Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2011   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Will Use Mario at LB

What gar resonsibility did Ted Washington have in Buffalo under Wade? Jamal Williams in S.D. ?

I think Wade is going to pick up a vet NT on the cheap to play about 20 plays a game to go along with Mitchell and Cody.

It woudn't suprise me if Pat or Jamal Williams is a Texan next yr.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #62
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25135 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Let`s just put Mario where he will play best - or where it helps the team most. One thing is for sure: on 95% of the plays he will rush the passer (or trying to stop the run) - on the remaining he might go into coverage - just for a change of pace. If I remember correctly he did so sometimes last season as well.

Hand up or hand down - he will do fine. Im pretty sure that Wade will move his guys around a lot. Always look for the best matchups and the best ways to win. We have great flexibility now (with several guys that can play multiple positions) - let`s use it to our advantage.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #63
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i love the move!!!! watch out peyton!!!!!
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #64
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the time when the other team is in an obvious passing down, we're in nickel or dime package which means we'll have 4 down lineman anyway and Mario can rush the passer from that
Old 05-05-2011   #65
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

NFLN completely shit on the idea of Mario moving to OLB.
Old 05-05-2011   #66
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
3/4....4/3.....

Whatev.
Exactly. I've quit trying to figure out what Phillips is going to do with the defense.

Just make it work, Wade.
Old 05-05-2011   #67
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
NFLN completely shit on the idea of Mario moving to OLB.
Yes and NO. McGuiness(sp) acted like there was only one 3-4 even after Sapp told him that Ware basically never drops in coverage.
Old 05-05-2011   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This losing weight business and rushing the passer on most plays and dropping back in others has me more than just a little concerned. For one, I believe opponents will game plan their TEs to blow by Mario. If so, Mario will always have to have a "guardian angel" on the team pulled away solely there to watch his butt.

I hope that 5 games into the season, we aren't looking at this DE to OLB switch situation.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This losing weight business and rushing the passer on most plays and dropping back in others has me more than just a little concerned. For one, I believe opponents will game plan their TEs to blow by Mario. If so, Mario will always have to have a "guardian angel" on the team pulled away solely there to watch his butt.

I hope that 5 games into the season, we aren't looking at this DE to OLB switch situation.

Doc, I kept on telling you that the SOLB do not run with the TE.
There are 6 other defenders back there to cover 5 offensive weapons.
When Mario drops back in the 3-4 (which he did last year) would be just the same as he dropped back as a 4-3 DE many moons ago, into a short zone as to allow other guys to blitz.
You want the defense to disguise their blitzes and zone dogs, don't you?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #70
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doc, I kept on telling you that the SOLB do not run with the TE.
There are 6 other defenders back there to cover 5 offensive weapons.
When Mario drops back in the 3-4 (which he did last year) would be just the same as he dropped back as a 4-3 DE many moons ago, into a short zone as to allow other guys to blitz.
You want the defense to disguise their blitzes and zone dogs, don't you?
I certainly do. But I'm still wondering how really much more "unpredictable" this scheme is actually going to be than if Mario is DE and we have 3 fast OLBs on the field.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #71
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the reasons for this move could be Mario's durability. A 3-4 DE gets beat up, and Mario isn't long for that kind of wear.

I also don't have high hopes for this defense in the first half of the season because of the lockout. It'll be a big experiment anyway, so you'd might as well move the furniture around until you find what works.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #72
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I certainly do. But I'm still wondering how really much more "unpredictable" this scheme is actually going to be than if Mario is DE and we have 3 fast OLBs on the field.
If he's got his hand on the ground, you know where he is and you know that 99 times out of 100, he's coming; occasionally, he'll stand up from that position and back into a zone in a zone blitz situation. If he's got his hand off the ground, he doesn't have to come from the edge. He can start standing on one end and then move all the way across the line and pick any place to rush from. This screws the hell out of the blocking assignments. Or at least, it can if done right.

Also, even if he just stands up and holds his arms out every so often while someone else rushes, that will block certain passing lanes. And from that sort of position, he can even play as a spy and/or come on a delayed blitz once he sees a passing lane develop.

If done right, that can be genius. Bush tried it and it was never genius but that doesn't mean that it can't be.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
One of the reasons for this move could be Mario's durability. A 3-4 DE gets beat up, and Mario isn't long for that kind of wear.

I also don't have high hopes for this defense in the first half of the season because of the lockout. It'll be a big experiment anyway, so you'd might as well move the furniture around until you find what works.
That's a good point. But I think that's also why they've been talking more about rotating Mario in and out more. Last year, it seemed they rotated Mario more than in previous years. There have been times when it seems like he never comes off the field while the defense is out there.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #74
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Dallas version of the Wade defense was not very "unpredictable" even in the years the defense was good. Almost no blitzing from the DBs with the two OLBs primarily rushing. His ideas is putting people in the best spots to do what they do best versus trick the offense.
Old 05-06-2011   #75
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain's article in the Chronic:

Quote:
The more tape Wade Phillips watches of Texans defensive end Mario Williams, the more he sees DeMarcus Ware.

Phillips, who's switching the Texans' defense to a 3-4, isn't comparing Williams to the Dallas Cowboys' Ware, an outside linebacker who is the NFL's pre-eminent pass rusher. But he is putting Williams at the same position that has enabled Ware to register an NFL-high 60 sacks over the last four seasons and 80 in his six-year career.

"I think he's the rush guy we need," Phillips said. "You have to put him in the spot that gives him the best chance to rush the passer all the time and be your star rusher.

"He's got the talent. With him standing up, he lines up a little wider, and he's coming every time on a different angle. This gives him the chance to be the premier rusher, just like DeMarcus."
Phillips coached Ware for almost 3 1/2 years until being fired during the 2010 season.

"A lot of players have gotten a lot of sacks playing defensive end in our defense, but the Will (weak side) linebacker is the premier guy," Phillips said. "He's just too talented to not give him the opportunity to be the guy."
I'm just wondering when Phillips came to this conclusion. Before or after Aldon Smith went 7th to the Niners?

Mario digs it.

Quote:
"I feel great about it," Williams said about moving to weak-side linebacker. "What an opportunity for me.

"Wade told me he'll put me in the best position to make plays, and the biggest thing that got my attention was when he said, 'Just go.' He wants me to get after the quarterback 90 percent of the time. He said, 'When the ball's snapped, I want you to go, be fast and get the quarterback.'
It allows the Texans to put their best players on the field. And Reed is insurance in case Barwin is not 100%. We'll see how it works (hopefully).
Old 05-06-2011   #76
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it almost comical that we have discussed it all day long .... and then Mclame writes his article. Seems to be a common theme around here lately.

Dont think Ive seen a news outlet worse than the Crapical ever.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #77
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
McClain's article in the Chronic:

I'm just wondering when Phillips came to this conclusion. Before or after Aldon Smith went 7th to the Niners?
Yeah, this was my first thought, when I read the Phillips quote.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #78
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I find it almost comical that we have discussed it all day long .... and then Mclame writes his article. Seems to be a common theme around here lately.

Dont think Ive seen a news outlet worse than the Crapical ever.
Maybe if you'd been paying attention you would have learned that the whole thing came about in his blog when he said he interviewed Philips and it would come out in the Friday paper. Which it did, so the common theme appears to be you don't know what your complaining about.
Old 05-06-2011   #79
mugrakers
Rookie

Rep Power: 136 mugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Maybe if you'd been paying attention you would have learned that the whole thing came about in his blog when he said he interviewed Philips and it would come out in the Friday paper. Which it did, so the common theme appears to be you don't know what your complaining about.
Completely agree. Also, McClain actually has quotes from Williams and Wade Phillips directly commenting on the subject matter of the article. I'm pretty sick of people bashing everyone and anyone except for their homeboy.
mugrakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #80
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't see how Mario could be 270-275. Even at 290-295 the dude has six-pack abs. You don't get that unless you are already pretty lean.

They want him to drop 20 pounds? Of muscle? From where? I am having a hard time buying that report. (FWIW, Connor Barwin told me that he wasn't asked to change his weight any).
Not to disagree with you but I seem to remember reading where his playing weight during the season is around 275 so it's not that much of a reach and I think Philips said he currently weighs 285 so that's doable and makes the 275 playing weight sound reasonable.

If you remember during the draft news conferences Philips or his LB coach mentioned that Watt reminded him of Phil Hansen who played for the Buffalo Bills (my home town). Hansen played the strong side DE position with B.Smith on the other side. Smith was allowed to concentrate on rushing the passer while Hansen primary responsibility was to stop the run but he also had his 2 best sack year totals during Philips rein.

When you think of the draft now it seems reasonable to think that this was part of the plan all along and why Philips was so high on Watt and why they said he would start. They aren't going to use Mario in the passing lanes, his primary goal will be to cause havoc in the backfield by concentrating on nothing but rushing the passer and disrupting the running game. Anotonio Smith is going to play on the same side as Mario so that although he's technically a DE he's going to go up against the guard instead of the tackle because his responsibility will be to stop Mario.

It also makes sense now that that's why they kept the D.Line coach and changed the LB and Secondary coaches and why they said Cody and Mitchell will do fine as the NTs. Kollar teaches the an aggressive style of D.Line play which this defense will incorporate to force chaos in the backfield and hopefully cause turnovers. It seems to me that the key to doing this won't be Mario's issue but the fast development of Watt and the strong side LB's (Barwin and Reed). They seem to think that Ryans and Cushing will control the middle and actually one of them will secure the TE.

Will it work?? Only time will tell but everything they've said and done since Philips was hired and the draft confirms it, has led to this happening and been their mind set all along. JMHO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read