Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-18-2005   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What Draft decision would make you mad!!

Okay, we all talked about the possibilities of the things the Texans might do on draft day. Move up to get DJ, trade down and get Barron, stay put and see what falls in our lap...etc.

My question is who would you not want the Texans to get and what decision would they have to make to make your draft day suck lemons?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont want us to draft another tweener like ware or one of the cody's. other than that im fine w/anybody except a rb or a qb.

My top two: Marcus Spears and Matt jones in that order.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing really gets me mad when it comes to a teamís draft. I think that is foolish to watch guys beat up College kids and think it automatically extrapolates to whipping NFL guys. I don't tend to be too critical of any draft until I see the prospects on the field with other NFL talents. Also, we don't see Medical histories, rap sheets or background checks so some guys will just slip for no apparent reason to the fans but may be a total thug, have a serious medical problem or be a risk of some sort.

I'm big on Ware btw (and a few others). I hope we take him if he is there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm big on Ware btw (and a few others). I hope we take him if he is there.
Why do you think Babin was so much more productive than Ware in College?

The one pick that would make me mad is Fred Gibson. Don't draft anyone who would sell their Super Bowl ring.
Old 04-18-2005   #5
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Last season I got kind of upset when we drafted Dunta, and we see what happened there - I'm sure I'll have some level of disappointment if we don't draft guys I like but my perspective of what I think is talent is far different than how the scouts view them.

Also I flop around way too much before the draft to really get upset, so at some point hopefully that means someone I liked at one time will get drafted.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wouldn't be too ticked of any of the people we draft but would be very disappointed if DJ was on the board and we let him go.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #7
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Personally I think Jets fans are the ones who are dissappointed. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.
Old 04-18-2005   #8
cadahnic
All Pro

I would be pissed if we came back into the first round and drafted someone like Matt Jones. I also would hate it if we picked Alex Barron with the 13th pick, because he is not an upgrade in anyway.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Why do you think Babin was so much more productive than Ware in College?
I just think elite level ROLB edge rushers in 3-4 systems are rare. We have been in the league 4 years now and are still trying to find someone who can play the position. Peek has been here 3 years now and has 3 career sacks and has not shown enough in practice to get more field time. I think it would not hurt to be deep at this VERY important position. Gosslin was comparing him to the late Chief great, Derrick Thomas on the radio.

Old 04-18-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

Come on Vinny, Ware is not even Close to D.T. You are like me I suppose and a decent historian of the game. You dont compare guys to hall of famers you know better. Ware is very good and I like to compare him to another very good OLB in Lavar Arrington. The kid is uncontrolled madness and will get to the QB if he had to go through his mom to do it. I like Ware and he would be a sweet pick for us if DJ is unattainable or Carlos Rogers gets taken early.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Gosselin was stating that is what he was hearing from NFL scouts. Gosselin doesn't pretend to scout, but he passes on info from his NFL contacts. We will see soon enough.

Old 04-18-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be really disappointed if we were to trade up in order to get a guy like Barron who would likely slide to 13 anyway...This team can be upgraded at so many positions that it would be foolish to criticize our first round pick...If we make a pick that I'd not too keen on, I'll simply chalk it up to being part of the bigger plan and file it under the "Have Faith in Cass" folder in my file cabinet...So far, he hasn't disappointed ...
Old 04-18-2005   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

drafting Benson or Barron with #13
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #14
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
drafting Benson or Barron with #13
I could live with Benson but Barron will only make our O-Line more of a laughing stock.

JUST SAY NO TO BARRON
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Drafting Ware wouldnt be a high point for me.

I dont think our OLB situation deserves 1st round help.

I will be happy with one of the big 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 3 CB's, DJ, and Thomas Davis.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
I could live with Benson but Barron will only make our O-Line more of a laughing stock.

JUST SAY NO TO BARRON
How would he make the line more of a laughing stock? I guess Barron is the guy everyone loves to hate this year...
Old 04-18-2005   #17
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
My top two: Marcus Spears and Matt jones in that order.
Ding! Ding!
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #18
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
How would he make the line more of a laughing stock? I guess Barron is the guy everyone loves to hate this year...
Maybe "more of a laughing stock" was the wrong way to put it, but Barron is just not that good and would have no shot at starting or even playing meaningful minutes next year for us and then when you consider there should be a high talent level of offensive tackles coming out next year and we could pick one up one of them if the line does not improve this year. Also if we end up getting a guy like Baas would you really want in two years to have basically first year starters on the O-Line at LT and C look out David Carr.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
Maybe "more of a laughing stock" was the wrong way to put it, but Barron is just not that good and would have no shot at starting or even playing meaningful minutes next year for us and then when you consider there should be a high talent level of offensive tackles coming out next year and we could pick one up one of them if the line does not improve this year. Also if we end up getting a guy like Baas would you really want in two years to have basically first year starters on the O-Line at LT and C look out David Carr.
If we draft Barron and Baas and feel they give us the best chance to win, they'll be on the field...I don't really think starting a "second year rookie" or two on the O-Line is a bad thing if they're better than what we have...I have already stated that the 06 OT class will be infinitely better than this one, but if Wand fails as a starter here, then would you feel comfortable starting Garrick Jones at LT?
Old 04-18-2005   #20
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing about Barron is that he may not have real passion for the game. You know? He may take a play off here and there and that can be very very costly for us. I wouldn't mind taking Barron if we could be sure that he's really passionate for the game. He seems to have all the physical attributes but what often seperates the good ones from the bad ones is intensity and passion for the game. At this level physically everyone is on the same level except a few here and there. So you got to have a desire to play and from what I've read everywhere he seems to lack that. And we cannot have a player playing the LT position if he's not going to be very passionate about the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read