Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-23-2011   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Kevin Walter: Lowest Drop Percentage Since 2008

I actually do not see a glaring need to upgrade at the receiver position when you run the football as much as the Texans be. If a top tier receiver is out there though I would at least consider it. I would work like this defense, special teams, O line and so on and so fourth and also in the exact order.
Old 05-23-2011   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter is what he is .

A very good WR, not one you win a SB with as your # 2 WR.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I actually do not see a glaring need to upgrade at the receiver position when you run the football as much as the Texans be. If a top tier receiver is out there though I would at least consider it. I would work like this defense, special teams, O line and so on and so fourth and also in the exact order.
Despite how successful the Texans were on the ground last season, they were still 19th in rushing attempts and 10th in passing attempts on the season. It's a crazy stat if you think about it (since they did have the league's leading rusher), which makes Foster's performance that more impressive.

I'm pretty sure the Texans crappy defense played a part in that, but I think a Gary Kubiak led offense is always going to be near the top of the league in pass attempts. I don't think this team needs another top tier WR, but I sure would settle for someone with game breaking long speed and consistent hands to help take the top off the defense.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Despite how successful the Texans were on the ground last season, they were still 19th in rushing attempts and 10th in passing attempts on the season. It's a crazy stat if you think about it (since they did have the league's leading rusher), which makes Foster's performance that more impressive.

I'm pretty sure the Texans crappy defense played a part in that, but I think a Gary Kubiak led offense is always going to be near the top of the league in pass attempts. I don't think this team needs another top tier WR, but I sure would settle for someone with game breaking long speed and consistent hands to help take the top off the defense.
They still should run the football some more and maybe carry another RB if they have to but three should keep them all fresh.
Old 05-23-2011   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

^^^^
This

Imagine this team without AJ. Then tell me how good the WR corps looks.

They need a WR with speed if JJ refuses to grow up and realize that the party is over.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

Imagine this team without AJ. Then tell me how good the WR corps looks.

They need a WR with speed if JJ refuses to grow up and realize that the party is over.
I never said that I would not sign a better receiver out there but it probably would just be my third or fourth choice though that's all.
Old 05-23-2011   #27
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They still should run the football some more and maybe carry another RB if they have to but three should keep them all fresh.
You're preaching to the choir Gary. There were a lot of posters who mentioned that last season. (Some people feel Derrick Ward wasn't used enough), but when the defense got as bad as it did, it didn't really matter any more.

Hopefully with a improved defense and a healthy Ben Tate (I hope he recovers and remains healthy) we can become more of a ball control offense, but even in those type of offenses it's good to have that guy who can hit a home run over the top.

I think it would be great if we had another guy who could do that besides Andre. I don't think we have to make a huge investment to get that guy either. Other teams do it all the time with mid round draft picks. I would look at FA for a veteran WR at a reasonable price to add talent and guard against injury next season, then I'd look for someone to develop in the draft. I'm tired of waiting for Jacoby Jones to mature.
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2011   #28
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

LOL, Who the hell knows. Maybe Dorin Dickerson will go "Arian Foster" on us and all of this will be a moot point.
Old 05-23-2011   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL, Who the hell knows. Maybe Dorin Dickerson will go "Arian Foster" on us and all of this will be a moot point.
I'll put it to you this way. Knowing there is Foster and AJ to match two or three other very good RB's. Wouldn't you rather make your defense your number one priority?
Old 05-23-2011   #30
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'll put it to you this way. Knowing there is Foster and AJ to match two or three other very good RB's. Wouldn't you rather make your defense your number one priority?
Yeah, which is why I don't think we need to sign a big name free agent or invest a high draft pick there....but the position still needs some addressing.
Old 05-23-2011   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, which is why I don't think we need to sign a big name free agent or invest a high draft pick there....but the position still needs some addressing.
LOL, I think we are basically posting the same thing here and we pretty much on the same page here.
Old 05-24-2011   #32
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Stand still attitude as in "the offense is fine, if we can address it fine, if not ok". Well They aren't fine IMO. For the last few years we have been putting up big numbers when we fall behind. We have been throwing the ball all around the field trying to play catch up due to slow starts offensively and defensively. Then in clutch moments, we end up falling apart for one reason or another.
Not true. That was the case this past year, but in '09, they often had big leads and fell apart at the end. Most people said it was because they didn't have a running game. Well, in '10 they had a running game and had horrific first halves. It's what's so frustrating about this team - something is missing over there. I just don't happen to believe it's the players (on offense). There have been teams that have gotten to or won the SB with #2 WRs on par or less talented than Kevin Walter. So while I agree with you that things could be upgraded on offense, it is and ought to be a ways down the priority list.

I agree with you about overall depth, but that is generally something that has to be developed within the organization. JJ should have developed into a more dependable WR by now. DA should have developed into the slot guy by now, but they hardly used him. KW was hardly used the first year he was here. They keep drafting TEs, but they hardly use them. We all know James Casey can be an effective piece of the offense, but they have really only used him for blocking. They drafted Garrett Graham because he supposedly has the same skill set as OD. But when have they used him? They're hoping to develop Dorin Dickerson into a WR, but when have they given him even a few snaps here and there? There were losses last year where he could have seen the field for a few plays. There were a couple games at the end of the year when they should have been finding out what they had in guys like Dickerson, Slaton, Graham, that blocking TE (forgot his name), etc.

Anyway, this has sort of strayed from the main topic a bit, but I think it ties in. Kevin Walter is a valuable player on this offense, but he has to be used for something besides blocking (at which he excels). When they throw it to him, he catches it. He converts 3rd downs. No, he's never going to draw anyone away from AJ, but there might be a half dozen WRs in the NFL that would draw coverage away from AJ. Schaub has to make the defense pay for doubling AJ, and last year he didn't seem to start taking those chances until the second half of games.
Old 05-24-2011   #33
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im guessing part of this is that we only seem to throw to him when he's wide open. I'd be curious to see WRs who catch balls that are deemed "uncatchable"

I bet AJ would be top
Old 05-24-2011   #34
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Im guessing part of this is that we only seem to throw to him when he's wide open. I'd be curious to see WRs who catch balls that are deemed "uncatchable"

I bet AJ would be top
I know he's had a ton (too many to name) but this will always be one of my favorites. The man just WILLS himself to make plays. 4th and 10 from our 36 yard line, less than a minute left with us down 28-23 against the Dolphins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Ek-vDVMu0

This one's almost "uncatchable" too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T79A...eature=related
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #35
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Walter is what he is......a slow white guy who disappears at times, and is not very reliable in the red zone.
What does him being white have to do with anything? I assume since every other word in your post is negative being white is a negative. Hmmm....

Not reliable in the red zone? As what, the 5th at best option? He is what he is but damn if you're not gonna expect something more. Yeah, it would be nice if JJ or DD or any other WR (preferably black, I suppose...and with double letter names) would develop their games like they've developed athletic abillity, move Walter inside where his hands, size and blocking ability would shine buuuuuuuttt......

Guess we'll just have to stick with the one guy who lives up to his potential.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Yeah, it would be nice if JJ or DD or any other WR (preferably black, I suppose...and with double letter names) would develop their games like they've developed athletic abillity, move Walter inside where his hands, size and blocking ability would shine buuuuuuuttt......

Guess we'll just have to stick with the one guy who lives up to his potential.
Rep. Athleticism does not equal game. If these superior athletes can't be bothered to improve their route running/work ethic/knowledge of the offense/blocking/whatever, then they aren't as good as people seem to think they are.
Old 05-24-2011   #37
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Love Walter, definitely underappreciated.

Wish we could get Plastic-Ho when he gets out of jail. Management won't go for it though.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Also Andre just barely made it in the Top 15 of this season, while Jacoby Jones on the other hand...
I remember there was a time when most people here had issues with Andre's dropsies....

Look at him now.

Remember, we knew Jacoby was going to develop slower than other prospects.
Old 05-24-2011   #39
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I remember there was a time when most people here had issues with Andre's dropsies....

Look at him now.

Remember, we knew Jacoby was going to develop slower than other prospects.
Andre never had hands or catching issues like Jacoby. The only time I really remember Andre having real problems catching the ball was the start of a season about 4 or 5 years ago. He started the year horrible and had mental lapses looking the ball in (I think two or three would've went for scores). He said he had a talk with himself and asked himself if he really wanted to be a great player, because great players don't drop those kind of passes. Then the guy went on to become only the second player in league history to lead the NFL in catches and yards in consecutive years. So I don't see much of a comparison to Jacoby.

How much more should we really expect Jacoby to develop? His hands aren't going to get any bigger and he's entering his 5th season in the league. We didn't draft him in the 3rd round to sign him up for a 5 year plan, regardless of how small his school was.
Old 05-24-2011   #40
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not true. That was the case this past year, but in '09, they often had big leads and fell apart at the end.
I don't ever recall a year other than '09 that the Texans consistently (or as you put it "often") came out and put up points early in the game and got big leads.

And I know you have to play the schedule that you have, but that '09 schedule was pretty weak.

Any who, I think I agree with the rest of your post. I don't think we are too far off in how we see the offense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read