Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will Kubiak Last the Season?

AJ88

Practice Squad
Hey guys, new to this board. Actually just recently moved down to Houston (job) but have been interested in the Texans for a while and really trying to become a hardcore fan, maybe get to some games this year now that I'm not living 1,000 miles away.

Was reading this column this morning and I guess it's an obvious, recurring question, but it still made me think nonetheless. How much was Frank Bush's fault? How much was Kubiak's fault? Even if some of the Texans' issues haven't been Kubiak-related, would he be blamed regardless?

Guess I just think it's an interesting situation. Personally, I think his entire fate hinges on a combination of the 2011 draft class and improvement from the 2010 draft class (specifically, Kareem Jackson.) Column's pretty good, probably says it better than I'm able, but just honest opinions, will Kubiak last the season? Why/why not? And is it fair if he's axed?

If Kubiak is to get axed it would be after the season if there is one. Welcome aboard I look forward to exchanging more ideas and opinions with you in the future.

Kubiak needs to go. One look at the Texans team since he took over is all the proof you need as to why.

What will probably happen is he will be here for one more full season, whenever that might be. And it's also possible Bum's boy saves Kubiak's job and he stays on longer. Like the weather, I wouldn't predict anything about the Texans with certainty.

last year it was premature to say Kubiak had to win to retain his job, even this year with the lock-out Bob could comp him his last season on his contract if he shows some signs of life, meaning at least 8-8. So yes, I think Kubiak will last the season regardless.

This is an interesting question that hasn't been pondered around these parts... :thinking: [/sarcasm]

Will Kubiak Last the Season?

Of course he will last the season (if there is one, obviously). Ol' Bob won't fire a head coach during a season. That much is quite obvious, and probably okay to even the most anti-Kubiak folks ('cept maybe Tex & Porky :winky:). If it's too traumatic to fire a head coach in the off-season for the owner, there is no doubt that he won't fire the coach during a season.

So the question really comes down to how bad would the team have to perform for McNair to let Kubiak go after the 2011 season. And, based on the lock-out situation as it impacts operations, as well as the hiring of a new DC that is implementing a new scheme, I'd say that the team would have to lose every game for McNair to make that call.

After all, the other owners said we are on the right track with Kubiak, so we just have to choo-choo along now!

This is an interesting question that hasn't been pondered around these parts... :thinking: [/sarcasm]

Of course he will last the season (if there is one, obviously). Ol' Bob won't fire a head coach during a season. That much is quite obvious, and probably okay to even the most anti-Kubiak folks ('cept maybe Tex & Porky :winky:). If it's too traumatic to fire a head coach in the off-season for the owner, there is no doubt that he won't fire the coach during a season.

So the question really comes down to how bad would the team have to perform for McNair to let Kubiak go after the 2011 season. And, based on the lock-out situation as it impacts operations, as well as the hiring of a new DC that is implementing a new scheme, I'd say that the team would have to lose every game for McNair to make that call.

After all, the other owners said we are on the right track with Kubiak, so we just have to choo-choo along now!

Of course now we are going to see a Kubiak -> Phillips transition.. sigh.. Can we get a real coach for $100 Alex?

Ol' Bob won't fire a head coach during a season. That much is quite obvious, and probably okay to even the most anti-Kubiak folks ('cept maybe Tex & Porky :winky:). If it's too traumatic to fire a head coach in the off-season for the owner, there is no doubt that he won't fire the coach during a season.

I disagree. I think part of the reason Wade was brought in was his HC experience, which would alleviate any reticence Bob might have in changing coaches mid-season.

A lot depends on the lockout, but if we have a regular, 16 game season and start, say, 1-5, the pressure to change coaches would be immense, and with a seasoned coach on staff, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Bob would pull the trigger.

I disagree. I think part of the reason Wade was brought in was his HC experience, which would alleviate any reticence Bob might have in changing coaches mid-season.

A lot depends on the lockout, but if we have a regular, 16 game season and start, say, 1-5, the pressure to change coaches would be immense, and with a seasoned coach on staff, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Bob would pull the trigger.

I think it matters how they get to 1-5. If the offense is hanging 27 pts on folks and the D is still giving up last minute Jags, Jets type losses I don't see McNair blaming Kubiak.

Being that I've wanted Kubiak gone for 2 years now, it pains me to say this but I can see him being here for many more years. This is how I see it playing out..and I think it is realistic. 1) Strike shortens part of the year. Texans miss early schedule woes and make the playoffs. I'm putting this under "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" scenario because I find him to be a terrible coach but at some point one brick in the wall will budge. 2) Kubiak retained because he finally gets over hump, albeit short season. 3) The next season Gary goes back to his losing ways but the one season got him traction with good ole Bob and thus the next hump is around the corner. It is very depressing but this is what keeps popping up in my head. I mean seriously, 5 years and the guy is still here. I still can't believe it.

Welcome to Texas and to Texans fandom.

If you aren't already aware, the factor that motivates us most is the desire for relevance. This is why we treat Monday Night Football games like it's the playoffs.

If the Texans offense remains potent in 2011 and doesn't regress, Kubiak will be around in 2012. The defense is all Wade's now.

You know, we are all aware that OD is sometimes referred to as the weatherman because of his degree in meteorology. But I nominate Kubiak for the nickname. Because The Weatherman can be wrong over and over again, yet he still keeps his job and people still watch.

I understand where you are coming from, because I share a similar perspective. I honestly think Wade will be our next head coach.

However, that being said, infantrycak has a good counter argument where the situation would have to be 'just right' for Wade to become our next HC.

Like he mentioned, if the offense is putting up 27 and the D is still abysmal, Wade will not be the HC regardless of our record.

It would have to be a situation where Kubiak's decisions are the obvious reason(s) why the team is losing games, and even then it can often be a subjective situation to blame a coach. McNair has shown that he is more patient than 31 other owners, so we do not really know the depth of that patience at this point.

And I think there are two build in "excuse factors" if the team does not do well in 2011: the lock-out's effect on football operations, and the implementation of a new defensive scheme.

I still think that Wade is being groomed for the HC position, but I concede that this is based on a 'gut feeling' and my own opinions about this franchise's marketing decisions than it does any concrete evidence from the owner...because that evidence does not exist right now. McNair loves him some Kubiak, and I don't see a firing mid-season at all and I honestly see him as the HC for at least two more seasons. McNair could give a rat's ass about fan opinions as long as fans are selling out that stadium.

I think so. He may even have another season as HC after this one if there's a lockout. The Texans will struggle and McNair will blame it on all the missed time. He'll say the team just needs more time to gel and Kubiak deserves a full season in 2012.

If this team fails again the fans are going to be too crazy for Bob to keep Gary or at least they should be.

You know, we are all aware that OD is sometimes referred to as the weatherman because of his degree in meteorology. But I nominate Kubiak for the nickname. Because The Weatherman can be wrong over and over again, yet he still keeps his job and people still watch.

So I guess we could call Smith the Politician for the same reason?
Welcome to Houston and to the Texans, AJ88.

If Kubiak wins 1/2 his games this year, he will be given another extension. Some things never change.

JMO, but I think Kubiak will be back for the final season of his contract (2013) regardless of how he does in the 2012 season. He'll only have 1 season after this one and McNair won't want to pay 2 head coaches.

Only way he gets fired midseason is if we are just completely getting smashed. I'm talking like 0-7.

If there is a season, I think he'll last through it.

I think the results of this season are going to be too abnormal to put much stock into anyway. I mean, what if we won the Super Bowl in a shortened season? Would it really mean anything?

I dunno, it's going to be weird.

As a big fan of Kubiak until last season, I really don't know. I could argue either way. He allowed Frank Bush to remain as our defense fell apart. Yes, some was injuries but that happens every year. Some were bad breaks (Quin in the end zone knocking ball into opponents hand for a score)but that is football.
This a make or break year for Gary, Texans and for me remaining a fan. Bringing in Phillips as DC was good, the draft even better. I do not want Wade has HC.

Welcome to the board and keep kicking out the threads as we have little else to do.

If there is a season, I think he'll last through it.

I think the results of this season are going to be too abnormal to put much stock into anyway. I mean, what if we won the Super Bowl in a shortened season? Would it really mean anything?

I dunno, it's going to be weird.

I'd take it in a heartbeat!

They can quasi-asterisk it all they want, but it's not official (sort of like all the jive Rockets fans have had to endure about Jordan being retired).

ALL teams have to deal with the implications of the lock-out, so from that perspective it's a level playing field.

Give me a Super Bowl championship under any circumstance at this point.

If we play a full 16 game season, Kubiak will be fired by mid-November, right when we begin our usual late season swan dive. After last year, I think the "Owner's don't like to make coaching changes in the middle of the season" argument went right out the window. Owners don't care anymore. They will yank a coach when they have to. And I don't blame them.

Now, if we have a shortened season...watch out. Kubiak will be our coach for life. I'm serious.

If we play a full 16 game season, Kubiak will be fired by mid-November, right when we begin our usual late season swan dive. After last year, I think the "Owner's don't like to make coaching changes in the middle of the season" argument went right out the window. Owners don't care anymore. They will yank a coach when they have to. And I don't blame them.

Now, if we have a shortened season...watch out. Kubiak will be our coach for life. I'm serious.

Usual late season swan dive? Do you actually watch the Texans or just criticize randomly? The Texans have had an excellent record over the last quarter of the season under Kubiak.

I'd take it in a heartbeat!

They can quasi-asterisk it all they want, but it's not official (sort of like all the jive Rockets fans have had to endure about Jordan being retired).

ALL teams have to deal with the implications of the lock-out, so from that perspective it's a level playing field.

Give me a Super Bowl championship under any circumstance at this point.

Well, I remember full well all the hoopin and hollerin I did those two years the Rockets won the championship. But since then, I've had plenty people ask me this . . .

"Now, do you really truly believe that if Jordan wasn't playing baseball those two years, would the Rockets still have won the championship?"

Considering what the Bulls did after Jordan came back, well . . . there are times when you just need to be brutally honest with yourself.

I'm a 57 year old cancer patient, so I feel like I can legitimately say that I wonder if the Texans will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. (I always get a chuckle when I read some snotty-nosed 21 year-old say that)

But if the Texans do win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, I don't want to wonder 2 years later if Michael Jordan hadn't been playing baseball. I want it to be legitimate, without even the appearance of any "special circumstances".

And this season, to me, has already become one big fricken asterisk. So I wish they would just cancel the season and be done with it.

Usual late season swan dive? Do you actually watch the Texans or just criticize randomly? The Texans have had an excellent record over the last quarter of the season under Kubiak.

Late season swan dives? It's been more like early and mid-season cratering and late season heroics to keep Kubiak afloat.

I will bit the dust and sport a Kubiak avatar if proven wrong.
I think you should at least change your last name to Kubiak for the following season. You could do his interviews and everything. Just think you and John McClain and a microphone.

:runaway:

Do YOU actually watch the Texans? I'm not talking about the last two game winning streak that we somehow manage to pull off to save Kubiak's ass. I'm talking about the late October to early November disaster we always seem to find ourselves in.

Well, I remember full well all the hoopin and hollerin I did those two years the Rockets won the championship. But since then, I've had plenty people ask me this . . .

"Now, do you really truly believe that if Jordan wasn't playing baseball those two years, would the Rockets still have won the championship?"

Considering what the Bulls did after Jordan came back, well . . . there are times when you just need to be brutally honest with yourself.

I'm a 57 year old cancer patient, so I feel like I can legitimately say that I wonder if the Texans will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. (I always get a chuckle when I read some snotty-nosed 21 year-old say that)

But if the Texans do win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, I don't want to wonder 2 years later if Michael Jordan hadn't been playing baseball. I want it to be legitimate, without even the appearance of any "special circumstances".

And this season, to me, has already become one big fricken asterisk. So I wish they would just cancel the season and be done with it.

I understand where you're coming from, and it's certainly a solid perspective.

I tend to dismiss the "Jordan asterisks", though. He was obviously burnt out on basketball when he first retired for a baseball career, so that has to be taken into account. And the Rockets always played well against Jordan's Bulls. Vernon Maxwell was one of the only opponents that could get into Jordan's head during games. And the Bulls did not have an answer for Hakeem, much less during the peak of his greatness. Jordan himself called Hakeem the best player on earth when he returned to the NBA.

Don't forget the greatness of Hakeem. Olajuwon is the the first and only NBA player ever to win the regular season MVP, Defensive Player of the Year Award, and NBA Finals MVP in the same season. I think it diminishes his legacy by going with the "Jordan asterisks", but that's just my opinion.

As far as the 2011 NFL season, it already blows even if they play a full 16 game schedule. I agree with you that the product is certainly going to be less than what it should be without the off-season.

However, I'm also a life-long Houston pro football fan, and I'm not going to turn away any success our team might encounter if it should happen, asterisks and all.

Do YOU actually watch the Texans? I'm not talking about the last two game winning streak that we somehow manage to pull off to save Kubiak's ass. I'm talking about the late October to early November disaster we always seem to find ourselves in.

Nice crawfish. So now "late season" means beginning late October? Yeah right. Game 6 comes in the last half of October but keep trying to salvage your inaccurate statement. Just say I meant mid-season Sarah.

I think you should at least change your last name to Kubiak for the following season. You could do his interviews and everything. Just think you and John McClain and a microphone.

:runaway:
Guys, it's on me. Done. See you next week.

Hey guys, new to this board. Actually just recently moved down to Houston (job) but have been interested in the Texans for a while and really trying to become a hardcore fan, maybe get to some this year now that I'm not living 1,000 miles away.

Was reading this column this morning and I guess it's an obvious, recurring question, but it still made me think nonetheless. How much was Frank Bush's fault? How much was Kubiak's fault? Even if some of the Texans' issues haven't been Kubiak-related, would he be blamed regardless?

Guess I just think it's an interesting situation. Personally, I think his entire fate hinges on a combination of the 2011 draft class and improvement from the 2010 draft class (specifically, Kareem Jackson.) Column's pretty good, probably says it better than I'm able, but just honest opinions, will Kubiak last the season? Why/why not? And is it fair if he's axed?

Hmmmm no off season, kubiak is bored. New poster so interested in the fate of kubiak and our opinions ?!?!?!? very interesting.

Look, I don't like Kubiak as a head coach, but my "love" for the Texans is greater than my disdain for Kubiak. So, in that regard I hope Kubiak will last the whole season as the head coach. That would mean that the Texans are playing really well and they will make the playoffs. On the other hand, McNair could just give Kubiak this year and next year due to the work stoppage and tell the fans he didn't really get a chance to do what he wanted. But I think the only way Kubiak will last this season is if he wins and gets us to the playoffs.

Depends on were we are mid way through the season

I think we can can him midway through the season if he's doing bad wade could step right in and be the hc IMO and dennesion could run the offensive

Depends on were we are mid way through the season

I think we can can him midway through the season if he's doing bad wade could step right in and be the hc IMO and dennesion could run the offensive

Kubiak isn't going anywhere. Firing a coach in mid-year is not McNair's style. Besides, with a new defensive coordinator and scheme and the lock-out, he has all the excuses he needs to be here two more years.

Kubiak isn't going anywhere. Firing a coach in mid-year is not McNair's style. Besides, with a new defensive coordinator and scheme and the lock-out, he has all the excuses he needs to be here two more years.
Which incidentally is what's left on Kubiak's contract.

Of course if Kubiak can go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, he'll get another well deserved extension. And why not? The Texans are on the right track.

If we only play 8 games and only win half, might as well do it!
If he wins all 8 how would you feel about that?

If we only play 8 games and only win half, might as well do it!
If he wins all 8 how would you feel about that?

Great, we finally become "relevant" and it has to be marred with an asterisk of a short season.

IE. "Sure, they were undefeated, but who is to say the wouldnt have screwed the pooch and lost their last 8 games for the trademark 8-8."

As much as it pains me to say this, I hope he does. The thought of Wade becoming the HC makes my skin crawl...... to be the Cowboys hand me down team....... *shivering*

For me it would be more about how well they play rather than how many wins.

I'm in this camp as well. I've been concerned all along about how quickly we can make the transition to the 3-4. I've only been watching this game since black & white TV w/rabbit ears (with foil flags :D) but it seems as though it's always taken a couple of years to be successful. I really hope Wade can get it done right now even taking into consideration the lack dept.

One can only hope.

Good attitude for little league, but not for professional football. :winky:

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."
~ Vince Lombardi

Wow.

Seriously?

So if the team plays well, but, somehow, ended up 1-15 (yes, I'm being extreme, but you know how this team is with back luck and breaks and decision-making) that would be ok?

Really?

Sorry, man, but, one of the beauties of sports is the clear metrics: W's count. Nothing else.

Period.

Back