gets it...I guess it's Snyder and Casserly...
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #179
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
Shader....*****.

"because he's so bad at drafting good talent".

Carr - 1st
JG - 2nd
JW - 4th
AJ - 1st
DD - 4th
DF - 6th
CP - 3rd
...and should I even mention the Henson-theft to turn a 3rd baseman into a 3rd round pick.

Not to mention the FA's on our starting line-up.

Shader...go back to Dallas, Cow-girl.
forgot Dunta?
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #180
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I know with PB returning punts we are gonna take one to the house!!! Do we have arguably the most dangerous cornerbacks in the NFL now or what? YES!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read