Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-18-2005   #1
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot
Default Defense,Defense,Defense

Did I mention Defense? Been reading some of the threads here. I notice some of you are talking about RB`s, O-Line and WR`s. If you like entertainment then by all means build up the Offense but if you want to WIN Super Bowls you have to build up the Defense. If you canít stop the run doesnít matter how great your O is. Just ask the Coltís vs. PATS Playoff game this yr. Peyton should have paid for a ticket in the 3rd Q. The PATS running game kept him on the bench. Texans need D-Line bad! Marcus Spears should be there when Texans pick. Thought Texans would have went for FA Ed Hartwell, LB Ravens or John Abraham DL of Jets too. Just a cpl. of FA`s off the top of my head.
You canít have enough LB`s. They are very versatile. IE:Special Teams. If Texans donít shore up their D. It is going to be a very long season no matter who they pick up on Offense. It would be a BIG mistake to pick a RB or Mike Williams in the 1st round. Next cpl of yrs 1st round picks should be on D-Line.
Old 04-18-2005   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

HAHA...I just started a thread along these same lines. I gotta agree with ya there, man. Good post
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #3
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
HAHA...I just started a thread along these same lines. I gotta agree with ya there, man. Good post

Thanks
Old 04-18-2005   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

We must be the only people on here that isn't up Chris Palmers *** trying to figure out what he's doing wrong. LOL
Old 04-19-2005   #5
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
We must be the only people on here that isn't up Chris Palmers *** trying to figure out what he's doing wrong. LOL
I see
Old 04-19-2005   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

marcus spears is a solid prospect for us as well as rogers and any other defensive player...the draft is just days away...can't wait...enough of the speculations
Old 04-19-2005   #7
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
Thought Texans would have went for FA Ed Hartwell, LB Ravens or John Abraham DL of Jets too. Just a cpl. of FA`s off the top of my head.
I thought the same thing too at the beggining of FA but now Im glad we didnt. I dont think we need another LB thats going to cost us as much as Hartwell would have and we already have plenty of money tied up in the D-line, they are just under-performing. If we can get the line we have to play like we know they can then we should be just fine. Good post though. Nice to see another team's fan post something intelligent and insightful once in a while.
Old 04-19-2005   #8
Daonly
Veteran

Since jets need a corner in the worst way; trade the 13th pick for the 26th pick and Abraham, that'll give us our DL or OLB and then we'll use the 26th on Matt Jones or BPA.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonly
Since jets need a corner in the worst way; trade the 13th pick for the 26th pick and Abraham, that'll give us our DL or OLB and then we'll use the 26th on Matt Jones or BPA.
Supposing the Jets were interested...why would we be interested? Abraham is like the 23 rated DE. Walker and Smith are at 26 and 28 respectively. Not exactly a no brainer. If we could trade Buchanon for a 1st or swap spots given up, it might be a doable trade, but as things stand, this is AWFUL. Age and contract should not be considered. I'll take what the Texans have as oppossed to this scenario.
Old 04-20-2005   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that we have Buchanan.

Im looking at OLB in the 1st. And interior Oline and DL in the 3rd and 4th.

Possibly a trade with Philly for #31 & 35.. that would give us two nice picks to grab an OLB and DL right there.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #11
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Now that we have Buchanan.

Im looking at OLB in the 1st. And interior Oline and DL in the 3rd and 4th.

Possibly a trade with Philly for #31 & 35.. that would give us two nice picks to grab an OLB and DL right there.
Texans need to get Marcus Spears with #13. He is made for 3-4. He can start right away. You can rotate him out with Walker. Walker and Payne are very injury prone. If not Spears use 13th pick Louis Castillo, DT, Northwestern 6'3" 305
this guy has very quick feet for a DT. I think you draft that low in this draft for a DL is going to be work in progress. Doesn`t matter who you have behind the D- Line. You give QB`s time to throw he will pick your D apart! It`s going to be a very long day. I do have to give props to Texans for trying to get OT Pace
Old 04-21-2005   #12
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
I thought the same thing too at the beggining of FA but now Im glad we didnt. I dont think we need another LB thats going to cost us as much as Hartwell would have and we already have plenty of money tied up in the D-line, they are just under-performing. If we can get the line we have to play like we know they can then we should be just fine. Good post though. Nice to see another team's fan post something intelligent and insightful once in a while.
You have a good point on Hartwell. DT Pat Williams would have been a good FA to pick up too. I don`t think they are under performing its the constant injuries the last 2 yrs. Is it time to cut Payne and Walker bring in some younger FA DL`s? Just a thought
Old 04-21-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I would rather we are #10 in offense and #10 in defense than to be #1 in one and #19 in the other.

A poor defense puts pressure on the offense to take chances and make mistakes. A poor offense forces the defense to be on the field too much and gives the opposition's offense too many opportunities.

If we start Wong at LILB and start Peek at ROLB, what do we really need on defense immediately? I want to see what Peek can do. If he goes belly up, then we can draft an OLB next season.

I realize we have spent more 1st day picks on offense, but we also had more of a foundation for our defense (Glenn, Walker, Payne, Coleman, and formerly Sharper) due to the expansion draft. We have now added speed defensively with Buchanon and Greenwood (and even Peek if he starts). We have yet to make an addition on offense. I guess you could count Joppru as a addition, since we have yet to see him.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I realize we have spent more 1st day picks on offense...
I know you said 1st day picks, but just to point something out that folks may not have noticed.

The Texans now have two 1st round picks on offense:
David Carr
Andre Johnson

They have 4 1st round picks on defense:
Dunta Robinson
Jason Babin
Phillip Buchanon
Aaron Glenn

Nothing wrong IMO with grabbing a 1st rounder for the offense this year, whether it be a RB/WR or OL.
Old 04-21-2005   #15
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I would rather we are #10 in offense and #10 in defense than to be #1 in one and #19 in the other.

A poor defense puts pressure on the offense to take chances and make mistakes. A poor offense forces the defense to be on the field too much and gives the opposition's offense too many opportunities.

If we start Wong at LILB and start Peek at ROLB, what do we really need on defense immediately? I want to see what Peek can do. If he goes belly up, then we can draft an OLB next season.

I realize we have spent more 1st day picks on offense, but we also had more of a foundation for our defense (Glenn, Walker, Payne, Coleman, and formerly Sharper) due to the expansion draft. We have now added speed defensively with Buchanon and Greenwood (and even Peek if he starts). We have yet to make an addition on offense. I guess you could count Joppru as a addition, since we have yet to see him.

I agree with being ranked 10 on O and 10 on D. But with salary cap and all that would be hard to do. Also if you have a D that makes TO`s They won`t be on the field much. Now on the other hand if you have a bad O that turns the ball over alot then the D will get tired. Other than O-Line the O is set for the Texans. The O`s problem is MENTAL MISTAKES! Look at history it is always the team with the better D ranking than the better O ranking. EX: Ravens SB yr. Their O was in the lower part of the ranking. PATS 1st 2 SB`s their running game was ranked in the 30`s. They won with their D.To become a dynasty you start with D. If Payne and Walker stay healthy then it will be great! Their bodies have alot of wear and tear on them. It scares me for the Texans this yr on the D-Line
Old 04-21-2005   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I just like the way NE has been able to do more with less.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #17
Algebrat
Rookie

Talking

I have to agree w/ the Capt., and go with D. If Walker or Payne goes down (again), I'm not completely confident in Ione (sp) or whoever else we have sitting. At 13 there is a good chance that either Spears, Ware, or Merriman drops to us. Any of them provide strong depth and potential for an eventual starter. If more than one is there, close your eyes and point...
Algebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Ioane has gotten some considerable playing time in the past and has made some plays for us (the Chiefs game, stopping Priest Holmes at the 1 which led to Marcus Coleman's INT). He, to me is the best one we have after the starting 3 but does anyone feel there are good 3-4 DL in the later rounds?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #19
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Offense, Offense, Offense. We drafted D players last year. They will shine this year. We need O Line men, running back, or a wide out to compliment Johnson.
Old 04-21-2005   #20
66cobra
Veteran

Mike Patterson (USC) is good but he is probably gone by #73, but Sione Pouha (Utah) could be had in 4th-6th round along with Ronald Fields (Miss. St), Atiyyah Ellison (Missouri), Arrion Dixon (Arkansas) and Albert Means (Memphis). They are all DTs.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read