Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2011   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are Texans players in organized workouts/practices???

I'm reading about players from many league teams in organized workouts: Pats, Saints, Jets, etc.

Have not seen anything saying Texans are doing the same?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #2
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are Texans players in organized workouts/practices???

Awhile ago there was an article about Schaub organizing the workouts and back when the lockout was lifted and players were "allowed" to workout at the facilities, I remember another article saying that while a few people came to Reliant or wherever they workout that most of the others continued to workout with each other at their designated site

Here's an article: They are working out at Rice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ice-university
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #3
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to say the Texans were the first to organize workouts but it wasn't really reported on NFLN as they are now for the higher profile teams. Texans get no respect but untill they start winning, what else can you expect?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I get the impression that these workouts at Rice involve just offensive
personnel ? I think I read that DeMeco Ryans, the unquestioned leader of the defense, is doing his rehab for last years season-ending injury back home in Alabama and without him there's really no one to organize and lead the defensive guys in workouts like Schaub and the offense are doing ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I get the impression that these workouts at Rice involve just offensive
personnel ? I think I read that DeMeco Ryans, the unquestioned leader of the defense, is doing his rehab for last years season-ending injury back home in Alabama and without him there's really no one to organize and lead the defensive guys in workouts like Schaub and the offense are doing ?
I wish MW would stand up and take charge if this is the case. He's supposed to be our best defensive play. I'm glad Cushing hasn't. He might "over train" again.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I want to say the Texans were the first to organize workouts but it wasn't really reported on NFLN as they are now for the higher profile teams. Texans get no respect but untill they start winning, what else can you expect?
Alot of teams did it around the same time. It isn't about respect, just that is what alot of teams did. Romo has had the Cowboys working out daily. He organizes and has at least 40 players a day showing up. Many teams are and have been doing the same.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 05-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wish MW would stand up and take charge if this is the case. He's supposed to be our best defensive play. I'm glad Cushing hasn't. He might "over train" again.
I don't think Mario is the type who's inclined to lead in spite of his abilities and value to the defense, and I'm of the opinion that Cushing is not popular enough/held in high enough regard by his teammats to effectively lead them.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Practice? Practice? It is only Practice and we don't need Practice!
Old 05-12-2011   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

While I think it's better than nothing, and I'd be concerned if my team wasn't doing these self-organized workouts, I don't think a player organized practice can come close to the value of what they'd be getting in OTA's and mini-camps.

Does anyone know of an instance where a group of players has hired retired or unemployed NFL coaches to manage and oversee these workouts? I think this would be far more effective than anything these guys can do on their own - regardless of what team we're talking about.
Old 05-12-2011   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
While I think it's better than nothing, and I'd be concerned if my team wasn't doing these self-organized workouts, I don't think a player organized practice can come close to the value of what they'd be getting in OTA's and mini-camps.

Does anyone know of an instance where a group of players has hired retired or unemployed NFL coaches to manage and oversee these workouts? I think this would be far more effective than anything these guys can do on their own - regardless of what team we're talking about.

Good idea. Maybe the D can convince $ Bum to come watch a few practices.

Old 05-12-2011   #11
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I don't think Mario is the type who's inclined to lead in spite of his abilities and value to the defense, and I'm of the opinion that Cushing is not popular enough/held in high enough regard by his teammats to effectively lead them.
Could this be just one of the problems of this team on defense. There is no leader. Just a bunch of individuals playing. You hope Wade brings this to the defense, but they still need some team leaders.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read