Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-17-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Linebacker

What do we have at the LB position?

Demeco is our brain, our leader. But we don't know how he will play to start the season. We know he's a baller, we know he is a competitor, & we know his work ethics are top notch. So we expect him to come back & be able to contribute right away.

But what if he doesn't ?

Personally I was not impressed with Kevin Bentley's play. I'm also rather disappointing that he was our best option at the time.

Sharpton played well in spurts. But later when he got more playing time, again I was disappointed.

Cushing.... a firecracker no doubt. But I think he's more of an enforcer than a leader. If Wade is actually aggressive more times than not will Cushing look like the 2009 DROY? Or is the guy we saw in last years neutered bend-but-don't-win-the-game-for-crying-out-loud defense the Cushing you get when he doesn't overtrain?

Diles. I'm still a fan & believe he can play inside, if we need him to. Has he ever played the MIKE? In college or anything?

Stanford Keglar. Who is he?

Of course, OLB has been the talk around here. None of the guys we have projected as OLB has ever played a down as a LB. Barwin & Reed are slotted to play the SLB, with TE responsibilities. Can they hang with Dallas Clark? Mercedes Lewis? I'm finding that hard to believe.

When the TE motions to the weak side, late in the count, what are we going to do? Is Mario going to adjust & count for the TE? Will the secondary roll & one of the twin safeties going to come down & cover the TE? & do we want Quin or Shiloh or Nolan on guys like Witten & Shockey?

Is it just me, or do we have a too many questions at the LB position?
Old 05-17-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Linebacker

Diles is no longer with the team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've reviewed a bunch of Cowboys games.
I've also reviewed at least a couple games of the defenses that Wade was a part of: The Eagles, Broncos, Bills, and Chargers.
I'm trying to see if I can get a Falcons game or two.

Im hoping to start a thread to give a glimpse of Wade's defense throughout the years.

A few interesting things that people might not expect will come up.
I'll start in a couple of days, maybe sooner.
Maybe I'll just do it a little at a time.

It should answer some questions that people have.
Old 05-17-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What do we have at the LB position?

Demeco is our brain, our leader. But we don't know how he will play to start the season. We know he's a baller, we know he is a competitor, & we know his work ethics are top notch. So we expect him to come back & be able to contribute right away.

But what if he doesn't ?

Personally I was not impressed with Kevin Bentley's play. I'm also rather disappointing that he was our best option at the time.

Sharpton played well in spurts. But later when he got more playing time, again I was disappointed.

Cushing.... a firecracker no doubt. But I think he's more of an enforcer than a leader. If Wade is actually aggressive more times than not will Cushing look like the 2009 DROY? Or is the guy we saw in last years neutered bend-but-don't-win-the-game-for-crying-out-loud defense the Cushing you get when he doesn't overtrain?

Stanford Keglar. Who is he?
IMO, Bentley played OK last year. He can be good depth if the Texans resign him.

Sharpton played well for a rookie.
He's familiar with Wade's pattern-matching coverage scheme.
He can spell Demeco; and if he continues to improve, I think he can become a solid player.

Cushing also had a solid season; it wasn't spectacular, but it was good.
You may have been enamored with the Ints he collected in his rookie year; I must remind you that he was in the right place at the right time on a few of those.

The two guys I was disappointed with were Diles and Adibi.
They were inconsistent, especially in pass coverage.
Old 05-17-2011   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Of course, OLB has been the talk around here. None of the guys we have projected as OLB has ever played a down as a LB. Barwin & Reed are slotted to play the SLB, with TE responsibilities.
Barwin, Mario, Adibi, and Nading have played quite a bit at 3-4 OLB for us.
Reed played about a dozen snaps at OLB (in 2 different games)
Watts had seen more time at OLB than Reed (this guy is really versatile; he played NT, DT, DE, OLB in both the 4-3 and 3-4).

If we resign Anderson, we will have another guy that have seen time as OLB.

And when I get to the Bills' games, you will see that the transition to 3-4 wasn't difficult for them.
Old 05-17-2011   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Barwin & Reed are slotted to play the SLB, with TE responsibilities. Can they hang with Dallas Clark? Mercedes Lewis? I'm finding that hard to believe.

When the TE motions to the weak side, late in the count, what are we going to do? Is Mario going to adjust & count for the TE? Will the secondary roll & one of the twin safeties going to come down & cover the TE? & do we want Quin or Shiloh or Nolan on guys like Witten & Shockey?

Is it just me, or do we have a too many questions at the LB position?
In the 3-4, the ILBs normally have responsibilities for the TE (just like Demeco and Cushing in our nickel 4-2).
Obviously, one of the safety can also get the assignment, as well as a nickle back.
You might see the OLB dropping back some; however, they will just defending some short routes or a short area in the zone (either spot drop or pattern match-up - Wade soes use some spot-drop, but not very much) or they will be in double-coverage/bracket type.
Old 05-17-2011   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course, OLB has been the talk around here. None of the guys we have projected as OLB has ever played a down as a LB. Barwin & Reed are slotted to play the SLB, with TE responsibilities. Can they hang with Dallas Clark? Mercedes Lewis? I'm finding that hard to believe.
Well, I'm sure both of them can play a little TE if need be, otherwise why would Gary have let them be drafted. I doubt either one is going to be as good as Dallas Clark or Mercedes Lewis though. Not without changing positions full time and a lot of work
Old 05-17-2011   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am actually less worried about our OLBs than I am about our ILBs. Bentley is getting older, and has been an average starter at best. Ryans was a very good ILB (I would not say star, but certainly one of the better ones in the league), but I believe CND said only 15% of athletes return from Achilles tendon injuries at their prior form. Sharpton did ok for a rookie, but did nothing for me to get all excited about.

ILB has to be on the list for upgrades sometimes soon, whether in this FA, a trade during the season, and at the very least during the 2012 draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #9
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

So was DeMecos injury more severe than Barwins, and is he also less likely to fully recover than Barwin ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
So was DeMecos injury more severe than Barwins, and is he also less likely to fully recover than Barwin ?
Yes on both counts.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #11
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dr. Kenneth First shares his opinion on our LBs, its near the latter end of this podcast, nuttin really new just an update

http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/...6WJ_3.MP3?dl=1
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #12
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

We definitely need to get some quality depth at LB, especially on the inside spots. We have a few outside rushers but if even one goes down then we are thin. On the inside we really only have Demeco and Cush, Bently shouldnt be out #1 back up. He needs to be what he is if he stays, our special teams captain and last option back up.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Without that ROAD GRADER in the middle, my take is that you can do a -1 to the expected performance of any of our LBs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Without that ROAD GRADER in the middle, my take is that you can do a -1 to the expected performance of any of our LBs.
You haven't been reading the in this, have you? The light, quick NT is going to raise such a ruckus by shooting the gaps and getting to the ball that OG's and C's aren't going to have time to get to our LB's. You gotta read the . It's all in the . Yes, I like the smiley.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #15
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You haven't been reading the in this, have you? The light, quick NT is going to raise such a ruckus by shooting the gaps and getting to the ball that OG's and C's aren't going to have time to get to our LB's. You gotta read the . It's all in the . Yes, I like the smiley.
You've got it right. Its a 'Damned if you do, damned if you dont' situation. If you single block the nose and ends to send a man up to the second level then one them gets through to the QB. If you double the down linemen then you leave gaps for the linebackers to get through. If it is a run then you have a man in every gap no matter what.
Old 07-18-2011   #16
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like DeMeco is ready for full participation

via twitter:
DRyans59 DeMeco Ryans
God is Great!! Just left the Dr., and I'm all cleared to play this yr!!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Looks like DeMeco is ready for full participation

via twitter:
DRyans59 DeMeco Ryans
God is Great!! Just left the Dr., and I'm all cleared to play this yr!!
Cleared to play but at what level? Most players with an achilles injury are slower/less explosive upon their return.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #18
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Cleared to play but at what level? Most players with an achilles injury are slower/less explosive upon their return.
We can only wait and hope.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #19
Clamp
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
All football players are athletes, but I always got the impression that Demeco's game was so good bc he got himself in the right position and was good at reading plays and doing it quickly.

If that is the case then even of he is limited somewhat physically, if he can still do those things then he will still be productive. Its more on the stretch plays were he has to run sideline to sideline, and on harder coverage situations that he may be a little exposed.
Old 07-18-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
All football players are athletes, but I always got the impression that Demeco's game was so good bc he got himself in the right position and was good at reading plays and doing it quickly.

If that is the case then even of he is limited somewhat physically, if he can still do those things then he will still be productive. Its more on the stretch plays were he has to run sideline to sideline, and on harder coverage situations that he may be a little exposed.
The biggest thing IIRC is usually the trust they have on the repair. They are usually tentative to plant & explode because they are afraid of damaging it again.

Kinda like OD, when he came back from his ACL, he thought he was good to play, but he didn't play at the same level we were expecting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read