Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-05-2011   #21
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 37603 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Will Use Mario at LB

Mario dropped back in to cover some last year see : http://www.texansbullblog.com/film-s...es/film-study/
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Bad idea.
The kinda idea that will cost Gary and Rick their jobs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how crazy I am about this, if indeed it's true.

Quote:
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle wrote about Williams’ planned conversion in a chat Wednesday. (A full story is coming Friday.) At 6’6 and 290 pounds, Williams will look a little crazy standing up. But McClain says he plans to drop some weight and the Texans won’t count on him to cover as the weak side outside linebacker.“He’ll be up in running situations and down in passing situations. Sometimes they might change him around,” McClain writes.

Phillips plans to use Williams like he did DeMarcus Ware and “loves” Williams at OLB. It appears the team selected J.J. Watt in part to free up Williams from playing defensive end.
link

I hope the comment (how the sentence is structured) might be McClain referring to McClain himself.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Less than thrilled about this idea, unless it is closer to a 4-3 with 3 DEs, like some of you have said. Mario is athletic, but he is a DE. Keep him at DE.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

link

I hope the comment (how the sentence is structured) might be McClain referring to McClain himself.
Looks like te days of coddling MW are far from over.

MW playing OLB most of the time = 6-10, 8-8.

This is very Texans country club like. How does Gary expect his team not to be as soft as Charmin. (Like Rex Ryan said) If he's craters every time players like MW complain. At the Phillips hiring PC Gary said MW is going to have to play DE whether he likes it or not. It appears Gary is changing his tune.

Cant wait for MW not to play up to his potential again and the whole regime gets fired. Wishful thinking, BoB wont ever fire HC/GM for life Gary/Rick.

It appears the inmates are still running the asylum.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #26
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1808 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

link

I had to re-read your reply a couple of times
But once I got it I laughed my ass off. Thanx rep coming your way when i get home .
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #27
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'm really excited about this. This gives our best pass rusher the best opportunity to succeed, which is what Wade is all about. He won't hardly ever cover anyone so i don't know what y'all are so worried about. And if he drops 10-15 lbs like we're hearing, i'm sure he could cover if he had to anyway.
Old 05-05-2011   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
And if he drops 10-15 lbs like we're hearing, i'm sure he could cover if he had to anyway.
Where the heck is Mario going to drop 15 lbs. Dude is already tight at 290 lbs. He'll have to lose muscle to drop the weight.
Old 05-05-2011   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how Mario could be 270-275. Even at 290-295 the dude has six-pack abs. You don't get that unless you are already pretty lean.

They want him to drop 20 pounds? Of muscle? From where? I am having a hard time buying that report. (FWIW, Connor Barwin told me that he wasn't asked to change his weight any).

In looking for that image, I found this one. Would make for fun avatar:

Old 05-05-2011   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Less than thrilled about this idea, unless it is closer to a 4-3 with 3 DEs, like some of you have said. Mario is athletic, but he is a DE. Keep him at DE.
When you think about it from that perspective , it could be pretty nasty. Having MW , Watt(AS) and Cushing(Reed/Barwin) coming all from one side of the field would be near impossible to block.

I wonder how much if any Wade shows this type of look in preseason games.

If MW isnt going to be asked to cover , he's really not playing LB .... Seems more like a hybrid position.

The one thing I question with a 3DE line is how well it stands up to the run .... I think they can get plenty of pressure in a scheme like that and could bring a blitz from damn near any position.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the FO knows that the draft is over and they can quit with the smokescreens. When Phillips 1st got here, he mentioned how MW took a false step every time they asked him to stand up and it caused him to be late on the rush. The only thing that could've changed is the amount of bitchin that MW did about his stats. Not that they were stellar last season.
Old 05-05-2011   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wonder if the FO knows that the draft is over and they can quit with the smokescreens. When Phillips 1st got here, he mentioned how MW took a false step every time they asked him to stand up and it caused him to be late on the rush. The only thing that could've changed is the amount of bitchin that MW did about his stats. Not that they were stellar last season.
Which is another reason why I see him as a 3rd DE ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #33
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
LOL, Mario will never be on the depth chart as a LB. Walrus tweet aside. As AT said, he may sometimes not put his hand down. That doesn't make him a LB.

And WTF about Mario not being as athletic as Peppers?
I would equate Mario's new position to the roaming linebacker. Sometimes 3 point, sometimes 2 point. But mostly rushing on every play. Some call it elephant. I think thats what Orakpo is referred to.

Now we just need a cool animal name to call his position.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Where the heck is Mario going to drop 15 lbs. Dude is already tight at 290 lbs. He'll have to lose muscle to drop the weight.
Agreed! I met him in person. The dude's pretty cut up for someone that size. If I had to guess, he'd be closer to 280 than he is to 290 right now.

But you're right, losing weight would hurt more than help him.
Old 05-05-2011   #35
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we could have him play some Safety too!?!?!
Old 05-05-2011   #36
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Mario dropped back in to cover some last year see : http://www.texansbullblog.com/film-s...es/film-study/
Dropping back once every 2 games is alot easier to disguise than dropping back 20 snaps a game.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could do it if he wanted ? In the Denver game his second year , I saw a lot of agility from a big dude . He also had a 1.60 10 yard split at his combine at the weight of 295 . Robert Quinn had a 1.61 .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2006&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DE
Old 05-05-2011   #38
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario could benefit from some yoga/flexibility training.
Old 05-05-2011   #39
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

All of this weight issues regarding Mario whether he should lose weight or gain weight or whatever isn't the issue.

What the guy needs is an "effort" insert into his heart. If the guy just went full speed all of the time and got one of those "non stop motors" that people like to use as a term for guys that go all out on every play, then he'd be a lot more effective and he could actually dominate. He's never been that kind of player with an attitude like that though and college scouts as well as NFL scouts criticized him for that a lot before he entered the league and was drafted. He's been that guy since we got him. He needs an effort battery inserted into him is what he needs.

Putting him at LB or DE or wherever won't change a thing until he decides to go all out on every play like he is paid to. The idea of him being at LB is intriguing on paper, but realistically I don't think it will be an effective experiment because I don't think he'll be fast enough to get to the QB from that position. I could certainly be wrong though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #40
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone needs to explain to me Wade's "hybrid" 3-4. People keep saying its more of a 4-3 so even if they move Mario to "rush linebacker", the fact that it's still closer to a 4-3 means his position duties won't change too much and its more of a "title" change?
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read