Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2011   #101
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Will Use Mario at LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Not to disagree with you but I seem to remember reading where his playing weight during the season is around 275 so it's not that much of a reach and I think Philips said he currently weighs 285 so that's doable and makes the 275 playing weight sound reasonable.

If you remember during the draft news conferences Philips or his LB coach mentioned that Watt reminded him of Phil Hansen who played for the Buffalo Bills (my home town). Hansen played the strong side DE position with B.Smith on the other side. Smith was allowed to concentrate on rushing the passer while Hansen primary responsibility was to stop the run but he also had his 2 best sack year totals during Philips rein.

When you think of the draft now it seems reasonable to think that this was part of the plan all along and why Philips was so high on Watt and why they said he would start. They aren't going to use Mario in the passing lanes, his primary goal will be to cause havoc in the backfield by concentrating on nothing but rushing the passer and disrupting the running game. Anotonio Smith is going to play on the same side as Mario so that although he's technically a DE he's going to go up against the guard instead of the tackle because his responsibility will be to stop Mario.

It also makes sense now that that's why they kept the D.Line coach and changed the LB and Secondary coaches and why they said Cody and Mitchell will do fine as the NTs. Kollar teaches the an aggressive style of D.Line play which this defense will incorporate to force chaos in the backfield and hopefully cause turnovers. It seems to me that the key to doing this won't be Mario's issue but the fast development of Watt and the strong side LB's (Barwin and Reed). They seem to think that Ryans and Cushing will control the middle and actually one of them will secure the TE.

Will it work?? Only time will tell but everything they've said and done since Philips was hired and the draft confirms it, has led to this happening and been their mind set all along. JMHO.
In a perfect world this all works out as you have stated.

Where was this aggressive style of DL play that you speak of last yr?

The reason Kollar stayed is that he was a highly paid AC that was still under contract.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #102
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'd expect a four man line on 3rd and long. Nickel or dime.
Ryans, probably, or Cushing will have to come out in nickel situations.
Old 05-07-2011   #103
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
When you play standing up, you can move around any where along the line to give the offense some thing to think about.
Also, in some instance, you might be able to decipher the protection call.
On third and long. . .sure.

But on downs where running is possible you don't want guys moving around like that.

And I really doubt we'll see guys moving around like that a bunch anyways. But even if we did, you can still do that in a 43.

In the post you quoted I was talking about the gap responsibilities. The players who will be rushing most of the time. The way the dt's play. . None of that has anything to do with guys standing up or moving around.

Wades defense sounds like a 43 in a 34 alignment. I'm not complaining, just saying that's what it sounds like.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #104
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ryans, probably, or Cushing will have to come out in nickel situations.
I don't see a scenario where both those guys Aren't your starting lbs in the nickel.
Old 05-07-2011   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Mario is going to have his hand off the ground quite a bit when he's pass rushing. The idea that the NT and both DE's are responsible for a single gap and the ILB's clean up what gaps they don't is what Phillips has used before in Dallas and in Buffalo. He's had huge NT's before (Williams and Washington) and have used them as 2-gap players but he has proven his defense effective with having 3 guys on the line who aren't monsters. In the 4-3's that we have run Mario gets about. . . I'd say 7/8ths of his total snaps from a 3 point stance. In this new defense I'm willing to bet that number goes down to 1/2 or less.

That's why you'd say that Wade Phillips's 3-4 has variations.
Alignment wise he runs a 34. But gap wise it seems to be closer to a traditional 43.

I'm not worried about alignment as much as I am about responsibilities.

Gonna be fun to watch wade put it together.
Old 05-07-2011   #106
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

from http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain fully expects No. 11 overall pick J.J. Watt to be the Texans' starting left defensive end in Week 1.
It's not out of the question that Watt may have to compete a little with Antonio Smith for the job in training camp, but obviously a team that had one of the league's worst defenses in 2010 would not use such a high pick on a player it didn't think was ready to start. Smith will still be a factor along the line in 2011, as well.

With Mario moving to OLB who do they expect as the other DE starter if its not Watt and Smith
Old 05-07-2011   #107
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
from http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain fully expects No. 11 overall pick J.J. Watt to be the Texans' starting left defensive end in Week 1.
It's not out of the question that Watt may have to compete a little with Antonio Smith for the job in training camp, but obviously a team that had one of the league's worst defenses in 2010 would not use such a high pick on a player it didn't think was ready to start. Smith will still be a factor along the line in 2011, as well.

With Mario moving to OLB who do they expect as the other DE starter if its not Watt and Smith
I think its the writer not understanding that Mario is at OLB. Watt and Smith at DE, with Okoye and a couple other guys serving as depth.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2011   #108
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think its the writer not understanding that Mario is at OLB. Watt and Smith at DE, with Okoye and a couple other guys serving as depth.
Exactly. As much as I like Watt, I'd be surprised if he beat out Smith by game 16 let alone game one. I feel Smith will have a very good year in 3-4. Watt should get some games starting on the line as you said 65.
Old 05-07-2011   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly. As much as I like Watt, I'd be surprised if he beat out Smith by game 16 let alone game one. I feel Smith will have a very good year in 3-4. Watt should get some games starting on the line as you said 65.
I don't think it's going to be a thing where he beats him out. I think it's possible that Watt and Smith are getting equal numbers of snaps. I'm just having a problem thinking of who else is going to be a DE besides Watt, Okoye and Smith. I think it'd be kind of silly not to have Mark Anderson as a pass rushing OLB and from what I've read Nading is going to be an OLB as well so that leaves. . . Tim Jamison? That pretty much pencils in Watt as a guy who is going to get a ton of reps whether he's good or bad unless they pick up some FA guys as well.
Old 05-07-2011   #110
Lucky

Rep Power: 104254 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just having a problem thinking of who else is going to be a DE besides Watt, Okoye and Smith.
There's still free agency, where a vet DE can be picked up. I'm having difficulty seeing Okoye as part of the equation, at all.
Old 05-07-2011   #111
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Aside from JJ Watt, Antonio Smith, Mario Williams, Tim Bulman, and maybe Jarvis Green, who else do we have that could play the DE spot for our 3-4 defensive set?

IMO, we have enough OLBs to make this thing work, its the nose tackle spot that concerns me because we don't have anyone who could play that spot. Maybe we address this in FA if it happens but as of now, I'm more worried about the nose tackle spot than anywhere else on this defense.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #112
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know its hard not to give up on okoye but the man is only 23 years old, slightly older then most nfl rookies. It is possible that wade feels he can work with him and turn him into what he was thought to be when he was drafted. Okoye is younger than brooks reed is
Old 05-07-2011   #113
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, Phillips/MW have sure changed their tunes. It seems as though catering to MW will never end. The Texans love fest continues. Typical Texans.

BTW, didn't Phillips reside over the worst defense in Cowgirls history? Were they predictable or unpredictable?

I'll tell you what they were. Terrible, But Phillips is going to change everything in one yr. LOL

I cant wait for a hard a** like Cowher to come in and change the culture of this club. Oh well maybe next yr.
Last I checked Texans love was why one would waste time on a Texans message board. I figure, given the better things in life we all have to do, we would have to actually like the team, for whatever reason, to invest time discussing it online, following team news, and watching games. I don't invest to hate.

When I look at Phillips record, I see good results out weighing bad. One or two bad years with the cowboys does not erase a whole career. Predictable or not, he gets results. Then it peters out. Oddly, this dude tends to turnaround defenses in a hurry. In a season? Dunno. Just glad this team finally has a competent defensive coach.

I choose to not cherry pick the data to fit my opinion. To each their own...
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #114
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX View Post
Last I checked Texans love was why one would waste time on a Texans message board. I figure, given the better things in life we all have to do, we would have to actually like the team, for whatever reason, to invest time discussing it online, following team news, and watching games. I don't invest to hate.

When I look at Phillips record, I see good results out weighing bad. One or two bad years with the cowboys does not erase a whole career. Predictable or not, he gets results. Then it peters out. Oddly, this dude tends to turnaround defenses in a hurry. In a season? Dunno. Just glad this team finally has a competent defensive coach.

I choose to not cherry pick the data to fit my opinion. To each their own...
Wasn't talking about fan/poster love. I was talking about the soft Texans team. EX. MW complains about Wade asking him to play the role Bruce Smith played. Then all of the sudden Wade and MW have this talk and Wade thinks MW is going to be a reincarnation of Ware.

Which is it this week Wade? Does MW take to many false steps and is too stiff to play OLB like you said earlier? Or is he this months story Wade? The next Ware? All of this waffling by Wade is confusing and doesn't bode well for the future.

MW could care less about the teams success. It's a contract yr and he wants to be put in a position to get big numbers = getting paid. That's what it's all about for MW and quite a few other players. Team be damned, Unfortunately this atmosphere has been fostered by BoB,Rick, and Gary for to long.

I was hoping Wade could change this culture. It may change with drafting guys like Watt,Harris,Reed and Keo. But I hope the vets like MW dont ruin the rookies desire to put the team 1st.

You're a true fan (me too) and this is a great thing. But you're being quite the homer (not that there's anything wrong with that) if you think Wade can fix the historically bad defense in 1 yr and it's not fairto Wade to expect him to fix everything. After a massive failure in Dallas you must have some doubts?
Old 05-07-2011   #115
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, if Wade said it then it must be right and the Texans are going to the Super Bowl. Remember folks, "We're on the right track".

What other kind of behavior did you people expect from another coach who said whatever the owner wanted to hear to get the job?
Old 05-07-2011   #116
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't talking about fan/poster love. I was talking about the soft Texans team. EX. MW complains about Wade asking him to play the role Bruce Smith played. Then all of the sudden Wade and MW have this talk and Wade thinks MW is going to be a reincarnation of Ware.

Which is it this week Wade? Does MW take to many false steps and is too stiff to play OLB like you said earlier? Or is he this months story Wade? The next Ware? All of this waffling by Wade is confusing and doesn't bode well for the future.

MW could care less about the teams success. It's a contract yr and he wants to be put in a position to get big numbers = getting paid. That's what it's all about for MW and quite a few other players. Team be damned, Unfortunately this atmosphere has been fostered by BoB,Rick, and Gary for to long.

I was hoping Wade could change this culture. It may change with drafting guys like Watt,Harris,Reed and Keo. But I hope the vets like MW dont ruin the rookies desire to put the team 1st.

You're a true fan (me too) and this is a great thing. But you're being quite the homer (not that there's anything wrong with that) if you think Wade can fix the historically bad defense in 1 yr and it's not fairto Wade to expect him to fix everything. After a massive failure in Dallas you must have some doubts?
OK... I gotcha on the love thing....

According to McClain, Williams did not complain about any role with the team. He did not ask to not play DE or ask to be a LB; he was told he was not going to play DE. And instead of complaining, Williams has, thus far, embraced his new duties with enthusiasm. Link

Phillips addressed the false steps issue. Read the article. You can decide Phillips is lying if you wish, but the man stated very clearly that the more he studied film, the more he and his staff felt Williams is the guy for the ROLB spot and the hitch in the two point rush can be coached out as it was a bad footwork issue. I have no problem with the man changing his mind as he learns more information. I would have a bigger problem if he was so stuck in his ways that he wouldn't change it, despite evidence.

There is a lot to hate on this org for, but Williams, IMO, is not on the list.
Old 05-07-2011   #117
MojoX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Hey, if Wade said it then it must be right and the Texans are going to the Super Bowl. Remember folks, "We're on the right track".

What other kind of behavior did you people expect from another coach who said whatever the owner wanted to hear to get the job?
Who is claiming superbowl? How do you know Phillips is disingenuous? Where is the evidence for this stuff? Or is there no evidence and this is just hating (either just to do so or because of 10 years of sucktitude)? Let me know so I can stop wasting my time following a team of unqualified failures. There are 32 teams in the league, I'd rather follow the one where ownership, management and coaching have some integrity.
Old 05-07-2011   #118
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's going to be a thing where he beats him out. I think it's possible that Watt and Smith are getting equal numbers of snaps. I'm just having a problem thinking of who else is going to be a DE besides Watt, Okoye and Smith. I think it'd be kind of silly not to have Mark Anderson as a pass rushing OLB and from what I've read Nading is going to be an OLB as well so that leaves. . . Tim Jamison? That pretty much pencils in Watt as a guy who is going to get a ton of reps whether he's good or bad unless they pick up some FA guys as well.
I just don't see Mario or Smith coming out of a game much & Watt should get those plays when they do. I'm not too worried about depth until injuries occur. ANderson would then move to DE. I'm much more concerned about the nose as the position will get a player beat up much more than DE.
Old 05-07-2011   #119
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

^^^^Well Mario and Antonio aren't going to play the same spots so it's basically going to leave what I figure the most talented people being Smith and Watt unless somebody else steps up. Anderson being a 240 lb 3-4 DE scares me, he should be a WOLB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There's still free agency, where a vet DE can be picked up. I'm having difficulty seeing Okoye as part of the equation, at all.
Talent-wise he should be cut but I imagine they are going to need warm bodies there above everything else if the Roster doesn't change much.
Old 05-07-2011   #120
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX View Post
Who is claiming superbowl? How do you know Phillips is disingenuous? Where is the evidence for this stuff? Or is there no evidence and this is just hating (either just to do so or because of 10 years of sucktitude)? Let me know so I can stop wasting my time following a team of unqualified failures. There are 32 teams in the league, I'd rather follow the one where ownership, management and coaching have some integrity.

Wade Phillips is going to fix the defense and that's going to solve the Texans problems. That's the current Kool-Aid correct? We're on the right track came right out of our owners mouth and that was before he hired Wade to fix the defense so if we're drinking the juice and the owner is right then we're Super Bowl bound. Maybe not this year of course (got to keep your options open) but eventually and these are the people to get us there.

I mean, That is if you buy this bull****.

Nobody knows that Phillips is disingenuous at this time. It's only a deep gut feeling on my part. Actually he might not be at all. I'm sure he's buying into the plan as he spins it.

So call it hating for 10 years of suckitude. Still history suggests I'm on to something and that moving Mario Williams to OLB will turn out just like every other slightly hair-brained scheme this franchise has ever cooked up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read