Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2011   #1
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 first 4 games breakdown

This lockout has been hard on me, so I decided to go back and watch all the texans games of last season.

General Observations of the first 4 weeks.
-Connor Barwins injury was the biggest loss of the season- He brought so much extra pass rush in either the two point stance or with his hand in the dirt. DL was unblockable while he was in during the colts game. Expect big big things from him in 2011

-Mario Williams our favorite whipping boy played very well in the 1st four games. Set the edge well on run plays and was disruptive against the pass. 2011 outlook- I think he can be a great player in the OLB but I do worry about his ability to stop the run going laterally to his side. Not quick enough in my opinion to contain the RB to the sideline.

-Eugene Wilson my GOD has he been terrible. Its even worse then I remembered. Is late on almost every pass play where the CB releases the WR. Colts and Cowboys killed us by the WR settling into the zone and him not getting there on time. His tackling has also been terrible... 2011 outlook- Can't wait to replace him with anyone with a pulse

Bernard Pollard- Had a terrible start in coverage with peytan picking him apart in the redzone. His lack of coverage skills really put him in a bad light b/c of the rest of the secondary. 2011 outlook- I think we will really miss his attitude, tackling ability and his forced fumbles.

Okoye-Houston Texans biggest draft whipping boy of this regime. He's been a disappointment as the 10th pick but in the first four games he was very disruptive. Got good penetration but struggled to make the play. 2011 outlook- Maybe depth if he's not traded....

Antonio Smith- Most consistent DL... Very hard to block when moved inside. His quickness causes alot of problems with the interior OL. Having said how well he's playing his penalties make me was to jump through my tv. Boneheaded mistakes that almost cost us the game in Washington. 2011 outlook- Put me in the camp that believes he can really excel in Wades 3-4. He's one of those tweener players that isn't quick enough at DE in a 4-3 and too small to play end in a traditional 3-4 scheme. Wades penetrating scheme should really fit his skill set if we can get him to buy in.

Kareem Jackons- And I thought watching him live was tough... Living through that nightmare a 2nd time is brutal. He's an excellent tackler, put some really big hits on Jason witten. Agree with Wade phillips right now much better at zone then man. Really struggled trying to jam receivers at the line. He'd either miss or be completely ineffective.(see roy williams highlights) 2011 outlook- Needs to improve by leaps in bounds, his speed is a real question mark. Think he will be much improved by trusting himself and having a good cover safety behind him.

Offensive Observations

Matt Schaub- Its so much more fun watching him then ever having to sit through games by david carr, dave ragone or rosencopter! His arm strength is his biggest problem. To many time Andre or kevin walter has to stop and wait for the ball to get there. 2011 outlook- Continued improvement and better feel for the pocket

Adrian Foster-WOW!!! Offensive MVP for first 4 games. He's so deceptively fast and strong that defenders really struggle to get a good shot on him. His biggest strength is his ability to make defenders miss in the backfield. Can't tell you how many plays the defenders get good penetration and he makes them miss behind the line. Rarely gets brought down for negative yardage b/c he's so long he falls forward for atleast 2 yards. 2011 outlook-Hopefully we can get him some help to share the load and continue to use him in the passing game as well. He made so many 3rd and long plays!

Wade smith & #55(name escapes me for the moment) These two played extremely well in both the pass and run game. Their ability to get to the 2nd level and seal LB's really made fosters job easier. 2011 outlook-Can't wait to see how they do playing next to each other in their 2nd seasons together

VONTA LEACH- Man among boys these first 4 games. So important to our offense... 2011 outlook-Bring him back Smith or face my wraith!!!

Special Teams- If I have to watch steve slaton return one more kick to the 20-22 yard line I'm gonna kill someone!! He's so bad its not even funny... Kickoff coverage has been good before many injuries take their toll.

Going back and watching games without the gut wrenching fear of not knowing the outcome is actually kind of nice. Having said that I found myself still getting nervous during the Redskins game!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79884 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 first 4 games breakdown

Rep to you!
I agree with most the things you say.

Now, how about them LBs, especially Diles and Adibi.

Like Pollard, they would make some good plays and then stink up the joint.
Did you count how many catches (and yards) the TEs and RBs from the other teams got?

How about McPain?
And how many times did Quin and the rest fall down as compared to Jackson?

I know that Jackson needs to improve, but in what other instances did you see him look bad at jamming the receiver besides the R. Williams' play?

If I ever get done with Wade Phillips' defense, I'd get back to breaking down these games, play by play or just the important plays.

Maybe you can try one, like the Skins game, for example.
I'll add my observations.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Rep to you!
I agree with most the things you say.

Now, how about them LBs, especially Diles and Adibi.

Like Pollard, they would make some good plays and then stink up the joint.
Did you count how many catches (and yards) the TEs and RBs from the other teams got?

How about McPain?
And how many times did Quin and the rest fall down as compared to Jackson?

I know that Jackson needs to improve, but in what other instances did you see him look bad at jamming the receiver besides the R. Williams' play?

If I ever get done with Wade Phillips' defense, I'd get back to breaking down these games, play by play or just the important plays.

Maybe you can try one, like the Skins game, for example.
I'll add my observations.
76Texan, thanks for the rep. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

The player that stands out at LB would be Adibi and not in a good way. In my opinion he was lost out there and I don't expect to see him play for us again. He really struggled with reading a play correctly and that would put him in terrible positions. He gets abused all day during the Redskins game. Cooley really beat him on one touchdown play.

I didn't keep a count going on the catches but Tight ends and even full backs really hurt us. Redskins and colts game come to mind on those two. The majority of the big play in the redskins were their fullbacks or their tightends. Pollard really struggled playing man on any player.

Mcain didn't really jump out to me, but his lack of physcial pressence shows up. He's not in jackson and quinn's league when it comes to tackling. Quinn had the best coverage and had some completions on him where he was all over the receiver.

When watching Kareem try and bump receivers the first thing you notice is he doesn't jar the receiver or redirect him well. When he tried he would get off balance and couldn't recover. I've heard the secondary coach talk about his eye placement and that could be the key for him. The big thing is once the WR got physical at the line he would lose his balance and fall or just lose a step.

After I look at the rest of the season I'm gonna go back and watch Wades defenses when he was the DC.
Old 06-07-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79884 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
76Texan, thanks for the rep. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

The player that stands out at LB would be Adibi and not in a good way. In my opinion he was lost out there and I don't expect to see him play for us again. He really struggled with reading a play correctly and that would put him in terrible positions. He gets abused all day during the Redskins game. Cooley really beat him on one touchdown play.

I didn't keep a count going on the catches but Tight ends and even full backs really hurt us. Redskins and colts game come to mind on those two. The majority of the big play in the redskins were their fullbacks or their tightends. Pollard really struggled playing man on any player.
Adibi disappointed me last season.

That said, I want to point out a few things that I noticed:

1. Any DC that would let a LB run with a TE (with no help whatsoever in one half portion of the field should be fired on the spot).
Bush was very good at doing such things. I couldn't believe he let Pollard run one-one-one with DeSean Jackson in the Eagles game, for example.

2. Antonio Smith is good at penetrating, but he's not very adept at staying home on the bootleg/roll out. He also fell short of playing the cut back run.
Playing him as a 3-4 DE makes good sense to me.
Sometimes, Smith bit the PA fake, only to make the LB following suit.

3. Opponents can and did take advantage of the man-scheme the Texans run (from time to time) to use an offensive player (and/or his defender) to get in the way of another defender to spring another offensive player free.

4. Adibi came from VTech (same as Carmichael), where they use the pattern-matching scheme that Wade employs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Have you broken down phillips defense yet? What game tape are you using?
Old 06-09-2011   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Message Board of pain.

Thanks for that excellent breakdown. You may need to take some time off now, it's well deserved.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read