Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2011   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the Texans helmets not bad ass???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
IMO the color they use for their helmet looks like someones baby had diarrhea and they took the diaper to home depot to match the color.

And yes I am saying the Brown colors look like baby sh@t brown.

They are the browns, wtf kind of color of brown doesn't look like poop?
Old 05-18-2011   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't like the name at first.

Liked the colors - close to Texas colors.

Really like the logo unless we can get the smoking version we had around here for a while.
Old 05-18-2011   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Browns are the antithesis of the Texans when you think about it.

They are named the "Browns" after Paul Brown, vice president, general manager and head coach of the team. Some say the nic "Brown Bombers" (the plural of boxer Joe Louis' nickname) influenced the public's decision, but regardless, it's a grassroots and location specific name connected to local history. And, of course, Paul Brown is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, often referred to as the "father of the modern offense" for all the significant improvements he brought to the sport. The seeds of the modern NFL go back to Paul Brown. So the name of the team, along with the unassuming style of the bland helmet, actually mean something.

Then we have the Texans, whose entire history is deeply rooted in executive board room decisions heavily influence by modern corporate marketing strategies. While we look at the surface and see gloss and glitz, especially compared to the mundane look of the Browns helmet, the fact of the matter is that the Texans colors, name, and logo are shallow, while the Browns are deep in meaningful history of the league itself.

It is certainly ironic, and I have little doubt that all of this influenced those that made the decisions with this list, as well.
Old 05-18-2011   #44
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I like it too. I just don't think it's anything special or memorable. The Texans colors and uniform design feels like something that a series of focus groups concluded was least likely to alienate any one part of their targeted demographic. Their logo feels to me like something calculated to appeal to fans and says nothing about them, or us, or anything really.

They're bulls but nobody can be "The Bulls" because Chicago already owns that name so much that it's considered taken in any other major sport. We might have been Toros if some focus group somewhere hadn't come back with alarming numbers indicating that a significant number of white Houstonians might take offense to anything that sounded too Mexican.

So we're Texans and incredibly that somehow adds nothing to our identity at all. Maybe that's because we all know that the team settled on that name to try and appeal to as many people in the state as possible.

It's no wonder we rarely do well in things like this. We've only been around a decade and spent most of that sucking and (thankfully) not being televised much outside of our own market.

We were Oilers. We should have stayed Oilers. Update the colors if you want. Update the logo too but the name should have never been allowed to leave this city. We screwed that up bigtime.

LOL, I think some of y'all are reading way too much into their dicision making process. They simply took the Texas flag and colors and made a uniform design and logo. They took things that symbolized the state of Texas and combined it into a team name and uniform.

BTW, I love the team name, logo, and uniform. I just don't like the results, fix the results and then these uniform, logo, yada yada yada will suddenly become more "memorable". They're not memorable, because the Texans haven't done jack shit worth remembering.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #45
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

They are named the "Browns" after Paul Brown, vice president, general manager and head coach of the team. Some say the nic "Brown Bombers" (the plural of boxer Joe Louis' nickname) influenced the public's decision, but regardless, it's a grassroots and location specific name connected to local history. And, of course, Paul Brown is regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, often referred to as the "father of the modern offense" for all the significant improvements he brought to the sport. The seeds of the modern NFL go back to Paul Brown. So the name of the team, along with the unassuming style of the bland helmet, actually mean something.

Then we have the Texans, whose entire history is deeply rooted in executive board room decisions heavily influence by modern corporate marketing strategies. While we look at the surface and see gloss and glitz, especially compared to the mundane look of the Browns helmet, the fact of the matter is that the Texans colors, name, and logo are shallow, while the Browns are deep in meaningful history of the league itself.

It is certainly ironic, and I have little doubt that all of this influenced those that made the decisions with this list, as well.
You don't find calling yourself a Brown bomber to be funniest in least?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #46
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You don't find calling yourself a Brown bomber to be funniest in least?
LOL I thought that too

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #47
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I'm confused - are you talking about the Browns that moved to Baltimore for financial reasons and became the Ravens, or the Browns that took their place and are one of the few teams to have a worse record during the years the Texans have been in the league?
Old 05-18-2011   #48
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the helmets, the name, and the unis. To me, the unis have a simple look to them, I like that. The newer unis that some teams wear kind of look a bit Arena League to me, like the Jags, Broncos, and Falcons just to name a few.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #49
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our helmets, and uniforms overall are awesome.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #50
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, we must be jones'n for some football talk...

Old 05-18-2011   #51
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Man, we must be jones'n for some football talk...

Yep! lol...offseason, plus a lockout makes for bad times.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #52
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

THIS is what I want back.. this was houston and people knew it. I was barely alive for the oilers but man do I love that helmet.

pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #53
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care at all about the Oiler days. Water under the bridge and they don't represent this city. That team would be so easy to replace if our current one would ever get their crap together and figure things out. LOL trust me, Bud Adams and the Oilers didn't set the bar very high.
Old 05-18-2011   #54
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I don't care at all about the Oiler days. Water under the bridge and they don't represent this city. That team would be so easy to replace if our current one would ever get their crap together and figure things out. LOL trust me, Bud Adams and the Oilers didn't set the bar very high.
The team, not the owner, did garner a lot of respect during their glory years. The Oilers were a kick ass team, just couldn't make it over the hump.

Damn Steelers.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #55
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The team, not the owner, did garner a lot of respect during their glory years. The Oilers were a kick ass team, just couldn't make it over the hump.

Damn Steelers.
Yeah, I know all about the "love ya blue days", but even in the highlight of that franchise's glory days.....read the bold.

The bar wasn't set very high, we just need our current team to finally go on some playoff runs.
Old 05-18-2011   #56
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We were Oilers. We should have stayed Oilers. Update the colors if you want. Update the logo too but the name should have never been allowed to leave this city. We screwed that up bigtime.

You must spread some rep...
Old 05-18-2011   #57
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

lol, if we were still named the "Oilers", we'd be the most hated team in the league with today's gas prices.
Old 05-18-2011   #58
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
lol, if we were still named the "Oilers", we'd be the most hated team in the league with today's gas prices.

Old 05-18-2011   #59
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the helmet, color,logo, and uniforms.

Just because the media is not used to seeing our logo everywhere they will be biased towards other teams.

For me:
-Texans
-Steelers
-Chargers
-Seahawks
-Saints
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #60
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
I think our helmets are decent, I would prefer if the used this bull instead with three pin strips: two red with a white down the middle.
I always thought that the helmets without stripes down the middle lacked the classic look. The simplest logo's often look the best. Clean lines and straight ahead simples designs are easy to digest mentally and suitable for something that would withstand the test of time. I am also in the camp that the bull logo looks cartooney, modern and expansion-like.

The colors are logical. They are the colors of the Texas flag. The team is called the "Texans". Why not just run with that? It's so logical it hurts. Same helmet, red stripes spaced with white in the middle or or inverted. Texas flag logo on the side. A rectangle flag. Period. No wavy flag stuff. Just the emblem. End of debate. Championships next on the docket!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read