Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2011   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do the Texans target a WR in FA?

If and when that may actually happen...

Smith would be a welcomed addition, but at what cost?

Quote:
Steve Smith confirms that he has asked the Panthers front office to put him in a "competitive situation" this year.
Smith has not "demanded" a trade, insisting he wants to be "respectful" to the Panthers organization. "In my mind, I have played out every scenario," said Smith. "I could be moved, I could be cut, I could stay or I could be locked out." Smith's agent made it clear the receiver's priority is a "burning desire" to show he's a top talent on a contending team "hopefully on the verge of winning a championship." Smith hinted that the Raiders are not high on his wish list, but the Chargers, Ravens, and Texans may be.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #2
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do the Texans target a WR in FA?

For the right price I'd love to bring in Smith.

I think he has alot left and was just stuck in a terrible situation last year.

Put him with Andre, look out!
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 05-10-2011   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
For the right price I'd love to bring in Smith.

I think he has alot left and was just stuck in a terrible situation last year.

Put him with Andre, look out!
Me too. I would not overpay though for him.
Old 05-10-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith hasn't had a good season since 2008. Part of that was the Carolina QB situation, to be sure. But, another part is that Smith has lost some of his dynamic speed and quickness. He was never a technically good receiver, he mainly made his living on YAC running short slants. I just don't think Smith is what the Texans would be looking for in a FA WR.
Old 05-10-2011   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Smith hasn't had a good season since 2008. Part of that was the Carolina QB situation, to be sure. But, another part is that Smith has lost some of his dynamic speed and quickness. He was never a technically good receiver, he mainly made his living on YAC running short slants. I just don't think Smith is what the Texans would be looking for in a FA WR.
Steve Smith would murder defenses as a slot or even a #2 if AJ is on the other side. Obviously it'd depend on how much money he wanted but picking up a guy that's as hungry as he is wouldn't be a bad thing for this team. Plus he's a pretty good blocker which you know is something this FO loves.

Also, I don't know why you think he was never technically good, he's been a great WR1 for many years.

Think about this for a second Lucky: Cortland Finnegan covering Steve Smith.
Old 05-10-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being 5'9 I would say he is better than Jones.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2011   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Also, I don't know why you think he was never technically good, he's been a great WR1 for many years.
What I mean is that Smith is not a great route runner. That's a big reason Jacoby Jones hasn't made a big impact in this offense. Combine that with Smith's declining quicks and it adds up to a WR that doesn't add much to this offense. The Steve Smith of 2008 is not available. And the Steve Smith of 2011 is not the Steve Smith of 2008.
Old 05-10-2011   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
What I mean is that Smith is not a great route runner. That's a big reason Jacoby Jones hasn't made a big impact in this offense. Combine that with Smith's declining quicks and it adds up to a WR that doesn't add much to this offense. The Steve Smith of 2008 is not available. And the Steve Smith of 2011 is not the Steve Smith of 2008.
Smith is still plenty quick enough, he's had all of 4 good games out of Matt Moore in the last 2 years. He's more like a TO and not a Randy Moss. He is great at coming out of his breaks and fighting tooth and nail for ever yard and every ball. He can do plenty of damage behind the defense as well but he's definitely more a prize fighter willing to go over the middle, make tough catches and fight for what he earns. Having a good QB and somebody else to take the heat off of him and I bet he can still put up one or two more 1,000 yard seasons.
Old 05-10-2011   #10
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would still take 2011 Steve Smith over any year Kevin Walter.
Old 05-10-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He would still help a playoff team which the Texans hope and should be by now.
Old 05-10-2011   #12
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
I would still take 2011 Steve Smith over any year Kevin Walter.
Why does it have to be either/or?
Quote:
He's more like a TO and not a Randy Moss...he's definitely more a prize fighter willing to go over the middle, make tough catches and fight for what he earns.
I think you may have hit on why Smith has declined. He's a tough guy, but at 185 lbs, Smith may be beat up. In contrast, the 225 lb TO looks to still have game. If you're looking for a vet CB, Owens has more left in the tank than Smith, plus is a better fit in this offense.
Old 05-10-2011   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Why does it have to be either/or?

I think you may have hit on why Smith has declined. He's a tough guy, but at 185 lbs, Smith may be beat up. In contrast, the 225 lb TO looks to still have game. If you're looking for a vet CB, Owens has more left in the tank than Smith, plus is a better fit in this offense.
You can easily point to Smith's decline as being Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore. He is obviously looking for a chance to get back into the playoffs so I don't think he wants a huge payday. I don't know but I did ask a die hard Panther fan about his route running and this is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizFashizzle
b0ng posted:

How good is he at running routes?

Stellar.

Keep in mind that smith rarely caught passes in stride. He always had to go up for them because Jake wasn't the most accurate. when he got the ball with momentum the results were the 2003 NFC divisional game against the rams.

He could have had 2000 yards in 2005. That's how locked in he was that year.

I was at the game where he torched the Vikings. Fred smoot kept looking to the sidelines for help lol
He is 31, but he's certainly no Ahman Green, for the right price he'd definitely be an upgrade of Walter/Jacoby/Whomever else you want throw out there that is currently on the roster.
Old 05-10-2011   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chargers to show interest in Smith: The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers would be interested in trading for Panthers WR Steve Smith, who has already cleared out his locker and packed his belongings from the Panthers. The paper reports that Smith, who has two years remaining on his current contract and is owed $7 million for 2011 and $7.75 million for 2012, wants to be traded and the Los Angeles native prefers a California landing spot. The report also says that Smith would have to redo his contract, and that the Chargers would likely offer a fourth-round pick to the Panthers.
(Updated 05/09/2011)
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...57/steve-smith

Smith has seen double teams throughout his career, especially as the only viable WR option on the field..........and he has routinely eluded them or given those defenders carpet burns. He also is a heck of a blocker. All in all, I believe that his loss of speed may reverse itself to some extent when he is "fresher" on the field having options taking down his previously unrelenting burden.............and maybe, he'll even punch out a Texans player or two if they don't hold up their own.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give up a 3rd for him.

BoB wont, he's no chior boy.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'd give up a 3rd for him.

BoB wont, he's no chior boy.
but he is not actually a bad guy (off field especially). At time agressive and comes from a hard background, but mutiple inerviews have shown that he has a pretty clear long term head, bascially because of what he went through. If he is too much a of a bad guy, then we have no hope ever.
Old 05-10-2011   #17
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILs1ALU3O0

need i say more?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #18
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
but he is not actually a bad guy (off field especially). At time agressive and comes from a hard background, but mutiple inerviews have shown that he has a pretty clear long term head, bascially because of what he went through. If he is too much a of a bad guy, then we have no hope ever.
He had a few incidents where he punched teammates so i think that's what he was referring to.
Old 05-10-2011   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Steve Smith would murder defenses as a slot or even a #2 if AJ is on the other side. Obviously it'd depend on how much money he wanted but picking up a guy that's as hungry as he is wouldn't be a bad thing for this team. Plus he's a pretty good blocker which you know is something this FO loves.

Think about this for a second Lucky: Cortland Finnegan covering Steve Smith.
Totally agree here. Add to that, Steve Smith is a total gamer. When that guy is motivated and ready to play he's all bite. Don't mistake this dude as some flash in the pan guy who had a few nice seasons. Hell,. I think some people are forgetting about how Steve Smith totally punked the entire Texans defense on that one play which is one of the best offensive plays I've ever seen on a football field where his 5'10 ass broke like 7 tackles from Texans players humiliating our defense. He'd be great here no doubt.

We'll never do it though, because Smith has a bad history of having a bad temper. He broke the gamble's nose in practice one day and had another altercation with another player several years ago. He's a real hot head, and we all know that Bob won't touch players like these if it's already known.

I do think we need to spend the money on the defense in free agency any way. We still need to get some help in the secondary and try to find a guy for the middle. Although I highly doubt we'll go after anyone major. Smith is a nice pipe dream.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #20
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Totally agree here. Add to that, Steve Smith is a total gamer. When that guy is motivated and ready to play he's all bite. Don't mistake this dude as some flash in the pan guy who had a few nice seasons. Hell,. I think some people are forgetting about how Steve Smith totally punked the entire Texans defense on that one play which is one of the best offensive plays I've ever seen on a football field where his 5'10 ass broke like 7 tackles from Texans players humiliating our defense. He'd be great here no doubt.

We'll never do it though, because Smith has a bad history of having a bad temper. He broke the gamble's nose in practice one day and had another altercation with another player several years ago. He's a real hot head, and we all know that Bob won't touch players like these if it's already known.

I do think we need to spend the money on the defense in free agency any way. We still need to get some help in the secondary and try to find a guy for the middle. Although I highly doubt we'll go after anyone major. Smith is a nice pipe dream.
lol i posted it earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILs1ALU3O0
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read