Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2011   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Amobi Okoye DE

thoughts - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7556174.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: Amobi Okoye DE

Looks like he's calling him out in my opinion... is that to motivate, or has Phillips already decided this guy is a bust?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Amobi played DE for us a few times last season, out of a 3 man front. I thought he looked as good as Antonio, a lot of effort & being a hair short & a tad late. A little pass defense would help both guys I think.

I think it's odd to pencil in the starters..... whether it's Antonio & Watt, or Amobi & Watt, or Antonio & Amobi before the first OTA.
Old 05-09-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Amobi played DE for us a few times last season, out of a 3 man front. I thought he looked as good as Antonio, a lot of effort & being a hair short & a tad late. A little pass defense would help both guys I think.

I think it's odd to pencil in the starters..... whether it's Antonio & Watt, or Amobi & Watt, or Antonio & Amobi before the first OTA.
The only one that penciled in the starters was McClain.

Wade only said that "you have Watt, Smith, and Amobi".
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive said about a dozen times on here (search it if you like) that I believe 0k0ye's natural position is a 34 DE.

He gets zero's till he earns those O's

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Here is the key "being responsible to get to QB and not grab and hold the blocker". Actually, I would be happy for Okoye to get 3 sacks this season as I anticipated him to remain a tackle. As a DE he might get 7-8. We probably will see our two ILBs banging the middle even more to help the Nose.
Old 05-09-2011   #7
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like Wade isn't confident in his ability at all. Its also very telling and troubleing that wade thinks he played terrible last year and the old staff and Okoye seem to have thought he played his best last year...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he fits Wade Phillips scheme as a nose either despite using smaller one gap tackles. If Texans get enough time in during whatever pre-season is left he will be evaluated how well he fits/performs in this new role with options 1 being yes, keep him as a rotational end or 2 no, look for another team to trade him to.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't think he fits Wade Phillips scheme as a nose either despite using smaller one gap tackles. If Texans get enough time in during whatever pre-season is left he will be evaluated how well he fits/performs in this new role with options 1 being yes, keep him as a rotational end or 2 no, look for another team to trade him to.
I think he makes it just based on how thin we are at DE as it is unless he is a complete and total disaster before we make it to week 1.
Old 05-09-2011   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
i think he makes it just based on how thin we are at de as it is unless he is a complete and total disaster before we make it to week 1.
+1^^^

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how they work the classic Texans spin in there with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClain
Last season, the Texans ranked 32nd in pass defense, allowing 267.5 yards a game. But over the last six games, they surrendered 211.7 yards and reduced their touchdown passes from 25 to eight.
I don't think a year has gone by when we didn't get some kind of sillly bullshit stat like this to try and make us feel better about the turd layed the previous year.

Okoye at DE is interesting though. That's been discussed here for a couple of years, albeit in the context of a 4-3 DE. Still, maybe he'll surprise us. I mean, if we can make ourselves believe that Mario will improve as an OLB then Amobi at DE can't be much more of a stretch. It's not like he's going to have less impact than he does already.
Old 05-09-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I don't think a year has gone by when we didn't get some kind of sillly bullshit stat like this to try and make us feel better about the turd layed the previous year.

Okoye at DE is interesting though. That's been discussed here for a couple of years, albeit in the context of a 4-3 DE. Still, maybe he'll surprise us. I mean, if we can make ourselves believe that Mario will improve as an OLB then Amobi at DE can't be much more of a stretch. It's not like he's going to have less impact than he does already.
But we had a top 12 defense for the last 6 games! Does that not mean anything to you??? If we keep that up for 16 games next season, we will be in the Super Bowl!!!!

Old 05-09-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Amobi makes the team as a backup DE in 3-4 sets and DT in 4-3 sets, and has a better year than normal but nothing outstanding. I also don't think we'll see any personal or team improvement until about the 4th game of the year. It'll take time form them to learn and gel as a unit. As for KJ, I think he'll be fine. With newer/better (hopefully) coaches and a years experience he should be better, not Aso great, but better. Last year Kubiak threw him into a situation out of desperation that he wasn't prepared for, it was a no win situation.

I'm most surprised that Phillips is happy with Mitchell at NT, all 291 lbs. of him. Also Cody is a FA so he'll have to be re-signed in order to become the NT starter. Hopefully they pick up a NT off the street or FA, and if not then I think that NT will be a very high priority in next years draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Sounds to me like Wade isn't confident in his ability at all. Its also very telling and troubleing that wade thinks he played terrible last year and the old staff and Okoye seem to have thought he played his best last year...
It's probably a difference in what they wanted/expected him to do.

If one coach wants you to go balls out and penetrate no matter what he's going to be happy when you do.

If another coach wants you to read, react and maintain discipline he's going to think you're horrible and irresponsible for abandoning your gap and trying to penetrate every snap.

(not saying that is what Bush/Wade wanted, just an example)

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Amobi is a 9-10 year project player, so he's barely halfway there. Patience, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
But we had a top 12 defense for the last 6 games! Does that not mean anything to you??? If we keep that up for 16 games next season, we will be in the Super Bowl!!!!

It sounds like our team is on the right track!
Old 05-09-2011   #16
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
It's probably a difference in what they wanted/expected him to do.

If one coach wants you to go balls out and penetrate no matter what he's going to be happy when you do.

If another coach wants you to read, react and maintain discipline he's going to think you're horrible and irresponsible for abandoning your gap and trying to penetrate every snap.

(not saying that is what Bush/Wade wanted, just an example)
I get that, my comment was more on the lines of Okoye has no it in his head that he played excellent and is content.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Amobi makes the team as a backup DE in 3-4 sets and DT in 4-3 sets, and has a better year than normal but nothing outstanding. I also don't think we'll see any personal or team improvement until about the 4th game of the year. It'll take time form them to learn and gel as a unit. As for KJ, I think he'll be fine. With newer/better (hopefully) coaches and a years experience he should be better, not Aso great, but better. Last year Kubiak threw him into a situation out of desperation that he wasn't prepared for, it was a no win situation.

I'm most surprised that Phillips is happy with Mitchell at NT, all 291 lbs. of him. Also Cody is a FA so he'll have to be re-signed in order to become the NT starter. Hopefully they pick up a NT off the street or FA, and if not then I think that NT will be a very high priority in next years draft.
Cody was signed before the 2009-2010 season for three years. I think he remains on roster. Link= http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4008922
Old 05-09-2011   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Amobi is a 9-10 year project player, so he's barely halfway there. Patience, folks!

It sounds like our team is on the right track!
You may be onto something there without realizing it .... 0k0ye was a pup when he came into the NFL. He might have been a big strong guy , but compare him and the competition to two bulls - One a yearling and the other a middle aged bull who had been thru the rutt a few times .... That young bull is gonna get his ass handed to him.

He's just now 23 years old - what would be his Junior or Senior season in college .... At the time , it was probably a poor pick but going forward , maybe he's just not hit his peak yet , I'd say "late bloomer" but that would hardly fit a guy who was drafted by the NFL at 19.

He could take a big step this year .... or next (maybe never).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Also Cody is a FA so he'll have to be re-signed in order to become the NT starter.
I believe they've already got that done, so he's on the roster along with Mitchell to play nose for us.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I still hope we go out and get like a fat ol nt plug for just the running plays And then take him out for the passing
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read