Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-16-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Asomugha and Houston all about money

From ESPN:

Quote:
Asomugha and Houston all about money
May, 16, 2011 May

By Paul Kuharsky

Routinely, when asked about the Houston Texans making the playoffs, I say I will pick it to happen the year after it finally happens.

There is one thing that might change my stance there.

If Texans owner Bob McNair opened his vault and landed cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha when free agency arrives, I think it would be a transformative move for the franchise.

The top free agent can often fall through. But Asomugha is more of a sure thing than most. He’d bump every cornerback the team has down a peg, he’d make bad or average safeties better, he’d hold up if the pass rush continues to take too long to force the quarterback to throw and he'd make many teams simply avoid the guy he covers.

I don’t think Houston will be bold enough to make it happen, and I suspect some other team will jump out and overwhelm the free-agent prize.

I do not, however, enter as a factor the idea that Asomugha wouldn’t go to Houston because he wants to join a winner. I believe he’ll do like most guys and go where the money is, and I believe he’d believe Houston can be a serious contender with his services.

John Clayton [Click on this link] makes the Houston argument in the Hot Button debate on Asomugha’s ultimate landing spot and it’s a good one.

It’s all about McNair’s willingness to spend.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Asomugha and Houston all about money

You know, teams are not allowed to talk the players right now. But there isn't anything stopping John Clayton from talking to the players or the agent. Instead of writing bullshit like this, why don't he talk to Asomugha & find out if anyone talked to him that one day the stay was lifted, or what he would consider his ideal situation, or if Houston is even a consideration.

We won't be the only team offering Nmandi money, & if a chance to play for a championship is one of his requirements, we can drop this right now.
Old 05-16-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=CloakNNNdagger;1699969]From ESPN:[/QUOTE ]I like it because have been saying the same thing for years. Most probabky remember the trade suggestions I have made in the past. Go get him!

Old 05-16-2011   #4
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I'm against going over the Cap even for sure things, I really think it would send a message and I hope we try like hell (See Avatar). Hell it would sure fire up the fan base. McNair would sell about 100,000 Jerseys the first week!!!!!

Aren't Aso and Dre good friends, come on Dre get him to sign!!!!!!!!

Aso strikes me as a guy who will have plenty of good years left in him even if he's 30. If they can strike a deal, combined with Wade coming in I think this team would finally have the confidence to feel like they could take anyone on every Sunday with out wondering if the Offense comes out of the gate hot.

If I was still lucky enough to live in Houston, I'd be holding a picket sign in front of Reliant every night until FA ends. (When ever it finally starts!!!)
Old 05-16-2011   #5
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

sign aso and cromartie!!!! CHAMPIONSHIIIPPPP hahahha
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, how successfully do DBs make transitions?

Remember when nate clements was expected to be the next best thing? Is he doing well in SF? (Im curious, I dont know)

Sometimes FAs are products of a system. I'm worried about breaking the bank if he doesn't perform
Old 05-16-2011   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

We won't be the only team offering Nmandi money, & if a chance to play for a championship is one of his requirements, we can drop this right now.
No they wont be the only team to make him an offer , but if you fix the back end of this defense you have a team that can win it all .... and signing Aso does just that , fixes the back end while making the rest of the guys around him better.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2011   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know, teams are not allowed to talk the players right now. But there isn't anything stopping John Clayton from talking to the players or the agent. Instead of writing bullshit like this, why don't he talk to Asomugha & find out if anyone talked to him that one day the stay was lifted, or what he would consider his ideal situation, or if Houston is even a consideration.

The highest profile FA's of 2009 & 2010 were Albert Haynesworth and Julius Peppers respectively. Neither the Redskins, nor the Bears had finished above .500 the previous season. Washingon's cumulative record the three seasons prior to Haynesworth signing was 22-26. Chicago's was 23-28 (just like the Texans currently).

I'm guessing that teams more likely to play for a championship were interested in their services, but they both ended up with teams very few people considered serious contenders.
Old 05-16-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Remember when nate clements was expected to be the next best thing? Is he doing well in SF? (Im curious, I dont know)

Sometimes FAs are products of a system. I'm worried about breaking the bank if he doesn't perform
Not exactly. A lot of people were talking about Clements & Samuel raping desperate teams.

They are/were about as good as Cromartie, not worth the money they got. Like Dunta, he's not a bad corner.... maybe even above average. But not worth elite money.

FA gets teams in a bad situation. When the market is weak, weak teams get desperate and over spend, which puts them into the a tail spin that is difficult to get out of.... look at San Fran.

FA is almost as bad as the draft. Even if you're average, if you are the best thing on the market, you get paid like a future hall of famer.... look at Winslow in TB.

If the best FA on the market is a LB, or a Safety, or a WR (Steve Smith) I'd rather put my money there, than in an overpriced Corner.

Speaking of Cromartie.

Aso is worth the money, so is Joseph.. & the argument can be made for Grimes. Other than that, I would pass on the "next best CB"
Old 05-16-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The highest profile FA's of 2009 & 2010 were Albert Haynesworth and Julius Peppers respectively. Neither the Redskins, nor the Bears had finished above .500 the previous season. Washingon's cumulative record the three seasons prior to Haynesworth signing was 22-26. Chicago's was 23-28 (just like the Texans currently).

I'm guessing that teams more likely to play for a championship were interested in their services, but they both ended up with teams very few people considered serious contenders.
I don't think so. Haynesworth wasn't going anywhere but Washington. Everybody else knew he was in it for the money. Playing his ass off in a contract year.... always finding a reason to not be on the field otherwise.

Peppers was on the downside of his career.

Neither situation compares to Nmandi. Nmandi is only going to get better over the next 5 years or so & he's played lights out from day one.
Old 05-16-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Peppers did great last season for being on the downside of his career.
Old 05-16-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Peppers did great last season for being on the downside of his career.
He sure did. Chicago rolled the dice & it worked out for them.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Who else was bidding for the services of Julius Peppers?
Old 05-16-2011   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He sure did. Chicago rolled the dice & it worked out for them.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Who else was bidding for the services of Julius Peppers?
He also had double-digit sacks and pro-bowl appearances in the two seasons immediately preceding his signing with Chicago.
Old 05-16-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
He also had double-digit sacks and pro-bowl appearances in the two seasons immediately preceding his signing with Chicago.
Didn't he sign a seven year deal?
Old 05-16-2011   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Samuel has been good on the Eagles since he left the Pats. Bailey was pretty good in Denver and I know Woodson has been alright on the Packers. Deon was good everywhere he went (except the last place, I forget which team that was).

I think Aso would be good just because he's been good for years, and the Raiders front 7 isn't exactly a QB pressure machine. Not saying it's a for sure thing, but it's about as close as you can get.
Old 05-16-2011   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Samuel has been good on the Eagles since he left the Pats. Bailey was pretty good in Denver and I know Woodson has been alright on the Packers. Deon was good everywhere he went (except the last place, I forget which team that was).

I think Aso would be good just because he's been good for years, and the Raiders front 7 isn't exactly a QB pressure machine. Not saying it's a for sure thing, but it's about as close as you can get.
I think the Ravens were the last team for Deon six years ago.
Old 05-16-2011   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not saying it's a for sure thing...
Then I'll say it. Nnamdi Asomugha is a sure thing. And there's a lot of smoke concerning Nnamdi and Houston.

Quote:
Whenever the lockout ends, Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha is going to be the No. 1 free agent on the market. It's not often the league's second-best shutdown corner, in his prime, reaches the open market. It's going to be awfully tough for the Jets to pay Asomugha market value after signing Darrelle Revis last year, but it would be impossible to throw on the Jets if they were able to pair them. Even if 2011 is a year without a salary cap, the cap will likely return in 2012. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is a creative guy, so he has to at least look into it. Rumors are the Eagles, Patriots and Texans will make a push for Asomugha…

Will the Texans have to offer Asomugha more $$$ than any other team? Yes. And I don't have a problem with that. The players in the most demand should earn the most money.
Old 05-16-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Then I'll say it. Nnamdi Asomugha is a sure thing. And there's a lot of smoke concerning Nnamdi and Houston.

Will the Texans have to offer Asomugha more $$$ than any other team? Yes. And I don't have a problem with that. The players in the most demand should earn the most money.
[/color][/left]
Exactly.
Old 05-16-2011   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard to imagine Bob outbidding Jerry. I'll have to see it to believe it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

At some point in his life, McNair had to spend money to make money. Hopefully, Phillips can sell Aso or Cromartie through to pry that wallet open.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read