Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-30-2011   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sounds like the NFL is serious about this lock-out stuff...

Quote:
If the lockout drags on, the NFL has a built-in mechanism to delay the start of the season until what is now scheduled to be the fourth week and still play 16 games and a full postseason.

Here's how they will make up those three weeks if necessary:

- In a bit of creative scheduling, teams playing each other in the third week of the season have the same bye week later in the year. For example, the Giants are scheduled play at Philly on Sept. 25. The Jets are in Oakland. The Giants and Eagles each have their bye in the seventh week. The Jets and Raiders each have their bye in the eighth week. So, if the third week gets cancelled, the makeup games will move to the bye week. Of course, it becomes a lot more complicated if the lockout wipes out more than the first three weeks.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1Ns5kW8vk
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo..._a.html?page=1

Starting to look more and more like there will be games missed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Sounds like the NFL is serious about this lock-out stuff...

Why bother having a season if there is going to be a late start or games are going missed?
Old 05-30-2011   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why bother having a season if there is going to be a late start or games are going missed?
I absolutely agree with that.

If games are going to be missed, then just cancel the whole fricken thing.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have some football than no football at all.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I absolutely agree with that.

If games are going to be missed, then just cancel the whole fricken thing.
I am just sick of it all and with more fans would just quite on the NFL.
Old 05-30-2011   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but fans LOVE football. At that time of the year, what are your sporting options?

1. Baseball. Ok. Sure, in September, but baseball ends in October.

2. Ice Hockey? Its a distant fourth in terms of sports interest.

3. Basketball? They are going through their own problems and may have a longer lockout.

4. college football? Sure, but they already have their own fan bases. I don't see it drastically increasing. College football is very different from NFL football.

5. Auto racing? Nah.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I hear what you are saying, but fans LOVE football. At that time of the year, what are your sporting options?

1. Baseball. Ok. Sure, in September, but baseball ends in October.

2. Ice Hockey? Its a distant fourth in terms of sports interest.

3. Basketball? They are going through their own problems and may have a longer lockout.

4. college football? Sure, but they already have their own fan bases. I don't see it drastically increasing. College football is very different from NFL football.

5. Auto racing? Nah.
I am sick of the NBA too. We pay high prices supporting them and they don't give a rats behind about you or I.
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2011   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you going to quit the NFL?
Old 05-30-2011   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Are you going to quit the NFL?
I might just do so.
Old 05-30-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I could go with a ten game season.
Old 05-30-2011   #11
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because there is still plenty of money to be made, even if the season is shortened or delayed.

Even with all the propaganda about the fans, and getting the season together for "the fans", it's not about you or me or any of the fans. It's all about the fans money.
Old 05-30-2011   #12
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I could go with a ten game season.
And then the whinging begins regard preparation - a note goes next to the winner as winning the season, which no one could conduct pre-season training etc.

They need to either have it all, or nothing. For me football season is set up with the training camp battles, and rookie reports on who is going to burst onto the scene the next year. If it goes from courtroom to football field in 4 days, I'm just not going to be as into it all.
Old 05-30-2011   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_ROK View Post
Because there is still plenty of money to be made, even if the season is shortened or delayed.

Even with all the propaganda about the fans, and getting the season together for "the fans", it's not about you or me or any of the fans. It's all about the fans money.
Which is exactly why fans ought to start seeing the light.
Old 05-30-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Well....

From the article it sounds more like a "delayed start" vs. a "games missed" thing.

What I find more intriguing than anything is that they are talking about taking out the bye weeks and still playing a full 16 game schedule.

That is interesting because we would still have a whole season, BUT that sounds like it would be kind of taxing on the players.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo..._a.html?page=1

Starting to look more and more like there will be games missed.
The NFL actually revealed their "late season" strategy several weeks ago.

Fans are quickly getting fed up with this entire fiasco, even without suffering the loss of one game yet.

I found the comments of fans (those after this article) are very telling and representative. Take the time to read them VOICE OF THE FANS
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which is exactly why fans ought to start seeing the light.
Ok, but like I said, if fans enjoy "football" where will they focus their attention? Arena Football and the USFL does not have the same quality of play.

So, if you are really a football fan, where do your football $ and attention go?

I figure the players will cave in September, so the season probably starts in October.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Ok, but like I said, if fans enjoy "football" where will they focus their attention? Arena Football and the USFL does not have the same quality of play.

So, if you are really a football fan, where do your football $ and attention go?

I figure the players will cave in September, so the season probably starts in October.
There are plenty of other forms of football I'd watch rather than get crapped on by the NFL like we are now.
Old 05-30-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that something that is not being appreciated as far as the "pulse" of the fans is the fact that here on the MB we are getting the views of the more "hardcore" fan segment. Fans outside of this type of venue are not nearly as likely to keep forcing hemselves to "put up with" this mess...........now or later.........no matter what the outcome.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Screw em ... I'll watch HS and college and find something to do on Sundays . If more folks had this attitude then maybe they'd come to their senses .
Old 05-30-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Screw em ... I'll watch HS and college and find something to do on Sundays . If more folks had this attitude then maybe they'd come to their senses .
Right. Both sides all they do is count us being there once they arrive back to business as usual.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read