Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #321
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnambi and Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Glad to know you know the players personally.

Besides, it's not "less" money.
It is the Jets we have all seen the personalities on that team. Now do i know for sure No, but my speculation is the same is speculating they will restructure.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #322
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Too bad they won't have the money to get it done. Already sitting at like 118 of a 120 mil cap with nobody of real significance in making money to cut...
As has been said a few times now: the cap is not a hard $120m. There are exceptions and benefits that can give a team up to $130m - $140m of room.-
Old 07-26-2011   #323
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
It is the Jets we have all seen the personalities on that team. Now do i know for sure No, but my speculation is the same is speculating they will restructure.
Mark Sanchez is on my television right now saying he would take a pay cut.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #324
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Mark Sanchez is on my television right now saying he would take a pay cut.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eep-receivers/
Quote:
Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez wants free agent receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith to stay in New York. And he’s willing to take a hit on his own contract if it helps contracts for Holmes, Edwards and Smith to get done.

“Whatever it takes, whether it’s adjusting contracts, delaying payment, whatever we have to do, our team will do it,” Sanchez said today, in comments distributed by the team. “I know that. We’ll be unselfish with it. We’ll get it figured out.”

Asked to clarify whether that meant he had considered making changes to his own contract to help the team’s salary cap situation, Sanchez answered, “Absolutely, and my agent’s already talked to me about it. Whatever we need to do to win, it’s on. I think our whole team feels that way. If it’s [Darrelle] Revis, me, whoever–it doesn’t matter. So, we’ll do whatever we can.”

Sanchez never actually said he’d be willing to take less money to keep his receivers, but he’s at least willing to re-structure his deal, if that helps. (We’re not sure if Revis is actually willing to do the same, or if Sanchez just thinks Revis would be willing to do the same.)

“It’s important,” Sanchez said of continuity at receiver. “It was such a luxury to have both [Edwards and Holmes] last year. It’s almost unrealistic to have that kind of a receiving corps again. But whichever guys we get back, it’s going to be them playing really well . . . whether we have Braylon and Santonio and Brad, or one of the three, two of the three–whatever it is.”
It seems like he is more worried about the receivers. After all, he will get a bigger contract when his is up if he is throwing to Holmes...

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #325
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Newark Star-Ledger confirms the Jets have "reached out" to free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.

This comes on the heels of an earlier report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Jets plan to "make a run at" Asomugha to pair him with Darrelle Revis. Multiple reports suggest Asomugha is willing to leave money on the table to sign with playoff contender, and Rex Ryan's squad fits the bill. Asomugha also has designs on an acting career, which may give the Jets yet another edge.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...nt_corner.html
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #326
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub said he would restructure according to quotes on HT.com but has not been approached yet.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #327
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think it's funny that our final Aso to Texans thread was titled "Nnambi and Houston"
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2011   #328
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Still think it's funny that our final Aso to Texans thread was titled "Nnambi and Houston"
Lol, I got the two n's right and missed the d... :/

Mike

Mods, can you please save me some embarrassment?

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #329
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
My bad dude, for a sec I thought you were talking about us, lol.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #330
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eep-receivers/

It seems like he is more worried about the receivers. After all, he will get a bigger contract when his is up if he is throwing to Holmes...

Mike
makes more sense.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #331
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15475 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just speculation at this point whether he'd take a paycut to play for the Jets. Because that's the only way I see them signing him unless they want to risk not having any marquee WRs and literally no passing game. Because I doubt Holmes is taking a paycut and we'll see about Edwards.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #332
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Lol, I got the two n's right and missed the d... :/

Mike

Mods, can you please save me some embarrassment?
He might read this thread and ask, why go to that team when their fans don't even know my name?
Old 07-26-2011   #333
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone is talking about how easy it is getting around the new salary cap. I couldn't find a source stating how the penalties work, except this one.

Quote:
The new collective bargaining agreement formulated in 2011 has a salary cap of $120 million and a salary floor of $108 million, representing 90% of the cap. The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap include fines of up to $5 million, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_...cap_in_the_NFL

If this is accurate, doesn't look so easy OR smart.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #334
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
He might read this thread and ask, why go to that team when their fans don't even know my name?
... and we were that close to getting him!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #335
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Everyone is talking about how easy it is getting around the new salary cap. I couldn't find a source stating how the penalties work, except this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_...cap_in_the_NFL

If this is accurate, doesn't look so easy OR smart.
Check out what Lance Z has been saying about the cap. As far as I know there's a 3 million dollar carry over from last year or something as well as a 3.5 million dollar exemption and some other benefits that can balloon the cap up. You can also do something with money from last year and apply it to the cap as well.
Old 07-26-2011   #336
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Check out what Lance Z has been saying about the cap. As far as I know there's a 3 million dollar carry over from last year or something as well as a 3.5 million dollar exemption and some other benefits that can balloon the cap up. You can also do something with money from last year and apply it to the cap as well.
I have, but there's no reference to what constitutes going "over the cap" and what the penalties are associated with it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #337
Allstar
Bona fide

Alright update time guys:

Jerome Solomon
Quote:
Text message from Texans player: "We get Nnamdi yet?" ... Hilarious ... Talk. Of. The. Town.

Now, here's some GOOD news: Straight from the mouth of Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik:

Quote:
I asked Mark Dominik about Nnamdi Asomugha specifically. His answer: "I would temper that. The way we’ve been building this football team, the way we’ve been doing this over the last couple yrs, I think there’s a blueprint that’s already sitting in front of you, and we’re going to follow that blueprint... That’s really going to be a key to what you see as time goes on"
in other words, "HELL NO"

quote from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat writer Stephen Holder.
http://twitter.com/#!/HolderStephen
Old 07-26-2011   #338
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnamdi and Houston

I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money and give up a low pick for busting the cap to get Aso. I'm of the opinion that he is this generation's version of Prime Time w/o all the BS. To compare signing him to Haynesworth or just about any other high profile FA bust is disingenuous. Aso has been nothing short of a model citizen in an organization known for showboats, malcontents and rebels without a clue. His down side is miniscule as it is. Compare it to his upside and it's a no-brainer. There is simply no other player in the NFL, short of Revis, that could impact our team as much as Aso. I'm including any QB's you want to throw in, also.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #339
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Alright update time guys:

Jerome Solomon

Now, here's some GOOD news: Straight from the mouth of Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik:

in other words, "HELL NO"

quote from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat writer Stephen Holder.
http://twitter.com/#!/HolderStephen
Did he have his poker face on?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #340
Allstar
Bona fide

Default Re: Nnamdi and Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money and give up a low pick for busting the cap to get Aso. I'm of the opinion that he is this generation's version of Prime Time w/o all the BS. To compare signing him to Haynesworth or just about any other high profile FA bust is disingenuous. Aso has been nothing short of a model citizen in an organization known for showboats, malcontents and rebels without a clue. His down side is miniscule as it is. Compare it to his upside and it's a no-brainer. There is simply no other player in the NFL, short of Revis, that could impact our team as much as Aso. I'm including any QB's you want to throw in, also.
I'd be willing to spend $5 mil of Bob's money as well

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read