Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-31-2011   #1
nut
Veteran

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected
Default When do you think the regular season will start?

It wouldn't bother me to get my dough back for those dogturd practice games but I really don't want to miss any regular season games.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #2
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When do you think the regular season will start?

I don't think any will be missed. I think we might miss 1 or 2 preseason games though.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Players get paid game checks, so I doubt we'll be missing any regular season games. They are talking big now, but when missing a ridiculously large paycheck looks like a reality, I bet a deal gets done. IMO, most NFL players are far, far from rocket scientists. They tend to live far beyond their means (as hard as that is for us to fathom) and they'll need the money.
Old 06-01-2011   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we'll miss any regular season games. I think we'll miss the first preseason game at most.
Old 06-01-2011   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

October. Players will miss a game check or two and cave.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Something along these lines I suspect.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

September 25th.
Old 06-01-2011   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Hopefully after the Steelers/Colts/Raiders and Ravens...
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #9
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67767 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
From a barganing standpoint everything changes once the season starts. Owner's will demand and get anything they want once the players lose checks and disassemble themselves.

The end wont be near until you hear a quote from a "name player" that is anti-union / pro owner. We will miss at least 1-2 weeks.

player quotes on the way to your ears soon...

"I have to do whats right for me."
"I have to keep food on the table."
"The economy is to bad right now to argue over billions and millions."
"I just want to get back out on the field."
"I didnt come out of college early to redshirt a season in the NFL."
"Demaurice smith has only his intrest at heart."
"Lawyers are the only ones making money right now."
"How am I gonna mantain my (insert : drug / prostitute /other criminal activity here) habit?
Old 06-01-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

soon after Independence Day, maybe July 7th

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna go with around the 1st of August.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #12
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 41206 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't believe we'll have football this year.
The players and the union were preparing for this for 2 years since the owners opted out.
IMO, a lot rides on whether the court forces the owners to set aside a good chunk of the TV money if there is no season. I believe the courts will do that and that puts the owners in a bind. If the courts let the owners keep all that money, the players will cave.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
The players and the union were preparing for this for 2 years since the owners opted out.
IMO, a lot rides on whether the court forces the owners to set aside a good chunk of the TV money if there is no season. I believe the courts will do that and that puts the owners in a bind. If the courts let the owners keep all that money, the players will cave.
I honestly don't believe the majority of players heeded the warnings to watch their finances and prepare for this. I also hope and pray that both sides will understand the "irreperable harm" that will be done to both sides if they do lose an entire season over this. Look how bad it hurt the MLB and for how long. Some say MLB still hasn't fully recovered and I know quite a few people that refuse to watch baseball because of the strikes. No pun intended.
Old 06-01-2011   #14
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this thing gets dragged out with 2 preseason games being cancelled......I would say mid August....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #15
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13094 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Hopefully after the Steelers/Colts/Raiders and Ravens...
Come on not the Ravens game-they are actually playing near me and I want to go!!
Old 06-01-2011   #16
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that it is in the courts, I don't see a CBA getting done.

There's the Lockout Injunction now in the 8th court of appeals
The TV network litigation with Judge Doty in MN. If it goes the players way (likely) then expect more appeals by the owners
The Anitrust triple damages issue
The National Labor Relations Board Investigation.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Except the players weren't saving money for it. There have been tons of reports of players taking out loans to pay off expenses in this interim. If they need loans now, when they normally would not be paid, they certainly don't have any real savings to speak. If they are taking out loans now, they certainly don't have money for September.

The Peyton Mannings of the world don't have an issue. It is the mid level guys who are living WAY above their means who are in dire straits. It all comes down to financial planning. MC Hammer once made $30 million and went broke the next year.

I bet you dollars to donuts, the owners are better financial planners than the players.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I suppose it has a lot to do with how much "talking" they actually do starting next week. They ***** and whine about wanting to get it done by negotiating, but only have these stupid 1-2 day sessions. It's hyprocritical and totally ridiculous that it has unfolded like it has. I'm going to say something my Mom would say....they should both be ashamed of themselves.

Very little to no progress has been made, so no predictions from me. But it doesn't look good
Old 06-01-2011   #19
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 879 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not mind missing the first two preseason games at home. That way I can get my money back since they don't even play the starters much at all those games.
They can play the last 2 preseason games on the road and be ready for the season opener against the Colts at Reliant.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #20
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd almost guarantee we won't play week 1. The schedule is set in a way that all the teams that play each other in week one share the same bye-week, so that game will be moved to the bye-week. And no one really cares about the pre-season, so really we're looking at week 2 as the earliest start date.

I think that game will be missed, since the week one game is moved, it will be the first game that determines "who blinks first".

No one will blink, and we move to Game 3. This will be the earliest we will start the season.
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read