Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-09-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cushing under NFL spotlight?

We may get some national mention if not necessarily for best reason with Cushing and Duane coming back from season with missed games. What type of year do we get from each of these but especially Cushing? Will we ever get another from the LB like his rookie season or are those days gone. If Butler is allowed free agency under a new CBA, do we overpay to ensure we have him as he did well replacing Brown or do we go after another LT?
Old 05-09-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cushing under NFL spotlight?

I think Butler makes it to FA with a hand shake and patt on the back of appreciation. He played very well last year and should make his deserved big pay day starting for someone. We've got Pemberton on the practice squad and just drafted Newton.

I think Duane Brown will continue to be his same ole average self, not great but not bad and have no idea of Cushings future performance, only time will tell.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, Cushing is not "over training" this off-season. Then again, "over training" is what led him to a great rookie season.
Old 05-09-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Butler makes it to FA with a hand shake and patt on the back of appreciation. He played very well last year and should make his deserved big pay day starting for someone. We've got Pemberton on the practice squad and just drafted Newton.

I think Duane Brown will continue to be his same ole average self, not great but not bad and have no idea of Cushings future performance, only time will tell.
I would love to see Pemberton and Shelley Smith as back ups but not sure if Cole is ready to replace Butler. I'd feel better about Brown if I knew he was not going to 'miss' any more games. He has remained healthy. If free agents must have 6 years, I expect Butler to stay.
Old 05-10-2011   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Cush won't be playing with that roid rage fire you get, which gave him the extra overdrive. He'll be solid, not spectacular.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Butler better be signed. To me you can never have enough good LTs on your team. Butler was also a good tandem with Smith on that left side.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Cush won't be playing with that roid rage fire you get, which gave him the extra overdrive. He'll be solid, not spectacular.
This ^^^^^^

He's not the same guy we saw in his rookie season.

But he's not terrible now either.

"Solid, not spectacular" is just how I would describe his prospects now.
Old 05-10-2011   #8
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to give a few games into this season before I make up my mind. I am not sure it was the non "overtraining" that hampered him.

He was suspended for 4 games. Came back and made an impact against the giants, I believe he was hanging on Manning or chasing him on both of the picks. Then he was forced to play Mike and then switched outside again where I though he played better.

That is 25% of the season missed, another 25% at a position he hasn't played in years. Combine that with not much continuity at his familiar OLB position in the 4-3 combined further with the pure sucktitude that was our defense as a whole and you get a subpar season.

The first few games will be interesting for sure not only in regards to Cushing but also in regards to the entire front 7.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's the theme for this year:

We're not used to our positions yet.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #10
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

People are looking way too much into last year. Everyone's saying he's just "solid" now cause he's not on PEDs or whatever, when the whole entire season he had to anchor the linebacking corps without Demeco next to him, didn't play his natural position part of the time, and had to try to lead a leaderless defense. He's still a great player and i think he will shine again next season if there is one.

He's still a workout freak and has great instincts that PEDs cannot teach. He made a mistake by doing that, but i really don't think they altered his play that much. I thought he was still fine last year under the circumstances.
Old 05-11-2011   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
People are looking way too much into last year. Everyone's saying he's just "solid" now cause he's not on PEDs or whatever, when the whole entire season he had to anchor the linebacking corps without Demeco next to him, didn't play his natural position part of the time, and had to try to lead a leaderless defense. He's still a great player and i think he will shine again next season if there is one.

He's still a workout freak and has great instincts that PEDs cannot teach. He made a mistake by doing that, but i really don't think they altered his play that much. I thought he was still fine last year under the circumstances.
I mean no offense, but I think you just exposed his biggest dissapointment(s). DeMeco doesn't need a Cushing to shine. Cushing could not lead a leaderless defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read