Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2005   #221
TexansCanes
All Pro

i will start by saying that i am a miami fan, so i might be a little biased. i really like phillip and think that he can turn it around, if he tries. he already has the punt returning sport from jj and will be an upgrade there. hopefully he is ready to grow up and return to his form from the U, where he was maybe the best cb in the country. he was the most talented person in that 2001 secondary. the one problem could be the same problem he had in oakland, that he won't be the man when it comes to cb. hopefully his teacher deion sanders will straighten up "showtime", and make him into the player that he should be. i don't mind his cocky attitude aslong as he is shuting down his side. i will hold judgment on the trade till atleast after the draft to see who was available at the picks and wait to see him on the field. we could have the best duo of young cb's in the nfl if the trade works out.
Old 04-20-2005   #222
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta plays the nick against the base 3wr packages due to his blitz skills and Glenn and Buchannon will take the outside wr's. With the new no-touch rules the 3WR set will be the predominant formation in the league I bet. Faggins will be the dime now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #223
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

here is a repost of what I just posted on another NFL board. Thought id post it here too.

Sorry im late ..was putting out fires on the Texans board.

ALRIGHT! This was a good trade for us.. one mans trash is another mans treasure.

some facts first:

1. He is fast, and he is an awesome return man. We have been stuck with JJ Moses as our return guy. I love JJ.. hes solid and hes a great kid.. but he is one dimensional and was taking up a roster spot.

2. he is FAST! We have been upgrading our speed on defense and this is a big step.

3. He will be a nickle corner for us for the next one or two seasons. I think he should really shine when all he has to cover is TEs and 3rd string WRs.. especially when...

4. He is going to be trained by John Hoke! our secondary coach is awesome.. he has turned our secondary into one of the biggest strengths for our team. on top of that..

5. Hoke was the guy that recruited him out of highschool when he was the DC in Florida. also..

6. He is still very young and has loads of athletic potential, and he will have the tutelage of Aaron Glenn.. who took Dunta Robinson under his wing last season.. and look how good he turned out.. also..

7. Scheme is everything. Just cause he struggled in Oakland (on a terrible defense with a terrible secondary and a terrible Dline consisting of 4-3 personel that they were trying to make into 3-4 personel).. doesnt mean that he is going to struggle in Houston in our system.

8. Did I mention he is YOUNG? 24 years old.. hes practically a rookie still.

9. This is a weak draft. The talent is only so-so in the 2nd and 3rd.. and we had 2 3rd rounders to work with. Logically.. we only gave up a 2nd rounder for him.. and he is a much better prospect than anyone we would have gotten in the 2nd.

10. He has the potential to replace glenn.. who only has one or two more seasons in him.

11. Robinson will be the starting CB.. when Buchanan IS ready to start.. it will be as the 2nd string CB.

12. Attitude COULD be a problem.. but his attitude was fed, watered, and cared for until it grew to its full potential in Oakland. We dont play that **** in Houston. There ARE no big egos on our team.. and if he tries to pull that **** here, hes gonna get smacked down. he will conform. Especially with the younger Dunta Robinson out there making him look bad if he doesnt play his position like he is supposed to.

BTW.. we gave our 2nd (47) and our second 3rd (78 i beleive)

It looks like a win-win situation to me. Oakland gets the picks they wanted to trade up in this draft.. and we got the CB we needed to provide depth, return capabilities, and replacement for Glenn.

All around good trade for both teams.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #224
GoBlue
Rookie

Buchanon was #17 overall pick in 2002. We traded a second and third round pick, (worth a first round pick at the bottom of the first round according to draft value charts). So even if you consider buchanon not quite worth a #17 pick overall he is a least worth a first rounder. More importantly he is a proven commodity, something which cannot be said for most draftees including many first rounders. I think CC may a good deal and Hoke & Co will show him how to play CB. I'm pumped
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #225
David_Carr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Do you really think he will play the next two years under that contract?
Do you think that he has even the least bit of leverage to restructure...
Old 04-20-2005   #226
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Wow, I get home from the Astros game and I see this.

My opinion, great move. With the addition of Phillip, we now have a stout secondary with Dunta, Aaron, and Marcus.

Now think about what we can do with our linebackers now. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #227
rdbrem
Rookie

Default Boring draft day?

I was really looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be over awful quick for me now... About what time should pick 13 happen?
rdbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2005   #228
TigerBait
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Wow, I get home from the Astros game and I see this.

My opinion, great move. With the addition of Phillip, we now have a stout secondary with Dunta, Aaron, and Marcus.

Now think about what we can do with our linebackers now. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.
go Stros', finally getting SOME run support.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #229
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbrem
I was really looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be over awful quick for me now... About what time should pick 13 happen?
thats a tough call, it depends on how many trades happen. i would say atleast 2 1/2 hours into the draft, but that is just a rough estimate.
Old 04-20-2005   #230
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Carr
Do you think that he has even the least bit of leverage to restructure...
He was unhappy with this contract in Oakland, so why would he be happy with it in Houston? Does a holdout create leverage when you are worth two draft picks?
Old 04-20-2005   #231
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

hopefully Hoke has a bit of leverage of his own with him. The restructure may bring his cap hit up a little.. but he is going to be a nickle CB for at LEAST one season.. and we arent gonna pay him starter money no matter how bad he wants it.
Old 04-20-2005   #232
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

thought i'd add #45 Glenn Earl to the mid round gems that CC, Dom, and company have unearthed. plus, he has my bday, so he is obviously the man.
Old 04-20-2005   #233
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Capers and Fangio liked to use a lot of 3-3-5 last year and I expect to see a lot more of that in this upcomming season. Our front 3, Walker, Payne and Smith doesnt look too bad. Wong, Greenwood and Babin seem solid too. Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Coleman and Earl is as solid a backfield as you'll find in the NFL.
I think this was a very solid trade. In the Texans history, they havent faired too well in the second round. They also picked up an additional 3rd rounder from the CowGirls for Henson; which is looking like a great trade now huh?
So now the only question is; what happens saturday? Now there's no way for them to more up, so it looks like DJ is out of the picture completley now. Alex Barron just doesnt seem like a good pick. I think Capers and Co. belive in our boys in the trenches and I think that now that they have played a few solid seasons together, they wont disapoint.
I'm thinking they go with WR. There are so many nice ones in this class. Troy Williamson is the most likley cannidate imo. If we're lucky maybe a guy like Mike Williams could fall to lucky 13.
If it's not WR, then i'm thinking they go with one of the top 3 RBs. Benson, Williams and Brown are all solid... it seems. And having a power game along with the finess of DD would be a nice little threat to have on offense.
Maybe Demarcus Ware??? But I think they like Peek this season... compition is never a bad thing though.
Who knows really???! but wondering about football is far better than watching any other sport.
HardKnockTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #234
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
thought i'd add #45 Glenn Earl to the mid round gems that CC, Dom, and company have unearthed. plus, he has my bday, so he is obviously the man.
Glenn Earl is #26, and you're lucky to share a birthday with a decent player...I have the same birthday as Maurice Clarett eek:
Old 04-20-2005   #235
cadahnic
All Pro

This is a good move by the Texans. They have the ability to sign him to a decent deal in a couple of years and he will be a nice replacement for Glenn next season. I am mad cause it looks like DJ is not going to be coming and neither is Carlos Rogers, but ohhh well. Buchanan can flat out play and he has tremendous hands, plus anything that puts JJ Moses on the bench is a good thing. He will be a solid player for us and possible trade bait later on.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #236
Grid
Hall of Fame

This actually cements my feelings that we will go OLB in the first. Our defense is looking better now with Buchanan.. the speed is starting to show.. adding a young OLB to help with the pass rush (that we will have an easier time creating now with Buchanan) seems like it would be a very solid move for us.

I cant wait to play the Colts . Go ahead.. bust out that 4 WR set.. Robinson, Glenn, Faggins, Buchanan, and Coleman.. good lawd!
Old 04-20-2005   #237
rdbrem
Rookie

Default Awesome returner

This guy averaged 5.8 yards in punt returns last year, and he only fumbled twice out of 21 touches! He's going to be awesome!

He also returned 2 kickoffs in his career, so he's got to be a threat there.
Old 04-20-2005   #238
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
YES screwed us for several years. That's what it will take for us to make up the lost draft picks.
Nice chicken little reaction. Nobody in the world would have been surprised if the Texans used a 1st day pick on a CB so the net loss of picks on this deal is one. Sure does take years to make up for one guy--you realize they give each team 7 per year?
Old 04-20-2005   #239
Shader
Rookie

Seriously you guys should have drafted carlos rogers at 13 and than had two additional pick.
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005   #240
rdbrem
Rookie

Default More on returning

Did I mention his long return last year was 18 yards?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read