Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-19-2005   #101
Shader
Rookie

Guys this was a horrible move for the Texans. They could have drafted any number of cornerbacks in the 2nd round that could turn out just as well or better than Buchanon. Now you get a head case that can't cover anyone, and you lost a 3rd rounder as well. Although you proved last year how little you value draft picks when you got ripped off by the Titans for Jason Babin, an average linebacker/defensive end/whatever.....one thing he's not is worth 3 draft picks...

Randy Starks will make you regret that trade for a long, long time.

Last edited by Shader; 04-19-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #102
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

My two cents:

BAD MOVE! A young team losing a second AND a third for someone who isn't of the best character, and has a large ego, is not a good thing. Now you have one impact draft pick this year, and this is a draft filled with unsure players.

As a colts fan, I should be happy you did this, but I want to see you guys continuously improve, and IMO, this is the wrong way to do that.
Old 04-19-2005   #103
FatBoyTim
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
It's our second and the lower of our two 3rd rounders.

Even a 2 and a 3 is ok in my book. We still have our #1 and #73 - that's two picks on Day 1. Normally you have three but we had four thanks to the Henson deal which in part, makes this possible. Consider Buchanon a Day 1 pick and now we don't have to worry about CB on Day 1. Raider fans in here arguing about it tells me everything is ok with this.

Capers and Casserly aren't dumb about locker room chemistry. It wouldn't surprise me if they talked to Glenn ahead of time about this.
to say this is DENIAL. Casserly was robbed once again.
FatBoyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #104
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I bet it's a second and one of the thirds. One good thing is he comes cheap.

PB
Very nice call A.J. I'm a happy camper. Looks sweet to me. Did Glenn Earl get hurt or something I've missed. I keep seeing people on the boards sticking SS into the mocks. He's ok right ?
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #105
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Although you proved last year how little you value draft picks when you got ripped off by the Titans for Jason Babin, an average defensive end...
We will find out in another year or two if Babin is an average OLB.
Old 04-19-2005   #106
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyTim
Glenn is a June 1 cut for sure now...
As much as I hate to admit it FBT may be right. Glenns days may be numbered. What does he count against the cap this year if he stays/goes after June 1???
Old 04-19-2005   #107
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
We will find out in another year or two if Babin is an average OLB.
Those guys are Titan fans 279. What do you expect them to say?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2005   #108
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
My two cents:

BAD MOVE! A young team losing a second AND a third for someone who isn't of the best character, and has a large ego, is not a good thing. Now you have one impact draft pick this year, and this is a draft filled with unsure players.

As a colts fan, I should be happy you did this, but I want to see you guys continuously improve, and IMO, this is the wrong way to do that.
I smell fear. I would too if I had to face Buchanan, Faggins, D-Rob and Glenn...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #109
FatBoyTim
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
Horrible move??? What are you taking about. In this league and in our division you must have 2 shutdown corners. This gives up DR on oneside and PB on the other this is great we can now go after a RB and or a WR and we are a real threat to make the playoffs. This year and next and the next. This is GREAT
so the PATS had two shut down CB holding the colts to 3? Your a maroon if you buy that. The front 7 is the key. And the texans just took a giant step back. First last yrs trade and now this. It is inexcusable to trade 2 picks for one for a guy who has been a bust.
FatBoyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #110
TigerBait
Veteran

Vandemeer just said the Redskins were considering the 9th overall pick and thier second round pick for Buchannon...this cant me true...
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #111
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those guys are Titan fans 279. What do you expect them to say?
Something like, "Hey you guys, did you hear we signed Kyle Vanden Bosch! Our season is saved!"
Old 04-19-2005   #112
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I've asked a few Raider fans on other boards their opinions of Buchanon, and the concensus is that he has the makings of an outstanding corner who suffered from not having a good pass rush...Also, one person went so far as to compare his kick return skills to those of Dante Hall, but suggested that he didn't do so well last year because he was unhappy in Oakland and that was his way of getting back at him...If we keep his attitude in check, we could have one of the best CB tandems in the NFL for the next 8 years...If we don't, he's gone in two, so no big deal...
Old 04-19-2005   #113
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Something like, "Hey you guys, did you hear we signed Kyle Vanden Bosch! Our season is saved!"
This is what their off-season fun amounts to. Bashing our moves since they don't have any.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #114
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It is inexcusable to trade 2 picks for one for a guy who has been a bust.
In 36 appearances with the Raiders, Buchanon totaled 122 tackles, 11 interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He returned four interceptions for touchdowns, at least one in every season of his brief career. He is also a dangerous punt returner, averaging 11.0 yards with three touchdowns on 72 runbacks. A bust?
Old 04-19-2005   #115
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

This all but assures the Texans will be trading down in the first to get one of those picks back. I like Baas late in round one plus maybe another early third or late second and I am a big fan of this trade. I think JJ Moses's days are numbered with Swinton and now Buccanon Texans.
Old 04-19-2005   #116
Negative Jesus
Rookie

Quote:
In 36 appearances with the Raiders, Buchanon totaled 122 tackles, 11 interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He returned four interceptions for touchdowns, at least one in every season of his brief career. He is also a dangerous punt returner, averaging 11.0 yards with three touchdowns on 72 runbacks. A bust?

My thoughts exactly . I think this will end up being a good trade on our part . Sometimes all a guy needs is a change of scenery to step up his game ....... the Astros know this all too well .

Superjoint Ritual
Negative Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #117
Vinnie333
Rookie

although i dont completely agree with this trade, there is one good thing that comes out of it....Buchanon is a pretty decent return man. We just signed Swinton, and now Buchanon, so J.J. is gonna have a lot of competition this pre-season. hopefully one of these guys will step it up and give us a threat for a TD return on special teams.
Vinnie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #118
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i for one love this trade...this gives us aaron glenn's replacement, a fast returner, and exciting player to watch...we gave up two picks for him...seeing how our history of 2nd and 3rd round picks are i'm not fretting about this trade...if he can mature with john hoke and capers along with glenn's guidance he can be a real impact for us...i know some of ya'll are worried about him being a cancer but look at it this way...we're paying him 700,000 this year and 800,000 next year...if we don't like him...we can get rid of him with little to no big cap hits
Old 04-19-2005   #119
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

Quote:
He also gave away maybe 30 to 40 TDs ?

Last edited by AndroidRaider24; 04-19-2005 at 11:11 PM.
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #120
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Well this was an exciting play, but it's going to empty out the excitement during the middle of Saturday.

Everyone here at home is excited. Mark was excited on FSN just a minute ago.

I have a feeling they aren't intending PB for returning punts. Especially if he's injury-prone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read