Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Punk Move by the Panthers

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
LZ just linked this story on "the Twitter":

Punk move by Panthers players to lock out media

I have a message for the Carolina Panthers players who thought hiring a uniformed cop to keep reporters away from Tuesday’s workout session at a Charlotte high school was a good idea. And against all logic, I’m going to deliver it without the benefit of police protection:

You guys are acting like morons – and wimps.

Yep, I said it, and I’m prepared to own it, because it’s my job to enunciate opinions and accept the consequences. Then again, I’m actually being paid for my endeavors, unlike Panthers workout organizer Jordan Gross(notes) and his locked-out teammates, who nonetheless behaved as though the flow of information from day one of their faux minicamp was as privileged as their condescending owner, Jerry Richardson.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I've been reading comments on this and still haven't figured out what the big deal is. I mean, who cares? Maybe they're following guidelines from previous off seasons and would rather try status quo as much as possible? I think the media's just getting butt-hurt over nothing. Unless I'm missing something here?

Stemp

Brew Master
Maybe they are tried of being pestered by the media and having everyone watch and report their every move. These "sports writers" are so desperate for NFL news they get all pissy when the players don't want them around when they work out.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I've been reading comments on this and still haven't figured out what the big deal is. I mean, who cares? Maybe they're following guidelines from previous off seasons and would rather try status quo as much as possible? I think the media's just getting butt-hurt over nothing. Unless I'm missing something here?
Just read a tweet on "the Twitter" (SECGuy reference) apparently Matt Schaub and the Texans haven't been very welcoming at Rice stadium. However the New Orleans Saints have been accomodating to media and fans.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Maybe they don't want people making fun of their workouts that look like my grandma does with her senior citizens aerobic class.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Just read a tweet on "the Twitter" (SECGuy reference) apparently Matt Schaub and the Texans haven't been very welcoming at Rice stadium. However the New Orleans Saints have been accomodating to media and fans.
Yup, and the media's loverboy, Tom Brady isn't allowing media either. Is it because they're using a cop to shoo them away? Meh, it's mostly stemming from this Mike Silver guy, who's honestly sounding like a baby that had it's binky taken away.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I twittered back with LZ. I get them locking them out completely. Look at that meatheaded bash job that Silver did just by having him locked out. Maybe they just wanted to have their workouts private so they could concentrate vs having 20 columns on how Cam looked in glorified shorts and shirts workouts. If the media wants some respect then they need to respect that it is probably easier for teams to prepare in this crazy time without the distractions.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
They are practicing at a "Charlotte high school". If that's a public school, then I have to agree with the author. They shouldn't have a right to privacy on public property paid for with tax dollars. If it's a private school, then yeah the school can kick anyone off their property that they want to.

Rey

They are practicing at a "Charlotte high school". If that's a public school, then I have to agree with the author. They shouldn't have a right to privacy on public property paid for with tax dollars. If it's a private school, then yeah the school can kick anyone off their property that they want to.
Any public school can invite whomever they want to on their campus..

And by that same token, they can kick most people off the campus...

You can't just go walk around and hang out at a public school just because it's paid for with tax dollars...Hell even at a lot of public parks they close the gates at a certain time...

Rey

If I were the players I wouldn't be giving the NFL any free publicity at this point. I'm pretty sure there are a few reasons that they don't want camera crews running around them while they are practicing...

GP

Go Texans!
Geez.

Sometimes journalists are so funny.

Look, Mr. Media, in case you're not aware of how the fans think: We don't give a rat's ass about whether you get to ask the players the SAME questions that have been asked over and over again. Let me guess: You're going to ask about the labor case? Um-hmm. You're going to ask about what they're doing to prepare in the meantime? Check. Not too many new questions to ask them, IMO.

I get it. You are told by your boss to go out and get a story. But guess what? You need to be telling your boss that nobody gives a rat's ass and that reporting on NFL stuff is going to be a slow, boring grind that doesn't move at the rate it normally does.

Tweeting your hissy fit just makes YOU look bad. Quit crying and move on.

GP

Go Texans!
And I wouldn't be working out right now. If I am not getting paid, I ain't workin'...and I wouldn't care how that's "perceived" by anybody.

I know they're trying to give off the impression that their action vs. the owners is not JUST to take time off and be lazy, but still...they shouldn't be doing anything that promotes the NFL product. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

If anything, to me, it gives off the impression that the players are going to cave and they ARE just milking this thing to get the summer off...knowing full well that they're going to sign some sort of deal at some point, and this is just a gamble to try and win in court during the summer.

Hey Lance Z: Thanks for all you do, in bringing us NFL coverage and stuff, but I doubt anybody here is going to hold it against you if you don't bring us anything until the wheels on the bus start moving again. Until then, do what you can and don't worry about what we think about journalists and the tough times they're having now. It's sort of expected.

GP

Go Texans!
I'm just tired of the bullshit, that's all.

The owners say they're getting hosed.

Players say they're getting hosed.

And now the media are bent out of shape? Jiminy Frickin Christmas. :choke:

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Dang, they haven't even canceled anything yet.

Give it another month, people will be either hanging themselves, sticking guns in their mouths, or throwing themselves out of high-rise windows.

Maybe they should cancel the season just to force everyone to put things in the right perspective.

DonnyMost

lol football :D
I have no problem with it. They're working out as individuals, not as members of the Carolina Panthers, and it will continue to be that way until the lockout is lifted. If they don't want you bothering/watching them, then tough s**t.

Media access is a privilege, not a right. Cry me a river.

DonnyMost

lol football :D
According to SI.com, it's a private school.

Is there anything further than:

"A few Houston Texans, led by QB Matt Schaub have taken it upon themselves to workout and practice at Rice Stadium in Houston."

...that could be said and still be worthy of typing? Honestly? Is there? Can anyone actually make a full news report out of some dudes (because as of now, they're not NFL players.....they're dudes) getting some physical activity? I will literally rep you for the rest of my life if you can make something interesting out of that.