Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2011   #1
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cherry Pick the Actual Draft

It's simple really. State: (i) who you would have chosen at the spots the Texans picked; (ii) explain your reasoning; (iii) live with the trades that were made and cherry pick from those spots - don't make up other trades or undo the trade.

Here's mine. And by the way, I liked the Texans draft and would give it a A. I freely admit that their draft could easily be better than my cherry pick, which is done with perfect hindsight. I notice that my early picks have higher ceilings but significantly lower floors.

Round 1, 11th Pick: Robert Quinn. He is our pass rushing OLB. It's a risk, but serious upside with a tremendous athlete.

Round 2, 10th Pick: Stephen Paea or Marvin Austin. I think we have crap at NT.

Round 2, 28th Pick: Brandon Harris. Great Pick at this spot. Tremendous value.

Round 4, 30th Pick: I would have taken Davon House over Rock Carmichael, but its basically a toss up. I trust LZ's analysis and he liked Carmichael quite a bit.

Round 5, 13th Pick: I like the Shiloh Keo pick the least. I'd have taken Chris Carter. You can't have enough OLB's in the 3-4 and too many of our LBs are coming off serious injury/overtrained.

Round 5, 21st Pick: I like the TJ Yates pick. I actually trust Kubiak to develop a QB and I like that Yates can take over as QB2 this year since he is familiar with the system

Round 7: I don't know and don't really give a crap. i would take the two best safeties on the board, but would plan on bringing in a veteran FA to pair with Glover Quinn.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cherry Pick the Actual Draft

Round 1, 11th Pick: Watt, J.J. DE 6'5" 290 Wisconsin

Round 2, 10th Pick:Reed, Brooks OLB 6'3" 263 Arizona

Round 2, 28th Pick:Ellis, Kenrick DT 6'5" 346 Hampton

Round 4, 30th Pick:Sands, Robert FS 6'4" 217 West Virginia

Round 5, 13th Pick:Paul, Niles WR 6'1" 224 Nebraska

Round 5, 21st Pick:Powe, Jerrell DT 6'2" 335 Mississippi

Round 7, 11th pick Havili, Stanley RB 6'0" 227 USC

And just for TEXANMIKE (AKA) ChihuahuaMike, with the 51st pick of the 7th round in the 2011 NFL draft the Houston Texans Select as Mr Irrelivant - Mark Herzlich ILB 6'4" 244 Boston College

Last edited by mussop; 05-05-2011 at 09:42 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #3
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Round 1, 11th Pick: Watt, J.J. DE 6'5" 290 Wisconsin

Round 2, 10th Pick:Reed, Brooks OLB 6'3" 263 Arizona

Round 2, 28th Pick:Ellis, Kenrick DT 6'5" 346 Hampton

Round 4, 30th Pick:Sands, Robert FS 6'4" 217 West Virginia

Round 5, 13th Pick:Paul, Niles WR 6'1" 224 Nebraska

Round 5, 21st Pick:Powe, Jerrell DT 6'2" 335 Mississippi

Round 7, 11th pick Havili, Stanley RB 6'0" 227 USC

And just for TEXANMIKE (AKA) JR, with the 51st pick of the 7th round in the 2011 NFL draft the Houston Texans Select as Mr Irrelivant - Mark Herzlich ILB 6'4" 244 Boston College
LOL@ JR.

I got nothing else for this kid. Some day, someone will teach him to wipe his nose.

I am, of course honored by your mention of me. It would seem that I was able to make an impression. Thank you for being entertaining for a few hours.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #4
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post
It's simple really. State: (i) who you would have chosen at the spots the Texans picked; (ii) explain your reasoning; (iii) live with the trades that were made and cherry pick from those spots - don't make up other trades or undo the trade.

Here's mine. And by the way, I liked the Texans draft and would give it a A. I freely admit that their draft could easily be better than my cherry pick, which is done with perfect hindsight. I notice that my early picks have higher ceilings but significantly lower floors.

Round 1, 11th Pick: Robert Quinn. He is our pass rushing OLB. It's a risk, but serious upside with a tremendous athlete.

Round 4, 30th Pick: I would have taken Davon House over Rock Carmichael, but its basically a toss up. I trust LZ's analysis and he liked Carmichael quite a bit.

Round 5, 13th Pick: I like the Shiloh Keo pick the least. I'd have taken Chris Carter. You can't have enough OLB's in the 3-4 and too many of our LBs are coming off serious injury/overtrained.

Round 5, 21st Pick: I like the TJ Yates pick. I actually trust Kubiak to develop a QB and I like that Yates can take over as QB2 this year since he is familiar with the system

Round 7: I don't know and don't really give a crap. i would take the two best safeties on the board, but would plan on bringing in a veteran FA to pair with Glover Quinn.
Toxic- I like your cherry picks! It's almost close to the players I wanted.
Old 05-05-2011   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have liked Robert Quinn too, but I think the combo of Watt and Reed is more enticing. Also you have to be ecstatic about Harris in the 2nd as well.

1: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin
2: Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona
2: Harris, CB, Miami (FL)

I am keeping my pick in the 4th instead of trading.

4: Quinton Carter, S Oklahoma
6: Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi
7: Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State
7: DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #6
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't have changed any of the top 3...seriously...that's hard to say with the 20/20 hindsight of a cherry pick.

The thing the troubled me most about Quinn was him not playing in 2010. A LOT can happen in a year's time...if you want some entertainment look at some 2011 mock drafts from this time last year.

There are some guys that were projected in the 1st that went 3rd...7th...and UDFA. Some had Amukamara ahead of Peterson. I just have a problem picking a guy that didn't play last year. Too much uncertainty
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

2: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
2: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (FL)
4: Davon House, CB, New Mexico St.
5: Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho
5: Chris Carter, ILB/OLB, Fresno St.
7: Chris Neild, NT, West Virginia
7: Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College

To be honest, I would have been happy if we traded up from the 3rd and instead of Harris we took Chris Carter... but he dropped to the 5th round.

I was higher on House than Carmichael but feel fairly indifferent, Rashad can play S too so I like that versatility.

In the 7th, there were a lot of players I liked: Chris Neild - NT, Lolomana Mikaele - NT, Bruce Miller - LB, Jeremy Beal - LB, Lee Ziemba - OL, Stan Havili - FB/RB. I understand not picking up Herzlich due to medical reasons (insurance costs and all) but he would have been an awesome Mr. Irrelevant.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2011   #8
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

To be honest, I would have been happy if we traded up from the 3rd and instead of Harris we took Chris Carter... but he dropped to the 5th round.

I was higher on House than Carmichael but feel fairly indifferent, Rashad can play S too so I like that versatility.

In the 7th, there were a lot of players I liked: Chris Neild - NT, Lolomana Mikaele - NT, Bruce Miller - LB, Jeremy Beal - LB, Lee Ziemba - OL, Stan Havili - FB/RB. I understand not picking up Herzlich due to medical reasons (insurance costs and all) but he would have been an awesome Mr. Irrelevant.
I'm thinking that the Texans not taking a FB bodes well for re-signing Vonte Leach....
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have taken Cameron Jordan over JJ Watt and Gregg Little, Jaiquawn Jarrett, or Stephen Paea over Brooks Reed.
Old 05-05-2011   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. DB Ras-I Dowling

2. DB Aaron Williams

3. FS Rahim Moore

4. DB Marcus Gilchrist

5. SS Ahmad Black

6. FS Robert Sands

7. FS Mark Legree

PS-I figure if we draft nothing but safeties, we'll get a good one or two one of these years...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I'm thinking that the Texans not taking a FB bodes well for re-signing Vonte Leach....
Myself as well. That and the fact that Rick Smith is on record as saying the Texans want to resign him. Hope they can agree on a number. I think they will.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post

I really like this draft. I would not gamble on QUinn as we need a slam dunk player. Watt is good and as safe as you can get. I wanted Taylor in 2nd but not there & we got the OLB. I was hoping for a Nose in 3rd but was shocked whenwe traded up to get Harris. I've been his biggest fan for a long time. Davon was a good CB but I like the size of Rashad who should be able to play safety also. The pro day speed was a surprised as I had moved him off my Texans board.
Old 05-06-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

thats pretty damn good. I'm real satisfied with Rick Smith's haul as is. I like how he worked the boards, moving both up & down, identifying need with specific type of player (effort guys) & being decisive to acquire them, mark of a champion in my book.

only pick that ticked me off (since grown to like it) was Yates in 5th. Given this is a QB driven league & Houston has a pretty good developer of QB's in Kubiak/Dennison it makes sense with the back-up position in flux & not locked down. also like addressing OL with developmental player to keep the pipeline full.

Lots of quality undrafted free agents so expect the Texans to be aggressive to address needs not filled via the draft like NT/SS. There is one thing which really stands out with a lot of these guys & thats with character make-up. Could be on field altercations, taking plays off, breaking team rules or criminal activity questions. So as a guy who believes in second chances & rehabilitation, not getting drafted my serve as a wake-up call, causing them to pause & take football business more seriously.

With that in mind, along with Phillips one-gap penetrating scheme, I'm just going to mention one undrafted guy who could actually compete, assuming his head is on straight, for rotational defensive line minutes @ nose tackle, who fits undersized Wade Phillips requirements inside, quick of the snap, good lateral quickness, good effort, high motor, tough playing low & explosive that's Mike Blanc, Auburn DT 6020 295.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #14
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Nick Fairley, DT
Watt may be the easiest to coach, but Fairley is much more talented. If the coaches are too lazy or incompetent to get better production out of Fairley than Watt is even capable of, then they should be fired. Did more than one person (there is always one) on this board really have Watt ahead of Fairley and Quinn and Jordan and Amakamara before the Texans handed in their card?

2. Brooks Reed, OLB/DE
Reed seems to be the best pick here, especially having not gone LB in round 1.

2. Brandon Harris, CB
Great move to trade up for Harris.

4. Rashad Carmichael. CB/S
No one here jumps out as the clearly best. I put Carmichael slightly ahead of House.

5. Chris Carter, OLB
I don't hate the Keo pick. We definitely need safeties, but Keo seems more like a special teams player.

5. Quan Sturdivant, ILB
Carter and Sturdivant strengthen both OLB and ILB. As for the "Kubiak is a great developer of QBs" - I don't give him credit for Elway (he was Elway's backup, by the time Kubiak retired as a player and starting coaching Elway was already Elway. I also don't give credit to Jim Sorgi as a great developer of QBs). Kubiak's development of QBs in the last five years - HWSNBN, Rosencopter, Dave Ragone, Quinn Gray, Shane Boyd, Matt Schaub, Alex Brink, Dan O, and Matt Leinart. Yates is not rated nearly as highly as Ragone or Leinart so my hopes aren't too high.

7. Lawrence Guy, DT
Strengthen the D-Line depth.

7. DeAndre McDaniel, S
We currently have zero starting safeties. McDaniel probably gets significant playing time on this team, maybe even starts. In a "live" draft (instead of a cherry pick) I probably would have picked him in the 5th round. He must interview very poorly - I guess he gnawed the heads off of puppies and kittens.

My draft gives a better D-Line, better LBs, and better Defensive backfield than the Texans actual draft. Their draft gives better QB and OT on the practice squad.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
1. Nick Fairley, DT
Watt may be the easiest to coach, but Fairley is much more talented. If the coaches are too lazy or incompetent to get better production out of Fairley than Watt is even capable of, then they should be fired. Did more than one person (there is always one) on this board really have Watt ahead of Fairley and Quinn and Jordan and Amakamara before the Texans handed in their card?

2. Brooks Reed, OLB/DE

2. Brandon Harris, CB

No one here jumps out as the clearly best. I put Carmichael slightly ahead of House.

5. Chris Carter, OLB
I don't hate the Keo pick. We definitely need safeties, but Keo seems more like a special teams player.

5. Quan Sturdivant, ILB
Carter and Sturdivant strengthen both OLB and ILB. As for the "Kubiak is a great developer of QBs" - I don't give him credit for Elway (he was Elway's backup, by the time Kubiak retired as a player and starting coaching Elway was already Elway. I also don't give credit to Jim Sorgi as a great developer of QBs). Kubiak's development of QBs in the last five years - HWSNBN, Rosencopter, Dave Ragone, Quinn Gray, Shane Boyd, Matt Schaub, Alex Brink, Dan O, and Matt Leinart. Yates is not rated nearly as highly as Ragone or Leinart so my hopes aren't too high.

7. Lawrence Guy, DT

7. DeAndre McDaniel, S
We currently have zero starting safeties. McDaniel probably gets significant playing time on this team, maybe even starts. In a "live" draft (instead of a cherry pick) I probably would have picked him in the 5th round. He must interview very poorly - I guess he gnawed the heads off of puppies and kittens.

My draft gives a better D-Line, better LBs, and better Defensive backfield than the Texans actual draft. Their draft gives better QB and OT on the practice squad.
I am not going to cherry pick the draft in this post, because I am happy as to how it went down. Would I change 1 or two picks? Sure, but nothing of real consequence. I will, however, discuss your post.

Watt/Fairly- I think Watt is better than all the players listed. Not only is he the safest pick (Jordan is pretty damn safe as well), he has the highest upside. Look at the athletic (combine/pro day) numbers. Watt wins. Look at the stats. Watt wins. Look at work ethic, leadership. Watt wins. Also, consider position. Fairly is built for a 4-3 DT, while Watt is built for 3-4 DE. Watt is simply the better pick.

Reed/Reed

Harris/Harris

Carmichael/Carmichael

Carter/Keo- Wash in my opinion. I would take either player here.

Yates/Sturdivant- I am not wild about the Yates pick, but I would take him over Sturdivant. Yates played in the Texans offense (pretty much), is a long term starter with good mobility and accuracy. Sit him behind Schaub for a couple years, and we have our QB of the future if everything goes right.

Newton/Guy- Newton bolsters the OL much in the same way Guy bolsters the DL. Wash here, but Newton gets the nod due to Watt in the 1st.

Ozougwu/McDaniels- I hate both these players. McDaniels is a thug who beats women, while Ozougwu is likely a PS guy. I would have taken Williams from UNC to lock down the FS position.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Nick Fairley, DT

2. Brooks Reed, OLB/DE

2. Brandon Harris, CB

5. Chris Carter, OLB

5. Quan Sturdivant, ILB

7. Lawrence Guy, DT

7. DeAndre McDaniel, S

Watt is a better 3-4 DE fit than Fairley in Wade Phillips scheme. I do like your 5th's & 7th's however

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #17
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Watt is a better 3-4 DE fit than Fairley in Wade Phillips scheme. I do like your 5th's & 7th's however
So the argument for Watt over Fairley is the same as the argument for Travis Johnson over Derrick Johnson in 2005 - fits the system better. At some point if only less talented players fit your system, maybe the system is a problem. I hope this year works out better than 2005 did. Obi Wade Phillips - you are our only hope!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So the argument for Watt over Fairley is the same as the argument for Travis Johnson over Derrick Johnson in 2005 - fits the system better. At some point if only less talented players fit your system, maybe the system is a problem. I hope this year works out better than 2005 did. Obi Wade Phillips - you are our only hope!
Quite possible the Texans didn't want a 3rd player on the DL that's a high pick/questionable motivation. I would've taken Fairley as well but that does not mean that he was the for sure correct pick. Travis Johnson stands out because of how bad he was then you see who we passed to get him and you get mad. If Watt is as unproductive as TJ then yeah people are going to say it was a terrible pick, but if he makes the defense work and we improve then nobody is going to care.

I think if Fairley went to the Titans we would've been in a world of trouble because they seem to get the most out of questionable motor guys. However, we seem to have gotten lucky as none of the other AFCS teams thought it to be wise to take one of the elite DL prospects or one of the sliders (Bowers, Austin).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read