Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-13-2011   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Greed Never Ends.

"In the more desirable seats at Yankee Stadium, an already pricey $10.50 draft beer will run you an eye-popping $12.60 thanks to an involuntary 20 percent "service fee" tacked on to the original price. If the sticker shock doesn’t make that brew bitter enough, consider this: Despite what you might expect, that extra $2 and change isn't going to the hustling server who sold it to you, according to a new lawsuit.
Legends Hospitality, the concessionaire co-owned by the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys, and Goldman Sachs, allegedly pockets the 20 percent service fee attached to food and drink in violation of New York law, according to a class-action lawsuit filed against the company by three Yankee Stadium servers this week. If certified as class action, the suit could involve more than a hundred servers and hundreds of thousands of dollars in claims."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...3_lnk2%7C62961

Old 05-13-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Greed Never Ends.

To me, this is the most egregious part of the article

Quote:
Schaffer believes the system cheats both vendors and fans -- the vendors by withholding their tips, the fans by artificially inflating prices. "It's pretty unbelievable if you think about what's going on," Schaffer said. "Honestly, I couldn't fathom the profits."

What's worse, Schaffer alleges, is the fact that the servers aren't allowed to explain to fans how the actual arrangement works. "If my clients are specifically asked, 'Where does this 20 percent go?' they can't tell them the truth. They can only tell the customer, 'Additional gratuity is at your discretion.' They can't say, 'It's not going to me.' They can be fired for saying that."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Some interesting facts about Jerry Jones and Legends Hospitality (the entire article is worth reading).

How Cowboys owner Jerry Jones found a way to profit on the Super Bowl

Quote:
Long term, the biggest potential payoff for the Cowboys owner could come if his stadium — and, therefore, Legends Hospitality Management, the stadium’s concessionaire — is picked to host the Super Bowl on a regular basis.

“Having that sort of revenue and profit boost every four to five years increases the value of the company significantly,” said Mike Rawlings , chief executive of Legends.

Jones owns about a third of Legends, giving him a large interest in the company’s market value and profits, including from the Super Bowl.

Concessions
Rawlings expects Super Sunday sales of food and beverages at the stadium to approach $5 million or more. Proceeds will be divided between the NFL and Legends. During the regular season, Legends splits revenue with the Cowboys.

Rawlings wouldn’t reveal that split, but typical agreements can give teams 35 percent to 50 percent of revenue, depending upon the category of item sold.

The concessions company was founded two years ago in partnership with the Steinbrenner family, owner of the New York Yankees , two investment firms and the Jones family.

Legends’ annual revenue is at least $150 million, Rawlings said. If the company continues its rapid growth, the enterprise has the potential to be worth several hundred million dollars, based on a comparison with a competitor, Centerplate , which was once publicly held.

Asked in a brief interview after his news conference if he agreed with The Dallas Morning News’ analysis of the potential valuation for Legends, Jones said, “Yes.”

For regular-season games, Legends also handles merchandise sales at Cowboys Stadium. But the NFL brings in a separate company for the Super Bowl.
I can see where you might pick up an additional couple of nickels if you swindle people out of an added on 20% of the take.
Old 05-13-2011   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Stuff like this, and of course the price of everything, is why I don't go to games anymore. I can get two six packs for less than the price of one beer, my bathrooms are cleaner than the stadium bathrooms, and don't require walking a mile to get to them.

This whole thing is out of control and I choose not to participate in an obvious scam.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Stuff like this, and of course the price of everything, is why I don't go to games anymore. I can get two six packs for less than the price of one beer, my bathrooms are cleaner than the stadium bathrooms, and don't require walking a mile to get to them.

This whole thing is out of control and I choose not to participate in an obvious scam.
Thorn while I agree with you 100%, you still pay even if you don't go to the game. You and I pay in the added cost of batteries, razors, beer, cars and trucks, soda, insurance, underwear, etc... We pay in the added cost of every product that advertises at the stadium or on t.v. The money that's paid to Bob McNair by advertisers is passed onto the consumer, so we still pay.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Thorn while I agree with you 100%, you still pay even if you don't go to the game. You and I pay in the added cost of batteries, razors, beer, cars and trucks, soda, insurance, underwear, etc... We pay in the added cost of every product that advertises at the stadium or on t.v. The money that's paid to Bob McNair by advertisers is passed onto the consumer, so we still pay.
Yes but that's easier to take in than getting outright raped when you want to go purchase a beer at the stadium. I don't go to Texans games that often because I have to be sober for them, whereas at my house beers are a buck a piece!
Old 05-14-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yes but that's easier to take in than getting outright raped when you want to go purchase a beer at the stadium. I don't go to Texans games that often because I have to be sober for them, whereas at my house beers are a buck a piece!
Watching the Texans last year required something to kill the pain. Prescirption pain meds would be cheaper.
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2011   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Watching the Texans last year required something to kill the pain. Prescirption pain meds would be cheaper.
Are you handing out prescriptions? LOL

Old 05-14-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you handing out prescriptions? LOL
Just for you, Thorn

http://img827.imageshack.us/i/imagevwq.jpg/
Old 05-14-2011   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Ya think CVS would accept that? LOL

of course I have no ID with Thorn on it, that could be a problem. I guess I'll have to stick to beer.

Old 05-16-2011   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats the beauty of NFL Football. Even if you got o EVERY home game that year, its only 8-10 games. Alot easier to swallow when paying $8 per beer, than 80 home games in baseball.

Of course the beer is free at my casa.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298214 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's why you should check out a Houston Stallions game. You could spend a total of $14 on the ticket, soda, and hot dog...and watch a Houston football team that actually goes to the playoffs at that!
Old 05-16-2011   #13
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you take a trade for one of those? I have some jerseys that I could send your way...

Sincerely,

SWTbound07
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Would you take a trade for one of those? I have some jerseys that I could send your way...

Sincerely,

SWTbound07
I'll gladly give you a script Tuesday for a Jersey today?

More sincerely,

Wimpy
Old 05-16-2011   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're getting screwed regardless. Let me explain, if you go to the game, not only are you getting fianancially pickled by the ridiculous costs of food & beverages but you've also purchased a front row seat to have your vision assaulted having to watch bad football for the last 9 years with our home town boys..

If you stay at home, you escape the fiancial raping, but you're still getting bent over by having to watch the texans on TV....it's a no win situation.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
You're getting screwed regardless. Let me explain, if you go to the game, not only are you getting fianancially pickled by the ridiculous costs of food & beverages but you've also purchased a front row seat to have your vision assaulted having to watch bad football for the last 9 years with our home town boys..

If you stay at home, you escape the fiancial raping, but you're still getting bent over by having to watch the texans on TV....it's a no win situation.
Quit suffering! Use protection!
Old 05-16-2011   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

What Texan fans need is prophylactics for their eyes.

Old 05-17-2011   #18
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What Texan fans need is prophylactics for their eyes.
It is called the "OFF" button on the tv remote.
Old 05-17-2011   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
That's why you should check out a Houston Stallions game. You could spend a total of $14 on the ticket, soda, and hot dog...and watch a Houston football team that actually goes to the playoffs at that!
Honestly, I'd rather watch Pearland Oilers this year. I imagine tickets would be cheaper too, and hey, don't have to worry about how much beer costs!
Old 05-18-2011   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Honestly, I'd rather watch Pearland Oilers this year. I imagine tickets would be cheaper too, and hey, don't have to worry about how much beer costs!
How is Pearland Oilers doing these days? I graduated from Pearland HS in 1969, but haven't kept up with anything in Pearland since.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read