Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #361
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnamdi and Houston

Anyone else see Tampa bowing out as a really good sign? Drives the price down at the very least. We may just be the last team standing.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #362
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Why San Francisco? haven't heard that rumor before.
Well they need a cornerback, they have Nate Clements but his salary is pretty huge and his play doesn't really merit the kind of money he will be making imo. Nmamdi gets to stay in the west coast in beautiful San Fran. The 49ers play in probably the weakest division in the league and they have a good shot at making a playoff run.
Old 07-26-2011   #363
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
You pair him with Revis and that is a sick tandem, the sickest in the league.
It would be the sickest combination in NFL history and there would never be a better combo than that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #364
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rex is of the "defense wins championships" mentality. Their defense was already one of the best in the league, you add Nnamdi and I don't think anyone puts over 10 points a game on them. I could be wrong, but where are you gonna throw? It would be hard to beat 2 shut down corners.
Who's gonna cover the TE's and RB's? WCO was built to defeat this kind of D setup. Put OD and Dreesen on the field in a single back set and they can't cover everyone AND defend the run.
IMO, your best bet on D is to take away 1/2 the field and roll help to the other 1/2 and disguise your coverage as best as possible to bait the QB into throwing to the latter 1/2. That gets into 76Texan's theory of safeties being more of a factor than a CB. An exceptional safety can read the QB's eyes and take appropriate action. Of course, I may be full of it, too.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #365
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Ha, just thought the same thing. Jets might not allow 10 points but where will they get 10 points from? : P
Their D may get their offense into fg kicking situations?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #366
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Only thing is, if you take away the first read, such as Reggie Wayne, that gives our DL & LB's just that extra little bit of time to get to Peyton, and that could be all she wrote. Besides that it gives you the chance to scheme up a plan to handle the other 5, or however many receivers he might have, especially Dallas Clark. I like it, and devoutly hope we sign Aso.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #367
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

According to MLive.com's Tom Kowalski, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha wants to play for the Jets.

Kowalski is a Lions reporter, but he's presumably done digging on Asomugha because Detroit has so often been connected to this year's premier free agent. That digging apparently led Kowalski to believe Asomugha wants to play in New York. There have been several other indications this is the case, so it isn't a crazy notion. If Asomugha is willing to take a discount to play in the destination he covets, the marriage could very well happen
http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/...29259138740224
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2011   #368
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Well they need a cornerback, they have Nate Clements but his salary is pretty huge and his play doesn't really merit the kind of money he will be making imo. Nmamdi gets to stay in the west coast in beautiful San Fran. The 49ers play in probably the weakest division in the league and they have a good shot at making a playoff run.
Interesting. Can they afford both Clements and Aso? Yes, SF is in a weak Division but for how long? St Louis is on the way up. If Arizona gets a QB and they look to get Kolb, they are they are the team to beat. Plus, Seattle won the division last time and Ol Pete has some tricks up his sleeve.

I could see the NFC West getting real tight in a year or two.

Old 07-26-2011   #369
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
According to MLive.com's Tom Kowalski, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha wants to play for the Jets.

Kowalski is a Lions reporter, but he's presumably done digging on Asomugha because Detroit has so often been connected to this year's premier free agent. That digging apparently led Kowalski to believe Asomugha wants to play in New York. There have been several other indications this is the case, so it isn't a crazy notion. If Asomugha is willing to take a discount to play in the destination he covets, the marriage could very well happen
http://twitter.com/#!/TomKowalski36/...29259138740224
Everyone seems to be repeating the same rumor. Question is how much of a discount is he willing to take? If its a couple of mill a year, maybe. If its like 5+ maybe not.

Old 07-26-2011   #370
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't care if we sign him or not. My biggest fear is that we miss the boat on other players because we invest too much time into chasing a pipe dream. I'd rather have a known quantity than nothing at all. There are still good players out there that can help us get going in the right direction. We could get a couple of good players for Aso's contract amount. At some point you have to fold and move on to the next hand.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #371
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't care if we sign him or not. My biggest fear is that we miss the boat on other players because we invest too much time into chasing a pipe dream. I'd rather have a known quantity than nothing at all. There are still good players out there that can help us get going in the right direction. We could get a couple of good players for Aso's contract amount. At some point you have to fold and move on to the next hand.
I think most of the second tier CBs are waiting on Aso to use his contract as a benchmark.
Old 07-26-2011   #372
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree 100%. Texans must have a point, IMO tomorrow, where they say this is the best we can do. Take it or leave it. then move on to J Joseph.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #373
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Interesting. Can they afford both Clements and Aso? Yes, SF is in a weak Division but for how long? St Louis is on the way up. If Arizona gets a QB and they look to get Kolb, they are they are the team to beat. Plus, Seattle won the division last time and Ol Pete has some tricks up his sleeve.

I could see the NFC West getting real tight in a year or two.
I think I read on espn.com last week that the 49ers may cut Clements or re-structure his contract. I'm not saying the 49ers are the favorites, but don't count them out. All those teams have potential but I think with the defense that the Niners have with Patrick Willis and Co., they should be a good enough team to make it to the playoffs.
Old 07-26-2011   #374
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe people still think that the Texans were ever going to lay down the scratch to get Aso. Bob doesn't have it in him and Rick Smith has no clue how to pull off a deal and sell a player like that.

I don't know if the the Jets will get him. I sure as hell hope not, because that would be the scariest secondary I've ever seen in any era of the NFL. One thing is for sure though is that Rex Ryan knows how to sell his franchise to players around the league. He has confidence and moxy and he's been able to build more of a winning culture there in just two seasons than what Smithiak has in five. If the Jets can pull the funds together to sign this guy (I don't see how it's possible), then the Texans would be an after thought even if we paid him more because the Texans don't have anyone in this organization that can sell a winning future other than AJ or Cushing and they are just players like a thousand others in the league.

I just hope that Aso doesn't end in NY and ends up somewhere in the NFC. Smith doesn't know how to sign players like these when they have multiple suitors.
Old 07-26-2011   #375
Allstar
Bona fide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I think I read on espn.com last week that the 49ers may cut Clements or re-structure his contract. I'm not saying the 49ers are the favorites, but don't count them out. All those teams have potential but I think with the defense that the Niners have with Patrick Willis and Co., they should be a good enough team to make it to the playoffs.
I think QB play dictates who wins that division.
Old 07-26-2011   #376
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How can you get a more known quantity than Aso? What other player, at a position of desperate need, comes close to Aso? You honestly don't care? Sounds like a case of premature sour grapes to me. Is premature sour grapes redundant?
Old 07-26-2011   #377
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I can't believe people still think that the Texans were ever going to lay down the scratch to get Aso. Bob doesn't have it in him and Rick Smith has no clue how to pull off a deal and sell a player like that.

I don't know if the the Jets will get him. I sure as hell hope not, because that would be the scariest secondary I've ever seen in any era of the NFL. One thing is for sure though is that Rex Ryan knows how to sell his franchise to players around the league. He has confidence and moxy and he's been able to build more of a winning culture there in just two seasons than what Smithiak has in five. If the Jets can pull the funds together to sign this guy (I don't see how it's possible), then the Texans would be an after thought even if we paid him more because the Texans don't have anyone in this organization that can sell a winning future other than AJ or Cushing and they are just players like a thousand others in the league.

I just hope that Aso doesn't end in NY and ends up somewhere in the NFC. Smith doesn't know how to sign players like these when they have multiple suitors.
Why are you typing in the past tense? Has Aso agreed to terms somewhere or eliminated the Texans from the running? You need a Happy Meal.
Old 07-26-2011   #378
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Why are you typing in the past tense? Has Aso agreed to terms somewhere or eliminated the Texans from the running? You need a Happy Meal.
We don't have a competent GM that knows how to pull off a deal on a marquee player of Aso's caliber that has several suitors. It's that simple.
Old 07-26-2011   #379
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
How can you get a more known quantity than Aso? What other player, at a position of desperate need, comes close to Aso? You honestly don't care? Sounds like a case of premature sour grapes to me. Is premature sour grapes redundant?
Do I think he can help us? Hell yeah I do. Do I think we're one CB away from the superbowl? Nope. I think there are too many positions of need on defense to invest it all in one player. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if we did sign him. I think that there are pros and cons to both scenarios.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #380
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We don't have a competent GM that knows how to pull off a deal on a marquee player of Aso's caliber that has several suitors. It's that simple.
Antonio was the #1 rated DE available in FA the year we got him.

To be fair can you name any other players of Aso's caliber that have even come on the market for FA since Smith has been GM?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read