Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2005   #241
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
He was unhappy with this contract in Oakland, so why would he be happy with it in Houston? Does a holdout create leverage when you are worth two draft picks?
Buchanon wasn't unhappy with his contract, he just didn't like being a Raider--didn't get along with the old or new coaching staff, didn't like the way the team was headed with the 3-4, etc.
Old 04-20-2005   #242
TexansCanes
All Pro

Default more on returning

he averaged a little under 14 two years ago and had two td, twice as many as we have ever had. he has had 7 tds, so he adds a potential playmaker on defense, which could really help.
Old 04-20-2005   #243
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I was on another draft thread trying to validate our (past now) 2nd round draft selection as CB Domonique Foxworth and add links to pastes & this trade happens?

Guess Charlie could'nt stand to wait until Saturday

this really addresses a need with essentially a proven NFL 1st rounder out of the University of Miami, for a second & third pick in the 2005 draft. as much as I hate to trade away draft picks this deal could really be good for the Texans. this really shores up the defense and if Peek is ready for prime time and can suffice in the pass rushing department, the Texans may actually draft Alex Barron and try to actually protect David Carr.

very interesting indeed
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #244
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbrem
This guy averaged 5.8 yards in punt returns last year, and he only fumbled twice out of 21 touches! He's going to be awesome!

He also returned 2 kickoffs in his career, so he's got to be a threat there.
Try looking at the two years prior where he had 3 TD's on 51 returns and averaged 12.6 yards--comparable to the best in the league last year.

He obviously has good open field moves--of 11 INT's he has returned 4 for TD's including 2 over 80 yds.

But you are correct, he has not been a kick returner.
Old 04-20-2005   #245
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Buchanon wasn't unhappy with his contract, he just didn't like being a Raider--didn't get along with the old or new coaching staff, didn't like the way the team was headed with the 3-4, etc.
I guess I confused him with Woodson's "highest paid conerback" comment. I still think we will be lucky if he plays out the next two years under that contract.

Quote:
Woodson has said for months he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the league, a distinction currently held by Champ Bailey of Denver
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955338
Old 04-20-2005   #246
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did I mention his long return last year was 18 yards?
I guess you didn't read my post a few pages ago where I said that Buchanon was unhappy with the Raiders so he expressed that by not trying on punt returns...According to Raider fans, sometimes he would fair catch punts with nobody within 25 yards of him...If he stays happy here, he can be a big impact here...FWIW, this guy on Sporting News radio thinks that we got a steal, not that it means anything...
Old 04-20-2005   #247
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If someone could educate me..

When a trade like this happens.. does the traded player have to give consent? or is it all up to the teams doing the bartering?

Just wondering if he chose to come here or if we may have the same issues he had in Oakland.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2005   #248
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
If someone could educate me..

When a trade like this happens.. does the traded player have to give consent? or is it all up to the teams doing the bartering?

Just wondering if he chose to come here or if we may have the same issues he had in Oakland.
It is up to the teams. There is no reason to believe he will have issues with the coaching staff here.
Old 04-20-2005   #249
rdbrem
Rookie

Default A returner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I guess you didn't read my post a few pages ago where I said that Buchanon was unhappy with the Raiders so he expressed that by not trying on punt returns...According to Raider fans, sometimes he would fair catch punts with nobody within 25 yards of him...If he stays happy here, he can be a big impact here...FWIW, this guy on Sporting News radio thinks that we got a steal, not that it means anything...
But he fumbles two or three times every year. Has he always hated being a Raider that bad?
Old 04-20-2005   #250
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Got these from my fellow Raidersfan board:
Rebel:

Pros -
. LOTS of upside
. Big play maker [ but!!!... ]

Cons -
. Attitude problems
. Okay in coverage
. Dosent work on coverage skills because he thinks he is the greatest CB alive
. Will want the $$ soon
But bro it make look like alot of cons but you got a CB with alot of upside. I THINK HE JUST NEEDED A CHANGE.

ColoradoRaider:
PBuch is a talented corner. He has lots of speed and athletic ability. Despite what others may tell you, he is usually in good position on coverage but does not react to the ball well. His size also seems to harm him in that he cannot out jump receivers for balls. He will get quite a few picks because he gambles a lot and jumps a lot of routes, but he will give up some big plays too. Probably his best atributes are as a return man and when he does get an interception. He has scored a lot of touchdowns in the 2 1/2 years he was here for a defensive player. His attitude also seems to be a problem. He is cocky and brings a lot of attention to himself when he makes a play.

Overall, he is a very talented corner with good instincts but he needs to work harder and focus on the little things, particularly his technique.

GenMan:
Pros:

He is a playmaker in the sense that he will gamble and jump alot of routes looking for INTS. His coverage skills did improved this year to a degree. His coverage depends largerly on how much pressure your front seven is applying.

NEGS:

Doesn't provide any run support whatsoever, he is inconsistent in defending deep patters, he is capable of being turn around on simple out patters, hooks, stop or goes, fly patters and you can abuse him on screens. The guy is a horrible tackler in every aspect of the game. I remember him getting his *** ran over a couple times.

He doesn't play any press coverage or bump style of defense. Consistently he is 6-8 yards off the ball and doesn't want to be physical but rather relies on his speed too much.

For every great play he makes their are 10-12 head scratchers.

Conclusion:

You need to invest a STOUTFUL front seven to hide the glaring weakness of BUCHANON.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #251
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But he fumbles two or three times every year. Has he always hated being a Raider that bad?
Can you name any return man that doesn't have a fumble or two per year?
Old 04-20-2005   #252
rdbrem
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Can you name any return man that doesn't have a fumble or two per year?
2 fumbles on 20 returns is pretty steep, I think. At that rate, JJ would have fumbled about 9 times this year.

Also, didn't we just sign Swinton, who's also a return guy, with better stats?
Old 04-20-2005   #253
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt not consider any of Buchanan's stats from last year as a valid measure of his talent.

The only thing it shows is that he has a bad attitude.

We finally get to see if our team can handle a lockerroom cancer and turn him into a quality player.
Old 04-20-2005   #254
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
2 fumbles on 20 returns is pretty steep, I think. At that rate, JJ would have fumbled about 9 times this year.

Also, didn't we just sign Swinton, who's also a return guy, with better stats?
Swinton would probably return kickoffs and Buchanon would return punts...Either that or the team may feel that they've invested too much into him to have him risking injury by returning punts...The KR battle will be very interesting this preseason...
Old 04-20-2005   #255
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Ah Yeah. I think he hated it there that bad. The article from SF.com said Hoke knows him. He came into the league wanting to be the next Dejion Sanders. Worst Case scenario he's our nickle back this year and makes four to five TD oportunities for us next year. Worst case scenario, one of the starters goes down, PB comes in and with an improved pass rush, something he never had in Oakland, he doubles the TD oportunities. He has the speed
to turn every ball that reaches his hands a touch down. Fumbling is bad no doubt, but what would have 24 points from the d ment to the club last year ? Can I say consevatively, he's going to get at least four oportunities to take something to the house ? Call me optomistic, but I can live with the fumbles.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #256
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I threw an idea out a month or two ago, & was told, in no uncertain terms, that it would never happen. Now, while that may still be true, this trade does make it a little more of a possiblity.

I asked the question, "Could the Texans move Glenn to the FS position?". I'm sorry, but with this trade, I have to ask it again.

Remember all the resistive comments about moving Coleman to the FS position after he had just made 7 INT's? What did the Texans do? They drafted a rookie & moved Coleman to the FS position.

I know that the majority on this board believe PB will play the nickel, but if he's as talented as CC & Dom must believe him to be, & with the new emphasis on speed on the defensive side, putting PB in as a starting CB & sliding Glenn over to FS, would give us a serious increase in speed in our secondary. Besides, it's not like we'll be putting in a rookie. He's a 3 year veteran that was in a situation he wasn't happy with.

Both Coleman's & Glenn's contracts expire in 2007. Glenn's contract is considerably larger, but he's got a lot more speed than Coleman. There's only 2 years difference in their ages. Maybe, just maybe, the Texans are going to entertain trade possibilities for Coleman. His contract is reasonable, he successfully made the switch to FS after coming off a season in which he made 7 INT's as a CB. Thus, he's versatile & tradeable.

It's just a thought.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #257
Grid
Hall of Fame

I still dont think its likely. Glenn just is not built like a FS.. he would not prosper in that position.

besides.. I think he said he wouldnt play FS.
Old 04-20-2005   #258
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I still dont think its likely. Glenn just is not built like a FS.. he would not prosper in that position.

besides.. I think he said he wouldnt play FS.
So then, the question arises, would he want to play FS, keep his current contract, & get to continue playing in Houston, or would he rather move to another city & play for less, just to continue playing the CB position? Only he can make that decision.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #259
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Glenn is too small to be a good FS...I realize Jason Simmons is the same size, but he is built sturdier than Glenn...With that said, I think that anything is possible with this team, and I will leave the door open to that idea...I think we could have Glenn at FS and Coleman at SS and play it like the Patriots do, where they don't use a traditional "free safety" and "strong safety", they view them as "left safety" and "right safety", both of them being FS types that can hit...
Old 04-20-2005   #260
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3214 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Glenn just doesnt have the size to be a good FS... granted, Bob Sanders is only about 5'8, but Coleman is a much better fit as the FS than Aaron could be.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read