Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2011   #81
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
The Dallas version of the Wade defense was not very "unpredictable" even in the years the defense was good. Almost no blitzing from the DBs with the two OLBs primarily rushing. His ideas is putting people in the best spots to do what they do best versus trick the offense.
He may do things a bit differently than he did in Dallas now that he's an actual coordinator and has different personnel.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #82
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Texans Will Use Mario at LB

I personally dont think its a good idea to stand mario up at olb. He's so tall and lean that he play high with his pads. One of the great,subtle things about the 3 or 4pt stance is it helps your pad level. I for one think mario will be fine as a 3-4 end and get paid accordingly. He probably wont be a 14 sack guy, but he can consistently get 10 because he will be rushing against guards. When wade to slant inside, those guards are going to have hell keeping mario away from a sack.
Old 05-06-2011   #83
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Where the heck is Mario going to drop 15 lbs. Dude is already tight at 290 lbs. He'll have to lose muscle to drop the weight.
He plays at 290. During the off season he drops to 280, which is where he is right now. It shouldn't be hard at all to drop another 5 - 10 pounds and play at about 270 - 275. At this weight he'll gain some quickness.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #84
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I watched Mario go into coverage I think "this ain't gonna be pretty". He is big, strong and his job is to disrupt the QB. I don't care where he launches from, but I want this missile hitting the target. Wade is the expert but if this doesn't work (refer to Cushing at the Mike), I hope he adjusts more quickly.
Old 05-06-2011   #85
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
All of this weight issues regarding Mario whether he should lose weight or gain weight or whatever isn't the issue.

What the guy needs is an "effort" insert into his heart. If the guy just went full speed all of the time and got one of those "non stop motors" that people like to use as a term for guys that go all out on every play, then he'd be a lot more effective and he could actually dominate. He's never been that kind of player with an attitude like that though and college scouts as well as NFL scouts criticized him for that a lot before he entered the league and was drafted. He's been that guy since we got him. He needs an effort battery inserted into him is what he needs.

Putting him at LB or DE or wherever won't change a thing until he decides to go all out on every play like he is paid to. The idea of him being at LB is intriguing on paper, but realistically I don't think it will be an effective experiment because I don't think he'll be fast enough to get to the QB from that position. I could certainly be wrong though.
Latest report is that Mario has talked to Wade and is really excited about the role he is being asked to play.
Old 05-06-2011   #86
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
While his 10 yard split is good enough .... he's got a hitch in his get along when rushing from an upright position as noted earlier in the thread.
Wade thinks that Mario's footwork is correctable. This will be slowed because of the lock out.
Old 05-06-2011   #87
Number19
All Pro

I've always had the impression that Mario has underperformed his potential, just a little bit. From today's Chronicle we see that over the past four seasons, Mario ranks sixth in sacks. But Abraham, Harrison, Cole and Mario are all right there together between 43 1/2 and 45 sacks. Jared Allen and Ware set themselves apart at 55 1/2 and 60 1/2 sacks.

So Ware is getting about 5 sacks a season more than Mario.

Barring injury, it's not hard for me to see Mario, in Wade's system, getting one additional sack every three games.
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2011   #88
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever. I stick by my prediction. Mario will never appear as a LB on the Texans' depth chart.
Old 05-06-2011   #89
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

According to rotoworld

Defensive Wade Phillips expects weak-side linebacker Mario Williams to be in coverage "about 5 percent" of the time.
Phillips is comparing the 282-pound Williams to 262-pound All-Pro DeMarcus Ware, leading NFL Network -- among others -- to overreact to the position switch. Williams won't be used to cover Chris Johnson or Marcedes Lewis out of the backfield, though. Phillips will move him around, creating mismatches on the offensive line and using variations of the 3-4 where the weak-side linebacker essentially functions as a defensive end.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football
Old 05-06-2011   #90
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Yes and NO. McGuiness(sp) acted like there was only one 3-4 even after Sapp told him that Ware basically never drops in coverage.
They did a segment on the field where they showed clips of him. All I remember about the whole piece was they showed him sacking people, so I'm pretty sure I missed something but I was under the impression they would break down why they figured it wouldn't work.

That's right, Sapp kept saying "Force him to drop on 3rd down" over and over. Yeah they showed him sacking Peyton from the first game multiple times(1 of which came from an OLB spot). They shit on it because they don't think he's capable of learning how to OLB that spot in 1 off season, and has to learn coverage. Mostly them talking about him having to learn how to recognize run/pass (He does this already?) and they think he will take awhile to learn a new spot and will be ineffective.

I forgot that Mario got one of his sacks on Peyton from a 2 point stance in a 3-4 look (I think it might've been the SOLB spot).

EDIT: Both Mario and Wade are talking about him doing basically what he's been doing for the last 5 years, just from a standing position. He's proven that he can rush the passer standing or with his hand on the ground. I still maintain that it's odd that Phillips wants the two pure pass rush guys fighting for a spot on the other side of Mario since one would figure that side is going to get run to like 90% of the time. I'm going to laugh my balls off if mario goes to the probowl as an OLB (wishful thinking).
Old 05-06-2011   #91
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105596 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

This may be a spin job by Wade for not getting his guy in the draft (Aldon Smith).

He didn't exactly sound thrilled in his first press conference with Watt after the draft, but its hard to tell with Wade.

It could work very well. Ware never covers
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #92
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I suspect that he will do the same thing he's always done, including that 5% of the time that he drops back into ZONE coverage, except that he will be standing up at the start of most plays. Just think of him as a standing DE.

They should make him cover AJ in man in practice. That'll get the weight down.

So ya wanna play a skill position huh?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #93
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
This is what I expect to see "normally"

DE: Watt / A. Smith
NT: Mitchell/Cody/Okoye
DE: Mario
OLB: Reed/Mario
ILB: DeMeco
ILB: Cushing
OLB: Barwin/Reed

Passing situations (3rd & Long)

DE: A. Smith
NT: Watt
DE: Mario
OLB: Reed
OLB: Barwin

I hope you're right. If Mario doesn't "buy in", then the Texans will suffer.
I'd expect a four man line on 3rd and long. Nickel or dime.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Whatever. I stick by my prediction. Mario will never appear as a LB on the Texans' depth chart.

Guess we'll have to see if they actually make that switch on the depth chart.

Not looking good for your prediction though...
Old 05-06-2011   #95
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
According to rotoworld

Defensive Wade Phillips expects weak-side linebacker Mario Williams to be in coverage "about 5 percent" of the time.
Phillips is comparing the 282-pound Williams to 262-pound All-Pro DeMarcus Ware, leading NFL Network -- among others -- to overreact to the position switch. Williams won't be used to cover Chris Johnson or Marcedes Lewis out of the backfield, though. Phillips will move him around, creating mismatches on the offensive line and using variations of the 3-4 where the weak-side linebacker essentially functions as a defensive end.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Then why not just stay in the 4-3?

All I'm hearing is Wade's 3-4 has variations. He plays his downlineman in nontraditional ways...They play more up field...like a 4-3...They are one gap players, not two gap...

Sounding more and more to me like Wades 4-3 has variations which incorporate some 3-4.
Old 05-06-2011   #96
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

All I'm hearing is Wade's 3-4 has variations. He plays his downlineman in nontraditional ways...They play more up field...like a 4-3...They are one gap players, not two gap...

Sounding more and more to me like Wades 4-3 has variations which incorporate some 3-4.
Yes, Phillips runs a one-gap scheme and not the pure, two-gap system 3-4 defenses are known for. He relies on a lot of concepts usually associated with 4-3 one-gap schemes.

Obligatory 3-4 defense link:

Quote:
In contrast to the true 2-gap 3-4, there’s no clear “bubble” in a 1-gap front. The strongside end slides down in the guard-tackle gap and the nose tackle slants to the weakside center-guard gap. The weakside end may or may not be head-up on the tackle, sometimes aligning in a 5-technique. Moving the defensive lineman just a few inches changes the philosophy entirely. The diagram above shows an under-shifted 3-4, but over-shifted 3-4 fronts are also common.

By comparing the two 3-4 diagrams, it’s easy to see how the mind-set of the defensive linemen differs between the two flavors of 3-4. It’s clear that the two inside linebackers can be, if the linemen are disruptive at all, better protected from the blocks of interior linemen. You can see the lines of attack for a delayed ILB blitz or how each OLB might get a jump by shifting one defensive end to the outside of an offensive tackle.

The under-shifted 3-4 front, with or without a 2-gap end, is just one of many potential variations a coordinator may align for his front seven. In fact, a coach influenced by both flavors of the 3-4 might be tempted to meld both concepts with traditional 4-3 ideas and create a monster playbook with more than 50 fronts. And pull it off with amazing success.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...the-3-4-front/
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #97
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
I like it. This put's the most talent on the field possible for the Texans which is a must.
Envisioned starters in the front 7
DE: A. Smith
NT: Mitchel/Cody/Okoye
DE:Watt
OLB: Mario
OLB: Reed/Barwin

Can't hate that lineup.
NICE! I can't wait to see these guys on the field!
Old 05-07-2011   #98
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When you play standing up, you can move around any where along the line to give the offense some thing to think about.
Also, in some instance, you might be able to decipher the protection call.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #99
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mario is going to have his hand off the ground quite a bit when he's pass rushing. The idea that the NT and both DE's are responsible for a single gap and the ILB's clean up what gaps they don't is what Phillips has used before in Dallas and in Buffalo. He's had huge NT's before (Williams and Washington) and have used them as 2-gap players but he has proven his defense effective with having 3 guys on the line who aren't monsters. In the 4-3's that we have run Mario gets about. . . I'd say 7/8ths of his total snaps from a 3 point stance. In this new defense I'm willing to bet that number goes down to 1/2 or less.

That's why you'd say that Wade Phillips's 3-4 has variations.
Old 05-07-2011   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX View Post
Yeah, this was my first thought, when I read the Phillips quote.
Yeah, Phillips/MW have sure changed their tunes. It seems as though catering to MW will never end. The Texans love fest continues. Typical Texans.

BTW, didn't Phillips reside over the worst defense in Cowgirls history? Were they predictable or unpredictable?

I'll tell you what they were. Terrible, But Phillips is going to change everything in one yr. LOL

I cant wait for a hard a** like Cowher to come in and change the culture of this club. Oh well maybe next yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read