Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2005   #321
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson80
Phillip was the top corner in his draft and he played at the U of Miami there make Players there (Great football program)
I think Jammer was the top CB, but PB was second off the board.
Old 04-20-2005   #322
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I refer to UM (Miami) as "The Factory". They roll out top NFL players better than any other college these days. How many NFL busts do you see from there?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #323
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Good call my bad, I think PB has been better than Jammer
Old 04-20-2005   #324
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I refer to UM (Miami) as "The Factory". They roll out top NFL players better than any other college these days. How many NFL busts do you see from there?

Bust isn't in the vocab of the U of Miami..... Anyone who is anyone that wan't to go pro would love to go to that school.. They are a top flight organization..
Old 04-20-2005   #325
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jammer was the top CB actually taken, but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken. San Diego liked Jammer's size and took him.
Old 04-20-2005   #326
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Vernon Carey comes to mind as a UM bust, but he's only been in the league one year. Couldn't even crack the starting lineup for the Dolphins' terrible O-line during their mail-it-in 2004 season. (Hmmm....he hasn't proved his worth as a starter on the O-line, so maybe in '05 they'll label him a "project" and plop him into a permanent starting role early. Wait, that was another team I was thinking about. )

Anyway, you're right about UM. They are without a doubt one of the best developmental programs for pro football. There are not many busts out there from their high-round draftees. I just hope that PB will grow into the kind of UM guy that Andre Johnson is already. Bring the attitude on the field, but don't be a knucklehead off the field.

I'm uneasy about PB's attitude, but overall I think this was an interesting move with a lot of potential.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #327
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Jammer was the top CB actually taken, but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken. San Diego liked Jammer's size and took him.
Jammer hasn't been anything special for a 5th overal pick.. SD just has back luck with corners Quintin Jammer, Sammy Davis and the trade for Jamar Fletcher none of three are anything special.. They need to address that with one of there early picks this year they need a shut down croner they allow to many passing yards and it hurts them big time.. There corners never produce that many INTS either..
Old 04-20-2005   #328
arm03c
Rookie

Hey guys. Came here last night to see what was up and decided I had to chime in. I'm a fan of this trade because of all of the athletic ability that Buchanon brings to the table... And trust me, as a lifetime Florida State Seminole and current student (and certainly the ONLY Texans fan from the beginning anywhere on this campus), I know that PB is absolutely legit when he wants to. No one's mentioned this yet, but doesn't it kinda seem like this is the end for Aaron Glenn and not the beginning of PB as a 3rd DB? Seems like I remember hearing talk about cutting Glenn right around the time we cut Sharper, and a June 1 cut really wouldn't surprise me. Wondering if someone here knows something that I don't about Glenn's status.

Here's to Marcus Spears at #13.
arm03c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #329
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken.
That's weird because Jammer was taken 5th overall. If Buchanan was rated that high you would think he would have gone closer to the top ten or someone would have traded up for him.
Old 04-20-2005   #330
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Vernon Carey comes to mind as a UM bust, but he's only been in the league one year. Couldn't even crack the starting lineup for the Dolphins' terrible O-line during their mail-it-in 2004 season. (Hmmm....he hasn't proved his worth as a starter on the O-line, so maybe in '05 they'll label him a "project" and plop him into a permanent starting role early. Wait, that was another team I was thinking about. )

Anyway, you're right about UM. They are without a doubt one of the best developmental programs for pro football. There are not many busts out there from their high-round draftees. I just hope that PB will grow into the kind of UM guy that Andre Johnson is already. Bring the attitude on the field, but don't be a knucklehead off the field.

I'm uneasy about PB's attitude, but overall I think this was an interesting move with a lot of potential.
PB is good, is Robinson had a good year last year look for PB to out perform him, Phillip is SHOWTIME and will provide may good highlights on ESPN Primetime through out the season.
Old 04-20-2005   #331
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They need to address that with one of there early picks this year they need a shut down croner they allow to many passing yards and it hurts them big time..
Their GM said in an interview that their pass rush was the problem.
Old 04-20-2005   #332
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
That's weird because Jammer was taken 5th overall. If Buchanan was rated that high you would think he would have gone closer to the top ten or someone would have traded up for him.
I think people where worried about his size, PB isn't that great as a tackler but he can cover very well and has the speed to recover when beat.. and a game breaker in the returning game
Old 04-20-2005   #333
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Their GM said in an interview that their pass rush was the problem.
I saw that also but! You have to admit Jammers nothing special, that was kind of a weak draft overal
Old 04-20-2005   #334
arm03c
Rookie

Think about some of the other UM guys to come out as your prototypical "thug" and turn into something big in the NFL. Not that I'm directly making this comparison, but Ray Ray was a pretty big thug coming out of college, as was Shockey. Won't even mention Ed Reed and all of his problems off of the field. But yes, looking at the recent talent to come out of the U... Heck, Vilma and Williams last year right there with Dunta for DROY. And for a Nole, I was screaming for Vince Wilfork last year... Now I'm screaming for Baron or Travis Johnson, but as a realist, Spears at 13 would be a great fit for us and a tremendous 3-4 end.
Old 04-20-2005   #335
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm03c
Hey guys. Came here last night to see what was up and decided I had to chime in. I'm a fan of this trade because of all of the athletic ability that Buchanon brings to the table... And trust me, as a lifetime Florida State Seminole and current student (and certainly the ONLY Texans fan from the beginning anywhere on this campus), I know that PB is absolutely legit when he wants to. No one's mentioned this yet, but doesn't it kinda seem like this is the end for Aaron Glenn and not the beginning of PB as a 3rd DB? Seems like I remember hearing talk about cutting Glenn right around the time we cut Sharper, and a June 1 cut really wouldn't surprise me. Wondering if someone here knows something that I don't about Glenn's status.

Here's to Marcus Spears at #13.
PB will be starting over Glenn, Glenn is pretty much in the same boat as Sharper
Old 04-20-2005   #336
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm03c
Think about some of the other UM guys to come out as your prototypical "thug" and turn into something big in the NFL. Not that I'm directly making this comparison, but Ray Ray was a pretty big thug coming out of college, as was Shockey. Won't even mention Ed Reed and all of his problems off of the field. But yes, looking at the recent talent to come out of the U... Heck, Vilma and Williams last year right there with Dunta for DROY. And for a Nole, I was screaming for Vince Wilfork last year... Now I'm screaming for Baron or Travis Johnson, but as a realist, Spears at 13 would be a great fit for us and a tremendous 3-4 end.

I swear somethings in the water down in Miami, they are un Real
Old 04-20-2005   #337
arm03c
Rookie

I'm just afraid that we're gonna let Glenn go come June 1. He's meant a lot to this organization since coming into the league and it'd be a shame to just cast him away, especially since I'm pretty sure we're in a decent cap situation for now, though when Johnson and Carr's contracts get bigger, that might change.

Also, are we pretty much casting off Davis after this year with all of this talk about Benson at 13?
Old 04-20-2005   #338
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see it, as JJ Moses has had some trouble parting the sea and making it to the opposite shore, We have given someone else a chance to take his spot. We also have a back up so we do not need to keep the loser. And the backup can back up Glenn when he gets winded after taking a ball to the house.
Old 04-20-2005   #339
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

buchanon is only 24 years old
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #340
arm03c
Rookie

Quote:
I swear somethings in the water down in Miami, they are un Real
Yeah, steroids, drugs, and hookers... lol... jk.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read