Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-19-2011   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lockout could open TV slots for UFL games

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-for-ufl-games

Quote:
Though the uncertainty of the NFL's labor situation will affect the United Football League in the near future, commissioner Michael Huyghue is pleased with recent developments regarding the league.

The league is in negotiations with several networks for broadcast rights, including Versus and HDNet, which televised UFL games for the past two seasons, as well as CBS Sports, FOX Sports and Turner Broadcasting. The UFL season is expected to begin in August, with games scheduled for Sunday and Monday nights. The commissioner said games will move to Friday and Saturdays in September.

If the NFL lockout remains unsettled by then, the UFL could look to move the games to the open TV slots.

"If that space is open we're going to take it," Huyghue said. "We've been working with our stadiums to keep those dates open."

The UFL released its 2011 schedule earlier this week to the coaching staffs of its five franchises and expects to release it shortly to the public, Huyghue said Wednesday.

Nearly every franchise in the league has struggled financially. The Hartford Colonials, for instance, have yet to settle a $90,000 bill with the State of Connecticut for game expenses last season. The Colonials played four home games last season at 40,000-seat Rentschler Field in East Hartford, which is owned by the state. The sides have yet to agree on terms for a lease for the 2011 season, representatives from the team and the state said this week.

"We want them there -- they're a great asset for the stadium and the area," said Kim Hart, policy development director with the State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management. "[But] we cannot enter into serious discussion until we settle the expenses from last season."

Huyghue remains confident there will be a UFL season in 2011 after battling through financial difficulties over the past several months. He said the UFL settled a federal lawsuit in April filed three months earlier by HDNET LLC, the company owned by Mark Cuban. In April 2010, Cuban agreed to loan the league $5 million with the understanding the amount would be repaid by October.

"We had a shortfall at the end of the season; teams were hesitant to meet their financial commitments," Huyghue said. "Sometime in April they had a plan put in place to pay the notes available."
I think for the UFL to survive another season, besides getting more passionate (and rich) owners, they'll need to land a great TV deal with either Fox Sports or CBS Sports. It is interesting to see CBS Sports the one to put up this article, especially since a few days a go UFL commish Huyghue said a new TV deal is imminent.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lockout could open TV slots for UFL games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-for-ufl-games

I think for the UFL to survive another season, besides getting more passionate (and rich) owners, they'll need to land a great TV deal with either Fox Sports or CBS Sports. It is interesting to see CBS Sports the one to put up this article, especially since a few days a go UFL commish Huyghue said a new TV deal is imminent.
My question is what keeps the current NFL rookies that just got drafted from playing in the UFL? They were drafted but not signed so technically they are out of football and owe the NFL nothing.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #3
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lockout could open TV slots for UFL games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
My question is what keeps the current NFL rookies that just got drafted from playing in the UFL? They were drafted but not signed so technically they are out of football and owe the NFL nothing.
I'd say the risk of injury and the payout (I think $40k is the minimum, with "star" players such as QBs making around $400k) are the two main reasons most rookies won't even consider the UFL. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some rookies that got drafted in the 6th-7th round gave the UFL a shot. I'd love it if some extremely rich people got involved in the league, might knock the NFL & the players down a peg and make them work towards a resolution quicker. But that is just wishful thinking on my part .
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read