Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Herring: “A lot of overreaction” about Williams

By Nick Scurfield
Posted Jun 1, 2011

Quote:
Reggie Herring wants you to calm down.

Take a deep breath. Relax. Cool your jets. Pump your brakes.

The Texans’ linebackers coach has seen the rampant speculation and debate that followed the news that Mario Williams will move to weak outside linebacker in Wade Phillips’ 3-4. And he would like to set the record straight once and for all.

“There’s been a lot of what I would say a lot of overreaction as to us moving him out there,” Herring said last week in his office at Reliant Stadium. “There’s a lot of anxiety built up for no reason. At the end of the day, over half the game, our outside ‘backers are down in our sub package rushing outside, which is what he did anyway and has done in college.”

In other words, Williams will be down in a three-point stance on the line of scrimmage in nickel situations. On the edge of a four-man line. Just like he was in the 4-3 that the Texans ran from 2006-10.

“And the other half of the (time), he will just be in a two-point (stance) outside rushing from an outside position, and very, very seldomly dropping,” Herring said. “We’re different in structure from most 3-4 teams, and I think everybody breaks out the 3-4 manual and kind of broad brushes just what we’re doing with him, and they don’t really understand our 3-4 defense.

“Our 3-4 defense is we determine who rushes on every snap, not the formation. Nobody can dictate by formation who rushes or drops by motioning the tight end over and creating a strong set to the weakside. We say who’s going to rush, and they rush. And at the end of the day, regardless of what formation it is, we’ll dictate how many times Mario rushes and drops. So people can forget about that.”

In base packages on first and second downs, when Williams is in a two-point stance, he’ll line up wider than he did in the 4-3.

“He’ll be rushing from a two-point (stance) from basically a two-yard, yard-and-a-half alignment outside the tackle on the weakside – more so than he was in a 4-3, where they could put a tight end to his side and he could end up being a six-technique rushing from inside or head-up on the tight end, which puts him in a lot harder predicament rushing the passer than it would in a two-point two yards outside the tackle,” Herring said. “So there’s a lot of pluses more so the other way than kind of the panic that people are taking, (like), ‘How could you move that big guy out there?’”

Herring said that it will be a process to work on Williams’ footwork from a stand-up position, but he and Phillips think Williams will get comfortable with it quickly. And Herring is not concerned with how the 6-6, 290-pound Williams will fare with dropping into coverage, because it simply won’t happen very often. And when it does, it won’t be a difficult task.

“People are saying, basically, ‘How can you tell us that he’s only going to (drop) three times a game, maybe?’” Herring said. “Well, because we dictate that. We do have the capability of dropping him. What he does is a very easy drop.
“You hear guys get on TV and explain how, ‘Well, when I was in the 3-4, we might be dropping on wideouts and all these multiple looks and it’s so hard.’ That’s not the case in our system. When we ask the Will linebacker to drop – the proof’s in the pudding at Dallas. Alls you’ve got to do is get the film, number one, and look at it and see how many times DeMarcus Ware dropped in Dallas, and they also can call him personally and ask him. Everybody on that team’s begging to play the Will ‘backer position because you should be a double-digit producer, sacker, if you’re good at your trade, which we think Mario is.”

Ware had 60.5 sacks under Phillips and Herring from 2007-10, more than any player in the league in those four seasons. He led the league in sacks in two of the last three years. Williams has 43.5 sacks since 2007, which ranks sixth in the NFL.

Ware rarely dropped into coverage from the Will position with the Cowboys. That’s exactly how the Texans will use Williams.

“Having said that, the drops are very simple,” Herring said. “We never ask him to do anything but drop a curl drop weak to a number one receiver, which is a 10-12 yard drop, which if he played basketball when he was in little league, I think he can open his hips and drop a little 12-yard curl drop and do it three, four times a game, really, at max.”

Because Phillips’ 3-4 is different than most 3-4s, Williams’ role on each down will not be affected by what an offense does before the snap.

“If they were to motion a tight end to his side, well, guess what?” Herring said. “He widens outside more, outside the tight end, and rushes the passer.

“So, I’m real excited about it. I’ve watched him over the past couple years on film. I actually coached him in college at N.C. State (in 2004). I know what he’s capable of, and regardless of what people think and all the preconceived ideas, we’re expecting a huge year out of him.”

Herring said that the Texans expect both of their outside linebackers (Will and Sam) to contend for the league lead in sacks. Phillips has had players such as Shawne Merriman in San Diego lead the league from the strongside, which is where Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed will play in 2011.

“We’re very excited about Mario playing Will, and we think if you understand exactly what we’re doing with him, it really should help Mario,” Herring said. “It should revive his career. It should rejuvenate his excitement about being a Houston Texan. The challenge is on us and him because we expect, and he’s got to expect to be a double-digit sack guy, as well as the other position at Sam. We’ll see what happens, but we’re really excited about the opportunity.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Herring: “A lot of overreaction” about Williams

Good, solid article. Thanks a million CND.
Old 06-02-2011   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fans should be overeacting after a decade of terrible football.

Herring's new, but he's caught on to how to play Billionaire BoBBys con game.

Company man
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Fans should be overeacting after a decade of terrible football.

Herring's new, but he's caught on to how to play Billionaire BoBBys con game.

Company man
spot on!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
By Nick Scurfield
Posted Jun 1, 2011
Well pardon me for having concerns...
Ware had 17 more sacks in 2007,08,09 and 10 per this coach. That's 4 more sacks a season than Mario. Williams would go from 8.5 to 12.5 a good increase but a total that would not be that great for this system. I don't see McNair opening the wallet for the contract Mario would want. Another thing, I do not want to see Mario dropping in coverage EVER let alone 3 times a game. A Qb with a quick release and a WR who could hold onto the ball would eat Mario alive. And with our corners desperately requiring safety help, I see 3 plays a game going for bunches of yards.

Herring says "If a TE motions out, so what? Mario moves out wider and rushes QB." What? Uh the role of the TE would be to slow the OLB down not catch the ball." I am not saying I'm smarter than this guy but so far, I am unimpressed.
Old 06-02-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is about MW not wanting to play DE. But wanting to rush the passer. Wade gave in to MW. Now the Texan PR dept has gone into full spin mode.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is about MW not wanting to play DE. But wanting to rush the passer. Wade gave in to MW. Now the Texan PR dept has gone into full spin mode.
100% correct. Still, spin can prove to be true and we should hope it does.
Old 06-02-2011   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

a 3/4 where you know MW is coming 95% of the game. then guess who the other 3 will be out of 3 DL and 3 LB. sounds like a 4/3 to me. sounds like i hope herring/wade really are just flat out better coaches than frankenbush and co.

i think i would've told mario to buck up because you're a DE. i can handle a nobody at DT if mario and watt are the ends. reed/barwin/cushing is a lot of speed at LB, a lot of heat for cookin manning's burgers. i think that line up would bring enough pressure that nobody would notice we didn't sign asomugha.

mmmm.......burgers.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
a 3/4 where you know MW is coming 95% of the game. then guess who the other 3 will be out of 3 DL and 3 LB. sounds like a 4/3 to me. sounds like i hope herring/wade really are just flat out better coaches than frankenbush and co.

i think i would've told mario to buck up because you're a DE. i can handle a nobody at DT if mario and watt are the ends. reed/barwin/cushing is a lot of speed at LB, a lot of heat for cookin manning's burgers. i think that line up would bring enough pressure that nobody would notice we didn't sign asomugha.

mmmm.......burgers.
Nah, come one TK! It's going to work. Listen to me..click your heels together 3 times and say I believe, I believe.
Old 06-03-2011   #10
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

mmmm.......burgers.
Yumm, Peyton burgers! Call me crazy but are we forgetting that we still have Antonio Smith at the other defensive end? Where is he in this equation?

Mario+Smith+Watt+Reed+Cushing+Ryan-(Bush+Okoye)+Barwin=

Oh, nevermind. I forgot about the lockout. I will wait till we have some free agent signings to predict how much Manning will hate Phillips' guts!
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #11
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Yumm, Peyton burgers! Call me crazy but are we forgetting that we still have Antonio Smith at the other defensive end? Where is he in this equation?
The bench?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
The bench?
Who beats him out? Definitely not Watt. If Watt starts over Smith it will be because the coach gave it to him.
Old 06-03-2011   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Who beats him out? Definitely not Watt. If Watt starts over Smith it will be because the coach gave it to him.
Really? I would take Watt over Smith in a heartbeat.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh.....whatever.....

I'm just going to wait for the season to start, if it even does this year, and see what happens. As some have already said, it's all spin. And with all the practice time (for all NFL teams and players) flying out the window daily, predictions of what might happen this season are iffy at best.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Really? I would take Watt over Smith in a heartbeat.
Long term? Sure and maybe, maybe mid season, but definitely not as day one starter. I look for Smith to have very good year that will not necessarily be identified by sacks.
Old 06-03-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
meh.....whatever.....

I'm just going to wait for the season to start, if it even does this year, and see what happens. As some have already said, it's all spin. And with all the practice time (for all NFL teams and players) flying out the window daily, predictions of what might happen this season are iffy at best.
Reducing the pre-season from four to two games for this season would allow more on field time for new guys. Yes, the first game or two of regular season will be ragged but it would be fairly good.
Old 06-03-2011   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the proof’s in the pudding at Dallas. Alls you’ve got to do is get the film, number one, and look at it and see how many times DeMarcus Ware dropped in Dallas, and they also can call him personally and ask him. Everybody on that team’s begging to play the Will ‘backer position because you should be a double-digit producer, sacker, if you’re good at your trade,
Good job of Herring using the media to tell Mario to contact Ware for more info and possibly get film from him.

Quote:
He’ll be rushing from a two-point (stance) from basically a two-yard, yard-and-a-half alignment outside the tackle on the weakside – more so than he was in a 4-3, where they could put a tight end to his side and he could end up being a six-technique rushing from inside or head-up on the tight end, which puts him in a lot harder predicament rushing the passer than it would in a two-point two yards outside the tackle,” Herring said. “So there’s a lot of pluses more so the other way than kind of the panic that people are taking, (like), ‘How could you move that big guy out there?’”
Got that Mario?
Quote:
“Our 3-4 defense is we determine who rushes on every snap, not the formation. Nobody can dictate by formation who rushes or drops by motioning the tight end over and creating a strong set to the weakside. We say who’s going to rush, and they rush. And at the end of the day, regardless of what formation it is, we’ll dictate how many times Mario rushes and drops. So people can forget about that.”
To me, this is the biggest thing about this article. The complaint over the years was that our defense was so vanilla. Now Herring is basically saying that if Dallas Clark or Reggie Wayne go in motion, we aint going to make a move that will let Manning know where our rush is coming from so that he can just quick throw the other way and get out of the rush. Anyone care to guess what Phillips' record vs Manning was while with San Diego and Dallas?

Now we wont be sateliting our pass rush. By letting Mario go all day, the offense has to account for the fact the rush is coming from that end so they will have to do something about that, but that leaves them open for any scheme on the other side. Isn't that where guys like Shawn Merriman and Brady James made a pretty decent living?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Long term? Sure and maybe, maybe mid season, but definitely not as day one starter. I look for Smith to have very good year that will not necessarily be identified by sacks.
I think he a starter Day 1. I know I overvalue draft picks, but Watt is a beast, and will be for a long time. His sheer athleticism and work ethic makes him a must start from the get-go.

Anyway, we dont have the problem. Putting Mario at OLB/DE (I refuse to call him a pure OLB) means we start Watt and Smith, meaning 3 our 3 best DL are on the field a majority of the time.
Old 06-03-2011   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think he a starter Day 1. I know I overvalue draft picks, but Watt is a beast, and will be for a long time. His sheer athleticism and work ethic makes him a must start from the get-go.

Anyway, we dont have the problem. Putting Mario at OLB/DE (I refuse to call him a pure OLB) means we start Watt and Smith, meaning 3 our 3 best DL are on the field a majority of the time.
how about just saying Mario Williams plays the hybrid OLB role in Wade Phillips hybrid 3-4?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
how about just saying Mario Williams plays the hybrid OLB role in Wade Phillips hybrid 3-4?
That is a good name for the position. Hybrid OLB. HOLB for short perhaps?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read