Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-11-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Giants NT Cofield May Hit Market

Alot of teams would clamor for this guy in the middle

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Quote:

Free agent NT Barry Cofield believes his "time's probably up" with the Giants after the addition of second-round DT Marvin Austin.

"I don't feel pressure, uptightness or anger when they draft a guy," said Cofield. "I just want my fair chance ... to go out there and secure my future." The Giants nearly worked out a trade last year, and that could be the case again this summer if Cofield isn't allowed to test the free-agent waters. Like the Vikes' Ray Edwards, Cofield insists he won't play under a one-year tender for a second straight year. He'll be sought after as a run stopper on the open market
Old 05-11-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Giants NT Cofield May Hit Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Alot of teams would clamor for this guy in the middle

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

How is he different than Okoye? Last season stats pretty close & our guy id bigger and pretty good at stopping the run. I just do not see any advantage.
Old 05-11-2011   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How is he different than Okoye? Last season stats pretty close & our guy id bigger and pretty good at stopping the run. I just do not see any advantage.
Though his stats may look similar I always though Cofield was more a force in the backfield.
Old 05-11-2011   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't expect a single Giants DT to put up great numbers since they constantly rotate. I remember him killing Brady in the Super Bowl though.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stats can be hard to guage with DT's. Especially ones that play in the 3-4. I'm not saying that you're not correct either, but it's hard to know how good a DT is in many cases if you're looking at just stats alone.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #6
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 31311 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

The trade referenced in the article is probably the one that fell through between the Giants and Saints:

Quote:
We noted after the draft that the Giants almost traded defensive tackle Barry Cofield to the Saints, but that the trade fell through. Now a new report says that the Giants and Saints reached a deal, but the Saints backed off when Cofield told them what he’d want in a new contract.

Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports that the Saints and Giants agreed to send Cofield to New Orleans in exchange for the Saints’ second-round pick (64th overall). But the talks fell apart because the Saints’ contract offer to Cofield wasn’t even close to what he wanted.
I know the Saints really coveted Cofield and I'm sure they didn't lowball him - so wild speculation as to what he wanted began.

Now that the Saints have Sean Rogers, I'm not sure if they'd have any interest in him - but the guy was (justifiably, imo) sought after. And will be even moreso, probably. Just not sure how much $$$ it would take to land him.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind folks that Okoye's focus last two seasons was to shut down the run not get to QB. Gary mentioned several times that oneof the priority needs was to stop the run. I for one had been championing a big old DT and had to shut up when the light DTs did quite well.

ALso, didn't Mitchell and Okoye rotate quite a bit?
Old 05-11-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye has not been a dominant DT, but folks act like he's just lunch meat out there.

Dude gets penetration and is decent against the run.

He hasn't lived up to top 10 status, but he's not terrible like some people say he is.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Written back in May 2010:

Cofield hopes big year leads to huge deal

Quote:
Recently, Cofield spent time in the office of general manager Jerry Reese to discuss the situation. The Giants did not shop Cofield, and the Saints made initial contact. The Giants certainly were willing to give up Cofield for a second-round pick and gave the New Orleans front office permission to work out a long-term deal with Cofield, who will make $1.7 million this season after signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent. In rushed negotiations, Cofield didn't like what the Saints were offering and the trade was shelved.

"I was on the clock, the draft had started, and it gave me less time to think, so maybe they thought I would succumb to the numbers they gave me, but it wasn't the case," Cofield said. "The Saints were giving up a second-round pick in a very deep draft. That shows a lot.

"Dollars and cents, that's business, but giving up a second-round pick, that shows they value me," he added. "A lot of quality players have been traded for a lot less than a second-round pick this offseason. That actually made me feel good someone had interest and someone would be willing to give up a second-round pick for me. When that fell through my attention immediately turned to what we have in this building and that excites me too."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read