Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2005   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 85795 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Open up the play book

Anyone have any thoughts on the playbook being opened up a little more. The Texans seem to get pretty predictable. I know I'm gonna get grilled on the O-line with this one, and I know we ran some gimmick plays, but we also went pretty vanilla for no apparrent reason. I hear Palmer is an offensive whiz....
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Palmer is good (based on his record).. I also feel with the limited talent on this team so far (ol through RB through Wr and lack of TE) it limits what we do... I am not saying Palmer is doing great, but doing OK with improvment needed
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85795 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

This is very true. Seems like a stupid thread now. Seemed like a good idea. I'm new on here and was wanting some interesting ideas from others who follow the Texans.
Old 04-18-2005   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

not stupid.. many times I have seen plays we run that even I know what is coming.. (aka draw play on 3rd down) or the ole.. quick hitch pass. I don't like the play,but I do understand sometimes it is for protection for Carr (given the OL isn't too good)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #5
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I agree we need to open up the playbook more. I mean how many times did we run the end around against the packers? And it didn't work once.
Old 04-18-2005   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
not stupid.. many times I have seen plays we run that even I know what is coming.. (aka draw play on 3rd down) or the ole.. quick hitch pass. I don't like the play,but I do understand sometimes it is for protection for Carr (given the OL isn't too good)
That hitch play is gonna start biting us HARD. I wonder how much you can do with a 3-5 step drop...I think we'll see much improvement this year. I wanna see the Texans start a tradition like the HOGS in Washington. That opens up a whole new world of opportunities.
Old 04-18-2005   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

the problem with opening up the playbook, IMHO, is getting everyone on the same page at the same time. Every season we have added a new WR, or a new O-lineman, or swapped an O-linemans position, or brought in a new scheme with the zone blocking. What I am saying is that this offense has not consistantly fielded 75% of the same players from year to year in their same positions until this upcoming one. Add to that the fact that Carr had to learn the playbook himself before he can start running it effectively. It is actually somewhat promising to think that we might actually have an offense that has played together for most of last season, going into the next season.

I am looking forward to opening up the playbook next season. I think we will dramatically add to the number of plays that our offense has mastered. It is all about WR/QB timing and Defensive reads with Palmer's offense. Carr and our WR's should be significantly improved in both the next season, I hope. Our O-line will have a year of practice at zone blocking TOGETHER, and I see them all getting on the same page next season.

Next season should be an actual indicator of how much our team has progressed with actual NFL starter calibre players having played together for most of a season. In today's NFL you will probably never see a full return of all 22 starters on any team. But returning as many starters as we will be doing next year should definitely improve our ability to play as a cohesive unit, IMHO.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-18-2005   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Couldn't have said it better!!!!!
Old 04-18-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i figure they have gotten confident enough with our offense to give carr more freedom on the field. And we should see more aggressive play calling !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i figure they have gotten confident enough with our offense to give carr more freedom on the field. And we should see more aggressive play calling !
Yep...and my favorite mantra....CONTINUITY ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2005   #11
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
The quick hitch play is a great play. The DB's are concerned about AJ going deep that they line up 10 yards off of the line of scrimage. When they do, and Carr hits AJ on the quick hitch, its an easy 5-10 yards every time.
Davis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis37
The quick hitch play is a great play. The DB's are concerned about AJ going deep that they line up 10 yards off of the line of scrimage. When they do, and Carr hits AJ on the quick hitch, its an easy 5-10 yards every time.
If a DB jumps that route, it's an easy score. All I'm saying is we used it WAY too much last year.
Old 04-19-2005   #13
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
If a DB jumps that route, it's an easy score. All I'm saying is we used it WAY too much last year.
The only time we use that play is when the DB's are lining up deep off of the LOS. Most DB's dont have the balls to try to jump the route and give up the big play to AJ!

Im sure that when we do run the quick hitch, and the DB's are pressing up on AJ, they have a 2nd play called so Carr can audible.
Davis37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #14
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
A good TE will naturally open up the playbook. Joppru? We can dream because the best spot we can draft a TE is 4th round.
Your totally right the TE does open up the play book and as long as we dont have an everydown TE teams are going to pay special attention to A.J and Gaff and we are forced to run run run.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #15
rhc564
Veteran

Default ...amazing

...sorry, folks, but all this talk about what we can or can't do with our
playbook and the players we have makes it sound like the Texans never
have 11 players on the field...4 years!!! You can conceive a child, teach it
to crawl-to walk-to run-to feed itself-to go to the bath room by itself.,etc.
all within 4 years! But, here we are making excuses about why the Texans
need more time---and, the problems/reasons we make excuses about are
a norm in the NFL--every team every year has obstacles/challenges--ain't
going to change! It's all about how you deal with the hand you are dealt...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #16
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

When the game is on the line i think plamer is always jsut to predictable too many times have i been sitin at the games lean over to the guy next to me and say watch there gonna to run it the first two downs and then on 3rd and long try to throw it when our passin game is lacking towards the end of the game and season.....just to predictable
Old 04-19-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Great, another "playbook" thread...Can't we marge all 15 of these threads (exaggeration)? I don't think Capers will allow us to "open up the playbook" unless we're down a lot early, like the Vikings game...Every time we get an early lead, Dom decides to go conservative and play not to lose, as opposed to playing to win...Also, if we choose to go pass heavy, it would likely have to be plays that call for 3 step drops and timing routes since the OL hasn't proven to be capable of consistently holding off a four man rush on 5 step drops...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read