Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2011   #1
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2011 Wade Phillips Defense

With all the fluff peices coming from Houstontexans.com and some of the posters on here who have reservations about key members of the defense fitting into wade's 3-4. I wanted to go back and watch wade's defense to see for myself where the truth lies.

Defensive Line- Main job is to stop the run. You'll have two players who can play the 5 technique or 3 technique on the field and one nose tackle

Antonio Smith- Needs to put weight on.. Last season he was in the 270-280 range and this year will need to be in the low 290's. I expect him to have a good year in wade's defense. His ability to penetrate will be key in the 3-4.

Earl Mitchell & Cody- After watching Ratliff of the cowboys I can see Mitchell being very effective in that role. Penetration from the NT just blows up plays. Cody I believe will be less effective penetrating and much better at holding his ground. Makes for a good complimentary team to man the Nose.

JJ Watts- Very excited about his potential in the 3-4. Will give the defensive line a unique ability to both play the run well and be a plus passrusher. His ability to batt down balls will be very nice for demeco Ryans and cushing. I expect him to be an upgraded Marcus Spears on the DL.

General Observations when watching Wades Defense
- DL could be a big upgrade, especially when compared to the cowboys. Cowboys only had one player on the DL that could generate any type of pass rush and that was the NT.
-Expect Watts, Smith and Earl to split time in the nickle packages.
-Watts will really upgrade the Defense, but not be a sexy player for fans.
-NT must get penetration and still have the ability to shed the double team.

In comparing the two defensive lines I believe texans defense will be slightly worse against the run but better against the pass. The next update will be the LB's lots of good stuff there.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 Wade Phillips Defense

If our corners can cover, all I expect from the line is stop the run and tie up the Dline. Any sacks or hurries are just gravy for de chicken. Linebackers will be the destroyers of QB production. Mario, Reed and Barwin will be the "sexy" players but the DEs, NTs will be in the grinder making it all happen. Here's hoping no one gets whiplash watching the pigskin rocket over their heads to wide open receivers.

I did hear that KJ took out "fall down" insurance along with a fire policy in case he gets burned.
Old 06-09-2011   #3
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If our corners can cover, all I expect from the line is stop the run and tie up the Dline. Any sacks or hurries are just gravy for de chicken. Linebackers will be the destroyers of QB production. Mario, Reed and Barwin will be the "sexy" players but the DEs, NTs will be in the grinder making it all happen. Here's hoping no one gets whiplash watching the pigskin rocket over their heads to wide open receivers.

I did hear that KJ took out "fall down" insurance along with a fire policy in case he gets burned.
While I agree with you on the Lines first priority is to stop the run. DE's being able to penetrate and rush the passer makes the defense nasty! Cowboys two defensive ends were underwhelming in that regard, but when you saw one of them or the NT flash that ability it was game over for the offense.
Old 06-09-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
With all the fluff peices coming from Houstontexans.com and some of the posters on here who have reservations about key members of the defense fitting into wade's 3-4. I wanted to go back and watch wade's defense to see for myself where the truth lies.

Defensive Line- Main job is to stop the run. You'll have two players who can play the 5 technique or 3 technique on the field and one nose tackle

Antonio Smith- Needs to put weight on.. Last season he was in the 270-280 range and this year will need to be in the low 290's. I expect him to have a good year in wade's defense. His ability to penetrate will be key in the 3-4.

Earl Mitchell & Cody- After watching Ratliff of the cowboys I can see Mitchell being very effective in that role. Penetration from the NT just blows up plays. Cody I believe will be less effective penetrating and much better at holding his ground. Makes for a good complimentary team to man the Nose.

JJ Watts- Very excited about his potential in the 3-4. Will give the defensive line a unique ability to both play the run well and be a plus passrusher. His ability to batt down balls will be very nice for demeco Ryans and cushing. I expect him to be an upgraded Marcus Spears on the DL.

General Observations when watching Wades Defense
- DL could be a big upgrade, especially when compared to the cowboys. Cowboys only had one player on the DL that could generate any type of pass rush and that was the NT.
-Expect Watts, Smith and Earl to split time in the nickle packages.
-Watts will really upgrade the Defense, but not be a sexy player for fans.
-NT must get penetration and still have the ability to shed the double team.

In comparing the two defensive lines I believe texans defense will be slightly worse against the run but better against the pass. The next update will be the LB's lots of good stuff there.
Wouldn't this be a tell to the offense, kind of like whether the O has its blocking TE in the game or it's receiving TE? If Mitchell is in, run the ball;if Cody is in we'll have time to pass? I understand your thinking but I would prefer two players with more similar styles of play. Just my
Old 06-09-2011   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Wouldn't this be a tell to the offense, kind of like whether the O has its blocking TE in the game or it's receiving TE? If Mitchell is in, run the ball;if Cody is in we'll have time to pass? I understand your thinking but I would prefer two players with more similar styles of play. Just my
Good thoughts DocBar,

I honestly don't think it will matter. For instance Mitchell is going to be the better penetrator and Cody will be better at anchoring. But on a run down say 2nd & 4. Both skill sets will work to stop the run, just two different ways of getting the job done. Penetration can be equally as effective as anchoring and taking on double teams. Your point on offense is correct, TE do signal what type of play it might be.
Old 06-09-2011   #6
wolf123
All Pro

After watching Film here is the OLB report.

Mario Williams- Must learn quickly to pass rush in the 2 point stance b/c he’s going to be doing it a lot. I know Wade has said that in nickel and 3rd downs Mario’s hand will be on the ground but when watching Demarcus Ware the majority of the time he will be in a 2 point stance. The majority of 3rd downs Ware would be standing up and I’m not sure if that’s his preference or what the coaches want. Mario will play both the strong and will outside LB positions. I’m not sure what triggers the switch but Ware moved around frequently. The one area I really worry with Mario is his lateral quickness to contain the edge. He has to set the edge or the RB is going for a big gain. Must be a disciplined player b/c if he gets caught peaking inside or flat footed I don’t see Mario having the ability to beat the RB to the sideline. Big Worry for me!

Coverage responsibility- This has been blown way out of proportion in my opinion. First, Mario will be dropping into coverage more then 3-5% and I’d put the number more like 10-12%. This is actually a good thing in my opinion because it makes the defense harder to scheme for. Secondly, his drops in coverage are the easiest drops imaginable… There will be two drops he has to learn well. The first being dropped strait back 5-10 yards and then basically curling. If the tight end is on his side he will jam him as he drops. The 2nd type of drop will be a 45 degree angle to the sideline. This drop will guard against slants, crossings and hooks. He’ll also be responsible for the back if it’s released to his side. All in all very simple drops that won’t be a problem at all and he won’t ever be man to man on anyone.

Connor Barwin & Brooks Reed- Both players should fit very well at the Strong side but I really think Barwin will excel!(Man crush) Just like Mario these players will play both sides. Will rush the passer a lot more than I thought they would. Needs to be able to play physical against the Tight End and has to have upgraded coverage skills. Example: if the tight end spreads out wide to his side he has to leave the line and play almost a safety role. Has to play some man to man skill and be able to do a lot more types of coverage drops.
Once again this player MUST contain the outside or it will be a big play. As DE’s in the 4-3 they had less edge responsibility because of the Sam and Will linebackers.

General OLB Notes-
-Expect 5 to rush most of the time.
- Wouldn’t be shock in some nickel situations to see Barwin, Mario, Antonio, Reed as the front four. Creates a devastating pass rush.
-Really need players to stay healthy here, expect to pick up a veteran OLB to help mentor

Will do inside LB next when I can watch more game tape.
Old 06-09-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I still do not want Mario in coverage. He just looks terrible.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read