Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eye of Perfect Storm Mario?

I think all eyes will be on Mario Williams this season. He has been singled out on national television and talk shows in debates on his ability to play OLB. Not only is this a "do or die" for his head coach and maybe GM but is a pendulum for Wade Phillips. Most of us die hard fans are excited about this new to Texans defensive co-ordinator. Every night when I say my "lie me down to sleeps", I pray God be especially good to Mr. Phillips and the 52.

Mario is in final year of contract but faces (if fans are lucky) a year under a new CBA that will reduce salary cap and quite possibly his ability to have one more very lucrative deal. The new defense according to facts as we know, is designed with Mario to get 30 sacks (ok, that is my dreaming) which would allow his agent to say "Pay him Ric".

This is when the storm hits. Will McNair step up as he did with Andre Johnson and Demeco Ryans (and hopefully Vontae Leach)? Or does he tell Smith to Franchise Tag him for a couple of firsts round draft picks? There would be numerous teams lining up to sign a DE/OLB with say 15 sacks this season.

Calm now in the eye of what may be a perfect storm, but the eyes of many will be on Mario Williams. If, that is we have an NFL season.
Old 05-21-2011   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eye of Perfect Storm Mario?

If and when the teams can start work outs, I'm willing to bet Mario will up for this.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

When a CBA is finally reached, Mario will be re-signed to a long term deal. He will not see the franchise tag (if that still exists) or free agency.
Old 05-21-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
When a CBA is finally reached, Mario will be re-signed to a long term deal. He will not see the franchise tag (if that still exists) or free agency.
You base this upon... his history, future potential, McNair wanting to keep a good thing happening like AJ, what?
Old 05-21-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You base this upon... his history, future potential, McNair wanting to keep a good thing happening like AJ, what?
The Texans history. Carr, AJ, DeMeco all were re-signed prior to free agency. The exceptions (Dunta and Owen Daniels) came off injury marred seasons.

Now if Mario has a serious injury (not the nagging types of injuries he's had), then maybe the Texans would tag Mario and play a wait and see approach.

Let me ask you this: On what would you base the Texans allowing Mario to reach free agency?
Old 05-21-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

First I'd be ok with him remaining. I think there will be some major reductions in CBA to please owners & get NFL season started. Not predicting this but could see it happening: Mario has a decent year & wants to test market so he does not allow negotiation this year. Team franchises him, knowing Watt & Smith are DEs, Reed and Barwin are OLB starters and we can get another n 2012 as b/up. If I could get a high first or 1st & something else like a vet, I may have to listen.
Old 05-21-2011   #7
Lucky

Quote:
Not predicting this but could see it happening: Mario has a decent year & wants to test market so he does not allow negotiation this year. Team franchises him...
OK, but if the Texans have to franchise* Mario, he'll get the exclusive franchise tag. Mario will not get to test the market. His agent knows this, and that's why the negotiation never gets that far. Mario will get the extension before the league year is over.

*All this is predicated on the existence of the franchise tag in something of its current form.

Last edited by Lucky; 05-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I don't understand all this talk of letting Mario walk or whatever...

I really don't see that happening.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
OK, but if the Texans have to franchise* Mario, he'll get the exclusive franchise tag. Mario will not get to test the market. His agent knows this, and that's why the negotiation never gets that far. Mario will get the extension before the league year is over.

*All this is predicated on the existence of the franchise tag in something of its current form.
Just a hunch, but I think owners liked being able to tag two players last season and we will see that in new CBA. Here's my next question, if a team wants him, do we negotiate a trade or keep him? A lot will depend I know on how he and Reed, Watt, Barwin etc do, but it would be hard for me to turn down a couple juicy draft picks.
Old 05-21-2011   #10
Lucky

Quote:
Here's my next question, if a team wants him, do we negotiate a trade or keep him?
Depends on whether the Texans are trying to win or continuing to rebuild. Come on, Bob McNair isn't going to trade the one of the top 2 assets he has.
Old 05-21-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think if Mario proves himself in the new system then you have to resign him because you are in win now mode.
Old 05-21-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Depends on whether the Texans are trying to win or continuing to rebuild. Come on, Bob McNair isn't going to trade the one of the top 2 assets he has.
Interesting, I have Schaub, AJ and Foster rated ahead of Mario. I also can see scenario where the other OLB has more sacks than WIlliams, not dissing Williams. Thinking on it, a healthy Ryans if that is possible would probably rate over Mario imo.
Old 05-21-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I think if Mario proves himself in the new system then you have to resign him because you are in win now mode.
If we do't "win now" this next season, a whole bunch of folks will be gone, I can see McNair putting Mario type $ elsewhere if we have a new coach/GM.
Old 05-21-2011   #14
Lucky

Quote:
Thinking on it, a healthy Ryans if that is possible would probably rate over Mario imo.
Not in the opinion of the NFL. If all Texans were free agents, Mario would get the biggest contract.

Who would be trading Mario? If the Texans win in 2011, Smithiak keeps their jobs and Mario is likely a reason why. If the Texans don't win in 2012, the Texans new organization makes the call on Mario. How likely are they to take the Texans job without Mario and rebuild? The premise of dealing Mario is nonsensical.
Old 05-21-2011   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
If we do't "win now" this next season, a whole bunch of folks will be gone, I can see McNair putting Mario type $ elsewhere if we have a new coach/GM.
As long as you have players like Shaub and AJ you should try to win now per say.
Old 05-21-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Ranking the Pass-Rushers
1. DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
2. Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
3. Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts
4. Jared Allen, Minnesota Vikings
5. Tamba Hali, Kansas City Chiefs
6. James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers
7. John Abraham, Atlanta Falcons
8. Julius Peppers, Chicago Bears
9. LaMarr Woodley, Pittsburgh Steelers
10. Cameron Wake, Miami Dolphins
Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...l-pass-rushers

Of course, these selections were by writers not GMs or coaches. I am NOT advocating trading Williams but it would be non-sensical to not consider it.
Old 05-22-2011   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 85564 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit: drunk scooter

Last edited by Scooter; 05-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #18
Lucky

Quote:
I am NOT advocating trading Williams but it would be non-sensical to not consider it.
That list is ridiculous. Aside from possibly Matthews and Ware, none of the players listed above would be more coveted than Mario. Though, they are all good players.

If you're considering trading Mario, then you're considering rebuilding. And you may as well trade AJ and Schaub, while you're at it. Because they will be past their prime by the time the next version of the Texans are ready. The last thing the Texans need is to get younger. What they need is hair on the chest of the players already on the roster.
Old 05-22-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hope that Bob has seen how hard it is to get a pass rusher based on all the attempts we've had and he would pay Mario.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's one scenario where that's actually unlikely to happen: if the Texans have a bad season, that means that Wade is probably the HC next year and that means we will remain a 3-4 team, and in addition, lets say that Wades Mario/OLB experiment is a failure. OK this clearly means that the only way that Mario can get back to his "natural" position as a 4-3 DE where he's an established success (remember, he flopped as a OLB and he doesn't want to play the 5-tech 3-4 DE position), is with another NFL team.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read